Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 12:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times

Advertisements

Miami is going crazy w spring breakers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 02:43 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
The 'new' Sarasota County sign up process that began at noonish today, was a mostly non-working/crashed site, from our perspective...

My CEO, who is not quite 65, signed up in the previous rounds and had a 'number' of ~ 140,000 a couple weeks ago.

She, and anyone under 65 were supposedly wiped off the previous rolls, so she worked at getting re-reg'd today, noon on.

The reg failed time after time, with the resend PW seeming to be the fault, as she was never able to establish her previous PW or apply for/make page work for 'new' PW.

Realizing the 'new site' was just up today, I get that it was probably not cleanly coded or supported, but the current Powerball winning like version will hopefully get 'better' over the next few days.

The possible phone numbers were busy, non answered even by a prompt or robot...

She may just wait for our return to our Mtn home in late April for the appt. in a county of < 60,000 people, that is running Vax like a Rolex.
GL, mD

Old 03-15-2021, 03:06 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,303,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
The 'new' Sarasota County sign up process that began at noonish today, was a mostly non-working/crashed site, from our perspective...

My CEO, who is not quite 65

She may just wait for our return to our Mtn home in late April for the appt. in a county of < 60,000 people, that is running Vax like a Rolex.
Much easier to go to Publix web site at 7am and get an appt. I was successful the first day I tried.

Publix releases new appts several days per week at 7am precise. They usually "sell out" within an hour or less. Open 2 or 3 browsers ahead of time and use them all. Be ready with all your browsers open by 6:55am. Publix web site announces the days/dates ahead of time.

Publix auto refreshes the browsers every 60 seconds. You can refresh the browser more often even though they say not to do this. Publix only allows X number of people into the registration system at once (starting at 7am). So you have to refresh browser for another try to get in. A large blue button will appear at the top of the screen if you get lucky. You click on that button to register for an appt for the vaccine. I forgot what the blue button says - something to Register for an Appt.(It might be a green button but it's large at at the top of the web site. You can only see if IF you are allowed to enter into the appt registration system). Initially you dont see the blue button. I didn't see the button until around 7:10 am after several browser refreshes. That's why 3 browsers is helpful. 3x the chance of getting the blue button. Then type fast. I think one day per week they give J&J and other days Moderna or Pfizer. They tell you ahead of time if that day is for J&J.

Good luck.

I read that Publix is giving priority to school staff over everyone else. I made my appt before they did this. Not sure how that new school staff priority impacts above appt setting for people that aren't school staff.

OH - the Federal vax site in Tampa (on Waters avenue) allows walk ups and drive ups without appt. They generally ask people to set appts but they also allow people that don't have an appt. Pls check ahead of time before making the drive. I think it's open 7 days a week something like 7am-7pm but I am not 100% sure of hours. Not sure if they have Moderna, J&J or Pfizer or choice. Once I read they had some J&J but you didnt have to get J&J if you wanted a diff brand. Not sure which site this was but it was one of the Fed sites in Florida. Tampa, Jax, Miami, Orlando have the big fed vax sites. They are run by FEMA I think.

Last edited by Variable; 03-15-2021 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-15-2021, 05:42 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
^ My CEO was on the computer from 6:55 on this morning, for a few hours, trying to nail a Publix vax appt.

Unsuccessful, and the only bite was a 10:00 ish PM slot in North Port. We are not desperate for that kind of chase.

She will try again on Wed AM for the J&J one shot via Publix site.

As calendar and the month long gap between shots is not on our side, we may pause and get registered in NC, where we will return to in mid-late April.

But, thank you for the post, info and ideas...we have dodged TheCooties thus far, being extremely careful and I think we can continue for another monthish, minus Vax.
GL, ,mD

Old 03-18-2021, 07:13 AM

7,979 posts, read 4,627,736 times
COVID Cases Are Rising Again in 14 States, Primarily in the Upper Midwest and New York Area

https://people.com/health/covid-case...ates/?amp=true

New COVID-19 infections are again on the rise in parts of the U.S., as the weary country moves past the one-year anniversary of the pandemic and waits to be vaccinated.

In 14 states across the country, cases have risen by more than 10% this week compared to the week prior, CNN reported. The increases are primarily happening in the upper Midwest, the New York area and the Mid-Atlantic, reversing the downward trend that has been happening since mid-January.

Michigan is seeing the largest jump, with cases increasing 50% over the last two weeks. Other Midwestern states like Montana, North Dakota and Idaho are also dealing with an increase in infections.

On the East Coast, while New York state has a low caseload, New York City is still seeing around 3,500 cases a day, as the positivity rate stays at about 7%. Cases in New Jersey and Connecticut are also growing, along with Mid-Atlantic states like Delaware and Maryland.

"There's a resurgence going on here," disease tracker David Rubin, director of PolicyLab at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, told the Washington Post of the U.S. "There's clearly been a change here in the last couple of weeks."

U.S. cases were on a steep decline after the deadly holiday surge, when the country saw a record-breaking 300,000 new infections in a single day. In the last week, cases have averaged around 55,000 a day, according to The New York Times, a number that is still very worrisome.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:25 AM

Johnson & Johnson vaccine shipments halted in Florida for several weeks, DeSantis says

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

If you are hunting for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in Florida, you will be disappointed.

At a news conference Wednesday in Palm Harbor, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said the state will not get a new shipment of the single-shot vaccine for several weeks.

“As we get more allocated for Johnson & Johnson we will let everyone know,” DeSantis said Wednesday. “If you’ve been waiting and you have an opportunity to get Pfizer or Moderna I’d recommend getting it because I can’t guarantee you J&J is going to be available in the next week or the week after. We are looking two or three weeks into the future where we don’t have J&J allocation.”

The state continues to receive Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but Florida’s allotment has not increased. “We’ve been very flat for the last couple of weeks and it looks like the next couple of weeks in the future is going to be flat as well,” DeSantis said.

The governor held out hope that more doses could arrive and the scenario could change.

“If we get the J&J to start flowing, a little bit more on Pfizer and Moderna, once that happens you’d be able to open it up to everyone,” he said.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:34 AM

‘It’s a very special picture.’ Why vaccine safety experts put the brakes on AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...eca-s-covid-19

The decision this week by more than 20 European countries to temporarily stop using AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine has opened a rift between vaccine safety experts, who say the cases of serious clotting and bleeding that triggered the pause are alarming and unusual, and public health officials concerned that the immunization pause on a continent in the grip of the pandemic’s third wave could take a heavy toll.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:45 AM

Study: Repeat COVID-19 infections rare, but protection not reliable

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...le/ar-BB1eHeqH

People who have recovered from a COVID-19 infection are likely to be protected from reinfection for at least six months, but according to a study published Wednesday, that protection drops dramatically for people over the age of 65.

The study, which was published in The Lancet, found protection in the general population to be 80 percent or higher in those younger than 65, but approximately 47 percent in those aged 65 years and older, meaning they were more likely to be infected again.

The study found that among people under age 65 who had COVID-19 during the first wave, between March and May 2020, only 72 out of more than 11,000 tested positive again during the second wave from September to December 2020.

The infection rate during the second wave was five times higher for people who tested negative during the first wave.

For people over age 65, the numbers were slightly higher, with 17 out of 1,931 testing positive twice. The study found 2 percent of people over age 65 who tested negative in the first wave subsequently tested positive during the second wave.

The authors found no evidence that protection against repeat infection was waning after six months of follow-up, but because COVID-19 was only discovered in December 2019, they said longer-term studies are needed.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:51 AM

European countries at the start of a third wave of Covid, experts warn

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...rn/ar-BB1eHCuZ

Large parts of Europe are at the start of a third coronavirus wave, experts have said, with warnings that the decision to pause the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine over health concerns is likely lead to a rise in cases and a high number of deaths as more contagious new variants account for the majority of cases.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:56 AM

‘Now is the time to get an appointment.’ Younger Manatee residents can get COVID shots

https://www.bradenton.com/news/coron...250016079.html

Every Manatee County senior who registered with the county’s COVID-19 vaccination standby pool has received at least one opportunity for an appointment.

Manatee County residents who are between the age of 60 and 64, who recently became eligible in Florida to get shots, have already begun receiving appointments, Director of Public Safety Jacob Saur said. About 5,700 residents who are either in that age group or are healthcare workers, recently registered with the county’s COVID-19 vaccination standby pool.

“We are moving through the 60 to 64 quickly,” Saur said. “Now is the time to get an appointment before the governor lowers the age limits again.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area