Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2021, 03:14 AM

402 posts, read 261,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I think these numbers are misleading. According to the NY Times the daily avg. for deaths in MA over the previous 7 days is 2 and the daily avg. for cases is 945. Over the past two weeks the daily avg for deaths in MA has decreased by 50%:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

According to the NY Times the daily avg. for deaths in FL over the previous 7 days is 88 and the daily avg. for cases is 19,250. Over the past two weeks the daily avg for deaths in FL has increased by 118%:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

The way that you presented the death numbers gives the "optical illusion" that recently FL is actually doing better than MA with deaths. Which certainly isn't true over the past seven days and also isn't true over the past several weeks. Perhaps you're referring to the cumulative fatality rate since the start of the pandemic? I'm more concerned with the recent trends.
The numbers from the Mayo clinic are not misleading. Their methodology is clearly stated and grounded on CDC and hospital data. It is absolutely true that the death rate among those with Covid is statistically significantly higher in Boston than Sarasota.

You are taking Florida numbers and applying them to a Sarasota and Bradenton thread. Figures in other parts of Florida are significantly higher. You are also using a politically biased source, so it is humorous you accuse real numbers of creating an optical illusion.

The facts are people are about three times more likely to have gotten Covid here last week than Boston, and 70% more likely to die in Boston if you did. That is not an illusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 07:44 AM

240 posts, read 213,008 times
This thread is somewhat weird in repeating many sources that have an agenda.

Increase in CASE number is not congruent to danger, sickness or death....period.

Outcomes are far more significant. Ask any decent physician, not the NY Times or many other periodical sources. Of course physicians encourage prevention, but they also don't promote unfounded fear and apprehension...caution, yes.

Heck, the CDC and WHO are even duplicitous in this matter.

It's easy....it's simple...get a vaccination if you want and should, if guided by your OWN physician or healthcare professional, based on your own risk profile.

You want to listen to politicians or the media or a web forum for "guidance" and valid news about local circumstances??, you go right ahead, God Bless you.

I listen to my physician, who knows me. The common cold, my physician states, is or can be a variant of corona viruses. His experience is that he has seen "variants" of influenza that have made patients deathly ill, and some have indeed died. That happens, he said, every year. He further stated that he saw similar symptoms that may have undoubtedly been Covid19/Corona back in EARLY 2019.

Do what you want to do for your own health and your family's health based on consultation with your OWN physician. My physician almost laughs out loud at the suggestion that most of the "masks" that people walk around with are effective as a prophylactic ...notwithstanding the possible use of an N95. Your own physician may disagree. My own physician suggests that it is a pacifier in most cases. Other physicians are fearful to speak out with certainty on this issue it seems to me...and buy-in to the notion that they are a bit effective.

I guess my physician is a bit less political. He advised me and my family on the use of Zinc, Vitamin D, a regimen of irrigation of saline (only) nose spray, and a few other known prescribed, cheap medicines...and if you wish, get a vaccine. But all of this is between me, my family and physician, not any politician, or bureaucrat. It's personal he states, and individual.

Many otherwise normal people seem to have "Covid on the brain" and "Covid News Fatigue".

Get a grip, live your own life, and don't lose your mind....but listen and consult with your own healthcare professional....preferably an MD that knows you. Dr. Fauci of the CDC doesn't know you, neither do the NEA, FTA, Health Department, New York Times, MSN, FOX, City-Data web posters, Ms. Psaki, Mr. Biden, or Mr. DeSantis.

Speak with your physician and skip the tortured "news wire" and "breaking news".

Last edited by KMerendino; 08-07-2021 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-07-2021, 10:22 AM

8,129 posts, read 4,654,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying941 View Post
The numbers from the Mayo clinic are not misleading. Their methodology is clearly stated and grounded on CDC and hospital data. It is absolutely true that the death rate among those with Covid is statistically significantly higher in Boston than Sarasota.

You are taking Florida numbers and applying them to a Sarasota and Bradenton thread. Figures in other parts of Florida are significantly higher. You are also using a politically biased source, so it is humorous you accuse real numbers of creating an optical illusion.

The facts are people are about three times more likely to have gotten Covid here last week than Boston, and 70% more likely to die in Boston if you did. That is not an illusion.
I don't see any death totals from the Mayo Clinic link that you provided. Can you point me to the specific link? Are you using a 7-day total for deaths or a cumulative death total since the start of the pandemic? I'm providing you with a specific link that shows over the past 7-days the daily death total for MA is 2 and for FL it's 88.

Deaths in MA: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html
Deaths in FL: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

First of all according to my sources the death rate over the past 7-days in MA (0.211%) is statistically LOWER than FL (0.457%) - and IMO based on the fact that there were only 2 deaths per day in MA over the past 7-days (through August 6) - and then to imply that the death rate in MA is "higher" is misleading because over the past 7-days Florida has 40 times the amount of total deaths as MA. Since MA only has 2 total deaths per day over the past 7 days it's not really a good comparison.

You are the one that took Florida numbers and compared them to MA. Just read your original post. You mentioned (in your original post) that your case numbers were from a 7-day avg. - then you just gave death numbers from 7/16 and 8/4 and didn't say what the starting point is. Since you gave cases from the 7-day avg one might assume that your also talking about the 7-day avg. for deaths. No way to know for sure because you didn't specify.

To insinuate that recently FL is doing better than MA with deaths (recently) is just ludicrous - and the easy way out is just to claim my source is politically motivated which is just a BS excuse.

On your original post you also said feel free to to make other comparisons - so I pointed out that total deaths in FL are much higher than MA recently - and then you fly off the rails about it. I gave you my honest opinion about your original post.

Quote:
You are taking Florida numbers and applying them to a Sarasota and Bradenton thread. Figures in other parts of Florida are significantly higher. You are also using a politically biased source

As of this moment (8/4), the 7-day averages (avoiding daily reporting variations) are as follows:

Manatee 189 daily cases, or 50 per 100,000.
Sarasota 177 daily cases, or 42 per 100,000.

Florida Fatality rate among those who tested positive was 1.60% on 7/16 and has dropped to 1.48% on 8/4.

By way of comparison only, Boston (Suffolk) 116 daily cases, or 14 per 100,000.

The Mass Fatality rate was 2.71% on 7/16 and has dropped to 2.68% on 8/4.

Mass/Boston was chosen as daily numbers were available. Feel free to make other comparisons

Last edited by wondermint2; 08-07-2021 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-07-2021, 11:36 AM

As I mentioned previously I think we're getting close to a top for this Delta wave. However school openings are a wildcard and we really won't know the effect of that until the end of August / early September. It's possible we could have a peak / plateau in cases relatively soon - followed by a secondary peak several weeks after schools open. (I'm referring to a peak in cases - hospitalizations & deaths lag new cases so they won't peak until several weeks after cases peak).

Officials split on masking children in schools as pediatric hospitals fill up with Covid-19 patients

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

The polarization surrounding mask mandates is deepening as some state and local officials spar on how to approach face coverings protocols in schools, a debate unfolding as more children contract Covid-19.

In Florida, which has the second-highest rate of new cases per capita after Louisiana, children's hospitals and staff are "overwhelmed," said Dr. Aileen Marty, an infectious disease expert at Florida International University.

"The numbers of cases in our hospitals in children and our children's hospitals are completely overwhelmed," Marty told CNN's Jim Sciutto on Friday evening.

"Our pediatricians, the nursing, the staff are exhausted, and the children are suffering. And it is absolutely devastating. ... Our children are very much affected. We've never seen numbers like this before," she said.

Marty noted that Nicklaus Children's Hospital in Miami is at 116% occupancy for Covid-19 patients.

A surge in Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations, fueled by the rapid spread of the Delta coronavirus variant, is happening in the US as millions of children are returning to schools. It is reigniting conversations on measures to lower transmission so students can safely be in the classroom.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:49 AM

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' order on masks in schools faces its first legal challenge over constitutionality

Eight Florida attorneys have filed a lawsuit against Gov. Ron DeSantis over his executive order on masks in schools, said Charles Gallagher, an attorney working on the suit.

This is the first legal challenge over the constitutionality of the governor's order on masks, Gallagher said.

"They are framing this as a parent choice issue when this is really a public health issue," Gallagher told CNN by phone.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit include parents who represent school-aged children from counties all over the state, including Miami-Dade, Orange, Hillsborough, Palm Beach and Alachua.

The lawsuit argues several points, according to Gallagher, including that the Florida Constitution guarantees a safe school environment and gives counties the power to govern themselves. DeSantis' executive order attempts to strip the power away from school districts that are run by elected officials, Gallagher said.

"The Constitution is equal justice under [the] law and therefore we think that we are on the right side of these facts," Gallagher said.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:01 PM

Sturgis attracts hundreds of thousands as Americans awaken from COVID despite Delta variant

Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to attend the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota as more Americans attend large gatherings this year following last year's coronavirus lockdowns.

The rally kicked off Friday and will last over 10 days with 700,000 people expected to attend. The event was widely criticized as a "superspreading event" last year amid the pandemic, when about 460,000 people attended.

Some state officials have urged caution on the gathering, in light of the delta variant of the virus, but have said the rally can be done "safely" with "proper precautions."

Old 08-07-2021, 12:15 PM

Florida COVID update: Record-breaking 23,903 new cases, more people than ever in hospital

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...tal/ar-AAN3s56

Florida has broken another record for COVID cases in a 24-hour period, another grim benchmark of the highly contagious delta variant.

On Saturday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 23,903 new COVID-19 cases for Friday. The day before was another record-breaker: 22,783 new novel coronavirus cases.

Saturday’s data amounts to the highest single-day case count since the pandemic began last year as the state continues record-breaking hospitalizations for the sixth straight day in a row.

On Saturday, the state recorded 13,747 hospitalizations related to COVID, with 2,750 patients in intensive care units statewide.

There were 24,086 more cases this week than last week, a 21% jump, and the percent positivity increased to 18.9% from 18.4% last week, the report said. High positivity rates indicate community spread.

There were 13,747 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida, breaking the state’s hospitalization record for the sixth day in a row, according to data from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services as of 1 p.m. Saturday. A total of 253 out of 260 hospitals reported.

About 2,753 people were in intensive care, representing 43.27% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 253 hospitals reporting. That percentage has been climbing with more hospitalizations.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:26 PM

New CDC study shows even those who have had COVID-19 benefit from vaccine

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...ine/ar-AAN2iaS

A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows people who have had COVID-19 are more likely to get COVID-19 again if they are unvaccinated.

The study focused on hundreds of residents in Kentucky, all of whom have had COVID-19 but only some have since been vaccinated.

According to the CDC, those who had not been vaccinated were more than twice as likely to get COVID-19 again.

“Actually, folks who had not been vaccinated were over 2.3 times more likely to get COVID a second time,” said Dr. Cameron Webb.

Webb is a member of the White House COVID-19 task force.

He said this study is important in that it shows that while having had COVID-19 may protect someone for a short while, the protection doesn’t last forever.

“By the time that immunity wanes, you’re back to square one,” Webb said. “You don’t have protection against these variants, and so you’re essentially in a lot of ways like the unvaccinated people who haven’t had a natural infection.”

One question the study does not answer is how long immunity lasts in someone who has had COVID-19.

Webb said the study doesn’t answer that question because nobody knows.

“It depends on the individual, depends on the variant, depends on the immune response that you mounted,” Webb said. “There’s a lot of variability.”

Old 08-07-2021, 12:27 PM

402 posts, read 261,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I don't see any death totals from the Mayo Clinic link that you provided. Can you point me to the specific link? Are you using a 7-day total for deaths or a cumulative death total since the start of the pandemic? I'm providing you with a specific link that shows over the past 7-days the daily death total for MA is 2 and for FL it's 88.

Deaths in MA: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html
Deaths in FL: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

First of all according to my sources the death rate over the past 7-days in MA (0.211%) is statistically LOWER than FL (0.457%) - and IMO based on the fact that there were only 2 deaths per day in MA over the past 7-days (through August 6) - and then to imply that the death rate in MA is "higher" is misleading because over the past 7-days Florida has 40 times the amount of total deaths as MA. Since MA only has 2 total deaths per day over the past 7 days it's not really a good comparison.

You are the one that took Florida numbers and compared them to MA. Just read your original post. You mentioned (in your original post) that your case numbers were from a 7-day avg. - then you just gave death numbers from 7/16 and 8/4 and didn't say what the starting point is. Since you gave cases from the 7-day avg one might assume that your also talking about the 7-day avg. for deaths. No way to know for sure because you didn't specify.

To insinuate that recently FL is doing better than MA with deaths (recently) is just ludicrous - and the easy way out is just to claim my source is politically motivated which is just a BS excuse.

On your original post you also said feel free to to make other comparisons - so I pointed out that total deaths in FL are much higher than MA recently - and then you fly off the rails about it. I gave you my honest opinion about your original post.
I will not respond to personal attacks.

I am going to ask you to read more carefully. You do not see death totals because the Mayo Clinic does not provide death totals and neither did I. They provide Fatality Rates. A medical professional uses Fatality Rates as they place the number of deaths in context. My quote was:

"Florida Fatality rate among those who tested positive was 1.60% on 7/16 and has dropped to 1.48% on 8/4.
By way of comparison only, Boston (Suffolk) 116 daily cases, or 14 per 100,000.
The Mass Fatality rate was 2.71% on 7/16 and has dropped to 2.68% on 8/4."

Why fatality rates are higher in Massachusetts than Florida is not something I am able explain absent additional data and possibly research, even if I have a few thoughts. I do not speculate. One would most likely have to undertake a deeper study of underlying data to seek to derive an answer, and still may not be able to do so. I can tell you that the New York rates are similar to Massachusetts, which would give me a clue as to what to look for. I would want the demographics of the deceased population and a statistical analysis of their prior medical conditions and prior physical characteristics.

As to the down trending Fatality rates in Florida, they are not hard to find. Use this link, go to "More trends for Florida" and then click on "Fatality rate" which is to the right of "Average positive test rate."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...19/map/florida

They are down trending in Massachusetts and New York too.

This tends to suggest, subject to further analysis, that while disease rates are going up, the severity of the disease is less. It also suggest either differences in the population or that the treatment is more prompt and better (or both) in Florida.

I also want to commend KMerendino for making a very accurate and astute observation. Each individual is best advised to ignore everything written here and consult with their own physician to obtain advice based upon their own medical condition. As he stated "Dr. Fauci of the CDC doesn't know you neither do(es) .. Mr. DeSantis."

Public health officials give advice to the public. Your doctor gives advice to you. That can be very different. At the risk of drawing the ire of many, it would be contrary for good public policy to advise people to get sick, but one could make the case that for a person in good health without underlying conditions and fully vaccinated, getting the current Delta variant might be a blessing in disguise as the CD8+T and CD4+T cells that would then be produced would be more resistant than antibodies to the threats posed by emerging variants.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:58 PM

I didn't attack you I appreciate your contribution. I'm just trying to prevent a lot of misinformation from being posted here and to clarify things when posts are a bit murky in nature. And by the way speaking of politically motivated data - I don't trust much coming out from the FDOH. They try to "spin" the death total calculations to make FL look better.

Quote:
As to the down trending Fatality rates in Florida, they are not hard to find. Use this link, go to "More trends for Florida" and then click on "Fatality rate" which is to the right of "Average positive test rate."
OK I found it and I see where you got your death numbers. However from that Mayo Clinic web page it says:

More trends for Florida
See how the average positive test rate and cumulative fatality rate have changed over time. The percent positive is shown as a seven-day average.

It says specifically that the percent positivity is from a 7-day average - however it says the fatality rate is a cumulative total. This was exactly my point. The death rate in FL is much higher than MA recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area