Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 03:39 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,116 times

Advertisements

Are the restaurants officially closed for dine in only? Are they still open for take out? Here in Ohio restaurants are closed for dine in, but take out is still an option. That being said, BW3's last night had a line out the door for take out that most definitely was not practicing acceptable distancing. AS I was standing in line I was thinking about how hard it would be only allow online pre-paid orders, have the customer call when they arrive and deliver the order their car. You would think no one from BW3's has ever been to Chik-fil-a. Anyway, here in OH is was 70 degrees this morning so of course we had to take a ride in the convertible; which of course made us miss Florida that much more. Six hours later the temp has dropped 15 degrees and tomorrow the high will be 42. Great. I don't know how much longer I can hold my wife back from going to the condo in SRQ. At least if nothing else we could ride around in the convertible in Florida and get some sunshine, at least until they make us shelter at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 03:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Are the restaurants officially closed for dine in only? Are they still open for take out? Here in Ohio restaurants are closed for dine in, but take out is still an option. That being said, BW3's last night had a line out the door for take out that most definitely was not practicing acceptable distancing. AS I was standing in line I was thinking about how hard it would be only allow online pre-paid orders, have the customer call when they arrive and deliver the order their car. You would think no one from BW3's has ever been to Chik-fil-a. Anyway, here in OH is was 70 degrees this morning so of course we had to take a ride in the convertible; which of course made us miss Florida that much more. Six hours later the temp has dropped 15 degrees and tomorrow the high will be 42. Great. I don't know how much longer I can hold my wife back from going to the condo in SRQ. At least if nothing else we could ride around in the convertible in Florida and get some sunshine, at least until they make us shelter at home.
The question is how you get to SRQ........a plane is definitely taking a chance.

If you feel OK to drive down one can still drive around and walk in the parks or neighborhoods, etc. - plenty of food and take-out,

The heat is supposedly better for avoiding the virus.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Meanwhile, Governor Ron Desantis issued an executive order on Friday to suspend the sale of food and alcohol at restaurants and close all gyms statewide. DeSantis took additional action in Broward and Palm Beach counties, closing all movie theaters, concert houses, auditoriums, playhouses, bowling alleys, arcades, gymnasiums, fitness studios and beaches through March 31 due to a sharp increase in coronavirus cases there. I am wondering how well the honor system is actully working.........
Many Florida and Cruise (Florida dock) cases have went back and are busy infecting the rest of the country...and world to a degree.

There is still virtually no testing in Florida so we don't know things.

The honor system is definitely not working among many. I know people who went to weddings last weekend and many other things like that.

On the positive side, heat and humidity are said to be possibly good things in terms of less spreading. On the bad side, some of those millions who went back to other states are likely going to start to show up back home.

I'd say among people I know...many of whom are aged - most well educated....less than 1/3rd are really walking the walk.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:52 PM

7,979 posts, read 4,627,736 times
Quote:
Yes the restaurants here are still allowed to be open for take out.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...rants-and-gyms

"Restaurants will still be allowed to do take-out orders and also will be allowed to sell alcohol for take-out or delivery with a food order."

Old 03-20-2020, 05:02 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
All decent news BUT, things are more complex than they seem.........

My daughter takes one of those drugs for an auto-immune disorder.

There is a difference between giving a drug to a few hundred thousand or a million people and giving it to 10's of millions...more drugs and types of people and conditions that it can react to and with.

Then there is the production capability - and decisions as to who is going to get it.

Remember, MANY (too many) Americans truly believe vaccines damage people....cause autism, etc....and that is with vaccines and drugs tested over literally billions of doses.

Even if everything is a "best case" scenario (and my daughter says the anti-malarial is super safe according to her doc).....these things do not appear by the billions of doses in a few weeks.

I did tell her to stash some pills away and maybe call her doc for another 90 days worth.

At this point (not before, but now and forward) I think there are enough people involved outside the admin (those that really matter and do things and know things) that promising drugs with few or no side effects will not face too many obstacles.

Still, getting our hopes up too quickly is probably not a good thing....our fear is what can help us stay safe by isolating.

Even if these things come out, that is not going to save everyone. Neither will a vaccine in a year or more...as Fauci said today, that vaccine is for the 2nd wave.

I've been through this same type of thing with a loved one with a genetic disease. They know so much and they do so many tests and trials...and 20 year back we were hopeful, but 20 years have gone by with almost zero in terms of an effective cure or slowdown.

This will likely be a quicker deal only because the entire world is working on it. That is a truly amazing thing to see because the combined intelligence of mankind is quite vast.
A friend sent me this story. It's very discouraging. You are correct that your daughter needs to build up her stash of this drug, according to the article, as there reportedly already are shortages. The drug seems especially problematic for those with heart conditions.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/vi...ms/ar-BB11rIHa

The French study seemed so promising, with the drug apparently only needed for one week.

<<The researchers released their findings in a study published on Wednesday. The results showed that all six patients treated with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin tested negative for the virus after six days. Of the 20 treated with just hydroxychloroquine, 57.1% tested negative for the coronavirus after six days. Just 12.5% of the control group made up of 16 other patients tested negative.>>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...irus-treatment

Hopefully, U.S. clinicians will be able to duplicate the reported success shown in the French study.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:38 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The question is how you get to SRQ........a plane is definitely taking a chance.

If you feel OK to drive down one can still drive around and walk in the parks or neighborhoods, etc. - plenty of food and take-out,

The heat is supposedly better for avoiding the virus.
We would drive. In Florida, we could drive around in the convertible and do some kayaking. Here in Ohio, we watch TV and I do some yard work. I have heard the heat theory, but I'm not sure I believe it. Last time I checked Florida has over 2.5 times the number of cases as Ohio (432 to 170), but only has twice the population. Of course all this data is suspect, since tests appear to be scarce and the CDC does not release the exact number of cases in each state. The top health official in Ohio said a few days ago she would not be surprised to have 100,000 undiagnosed cases in Ohio right now. Probably the biggest roadblock to us heading to Florida is the condition of the health care system. I don't know this, but would suspect the Florida health care system is closer to their maximum ability to manage the virus than Ohio is. All that being said, another gloomy day with no sun and we will probably get in the car and start driving south.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:47 PM

Wallethub has ranked state preparedness to battle the COVID-19 virus. Click on the map for each state.

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-aggre...navirus/72307/

Florida is ranked 37. What is scary, and perplexing, hard-hit states New York and Washington are ranked 4th and 5th, perhaps reflecting efforts made once the virus already was vexing these states. E.g., New York and Washington rankings are boosted by their containment effort ranking.

Given its weak containment efforts and problematic healthcare system, it will be interesting to see if Florida fares worse than NY on a per capita basis when this crisis is all over. Both Washington and New York, however, were disadvantaged by their closer links to China, and to Europe in the case of NY City, and the pitiful lack of U.S. testing left these states ignorant that the wolf already was in the house.

The problem with these rankings is that Wallethub doesn't provide a detailed explanation of the data used to calculate the ratings were calculated for each state.

https://www.propertycasualty360.com/...at-414-174554/

Old 03-20-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
We would drive. In Florida, we could drive around in the convertible and do some kayaking. Here in Ohio, we watch TV and I do some yard work. I have heard the heat theory, but I'm not sure I believe it.
The heat and humidity fact - not theory - was confirmed by Dr. Fauci.

Since he is careful he said it this way "All former known respiratory virus and similar have seemed to negatively react to higher heat and humidity. That's why most virus starts in the northern drier (winter) climes and slows as the weather warms....

Of course, he will not 100% come out and say "THIS virus", but he sounded very confident...as good as an answer as you would expect to get from a scientist.

So I buy it. Very much.

No doubt Florida has done less than most states and is likely to get hard hit. On the other end of things, the terrible inequality here means that hospital beds will probably go to the "right people" and there are quite a few of them...now. I saw a chart of hospital beds and Florida, except for the SE, isn't doing bad especially off-season.

Let's fact it - if we get it we are generally sunk anyway. On our own.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Wallethub has ranked state preparedness to battle the COVID-19 virus. Click on the map for each state.

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-aggre...navirus/72307/

Florida is ranked 37. What is scary, and perplexing, hard-hit states New York and Washington are ranked 4th and 5th, perhaps reflecting efforts made once the virus already was vexing these states. E.g., New York and Washington rankings are boosted by their containment effort ranking.
Those rankings are pretty right-on. Rankings have zero to do with the number of cases....as, for instance, a number of NJ and NY and other cases (Boston) already are known to have come from Florida.

Rankings have to do with the amount of testing, the government response and such. It's obvious that ND isn't going to have millions coming and going like NY airports, etc. so NY is hard hit.

It's not what you have - it's what you do with what you have. Vast numbers all around the country will end up infected because of what Florida didn't do.

If anyone is reading this and lives in the Villages and is thinking of going back there...don't.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
We would drive. In Florida, we could drive around in the convertible and do some kayaking. Here in Ohio, we watch TV and I do some yard work. I have heard the heat theory, but I'm not sure I believe it. Last time I checked Florida has over 2.5 times the number of cases as Ohio (432 to 170), but only has twice the population. Of course all this data is suspect, since tests appear to be scarce and the CDC does not release the exact number of cases in each state. The top health official in Ohio said a few days ago she would not be surprised to have 100,000 undiagnosed cases in Ohio right now. Probably the biggest roadblock to us heading to Florida is the condition of the health care system. I don't know this, but would suspect the Florida health care system is closer to their maximum ability to manage the virus than Ohio is. All that being said, another gloomy day with no sun and we will probably get in the car and start driving south.
Don't focus on confirmed cases anywhere, as testing capacity in the U.S. is horrific, and varies greatly from state to state, and even from county to county. Ohio's confirmed cases are heavily weighted to Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) and to Greater Cleveland, because there is a much more robust testing capability there than in other parts of Ohio. Lucas County (Toledo) is shutting down testing capacity, and Ohio's governor has warned about the likelihood of continuing serious shortage of testing capacity state-wide.

See post 31 here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...l#post57623699

It's doubtful that testing prospects are much different in Florida, as apparently there is a crippling national shortage of testing supplies, including swabs and reagents, as discussed at the above link. The difference between Ohio and Florida may be that Ohio's Gov. Mike DeWine has waged an aggressive battle requiring personal sacrifices against COVID-19 and may be sharing the bad news outlook with his constituents.

A lack of testing capability may make an imminent national lock down extremely likely, as discussed in the linked post. So this paragraph and article may be most relevant to you.

<<Whether you are reading this in your living room in Vancouver, office in London, or on a subway in New York City, you need to think hard, and fast, about two crucial questions: Where, and with whom, do you want to spend the next six to 12 weeks of your life, hunkered down for the epidemic duration? And what can you do to make that place as safe as possible for yourself and those around you?>>

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/18...ckdown-coming/

If you want to rely on statistics, focus on hospitalizations and deaths, as these statistics apparently are the only reliable ones reflecting the relative degree of the COVID-19 crisis between states, as testing is so woefully inadequate and unequal in its availability.

Ohio has 39 hospitalizations and 1 death as of 3/20.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/

Florida has 117 hospitalizations and 11 deaths reported as of 3/20.

https://floridadisaster.org/globalas...03-20-1740.pdf

Florida's population is 1.85 times that of Ohio.

These numbers will grow exponentially in coming days, so you might want to examine closely the rate of change for both states. Certainly attempt to weigh the medical infrastructures of your two communities.

Two additional considerations IMO.

1) Do you want to spend the summer in Florida given the good possibility of a national lock down?

2) What happens in Florida if a hurricane or tropical storm devastate the state? Will Florida's emergency infrastructure, perhaps even FEMA, suffer with a natural disaster competing for resources with the COVID-19 epidemic? Will the red tide return in coming months making areas near the ocean a health risk, and making beaches unavailable for enjoyment?

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area