Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 08:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I think I have the Omicron variant right now. It's so mild, no reason to go to any Doctor, or hospital.

But, if I don't go, how will they know about my case? I'll never get counted.

How is anyone w/ Omicron being counted? Are hoards of Americans rushing to the doctor, & into hospitals, because they have a runny nose?

I'm glad I have it because it might save me from the nastier Delta variant.
1–you dont go to your dr to be tested
Any CVS or Walgreens, and the county’s testing sites can do a test

2–people get tested so they know if they are contagious and might have exposed others

3– from some people’s experience testing initially MIGHT NOT give a positive/accurate response because you have to have certain threshold of virus before you trip the + response. One woman on Ne tDoor said she felt awful, two,others in her family tested +, but it took her 4 tests before she triggered a positive. OVid reaction on a fast test.
She didn’t say if she was going to test site or using home test….

4. And unless you TAKE a test and get a + response, you can’t say you have. CoVid of any variant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 09:50 AM

8,037 posts, read 4,631,899 times
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/...17749617709056

"must consider we’re probably diagnosing small fraction of actual omicron cases, maybe as low as 1 in 10. This epidemic wave is being driven more by those with mild symptoms who don’t suspect it’s Covid, not by people who get diagnosed and isolate for 5 days."

Old 12-29-2021, 11:44 AM

https://twitter.com/mvandemar/status...56125859377158

https://twitter.com/scottdavidherr/s...58613622681611

"New covid-19 numbers for Florida. 46,923 cases added, bringing the 7-day average to 29,479. That's a 14.9% increase from yesterday, 150% increase from 1 week ago.

That's 206,358 new cases in the past 7 days in FL, out of 1,940,692 nationwide."

"Daily Case Peaks (7-day avg)
- for Delta: 21,641 in Aug 2021
- for Omicron: 29,480 and rising"

Old 12-29-2021, 11:56 AM

https://twitter.com/thehowie/status/1476182210831134725

"BREAKING: Florida Hospitalizations (3836)

Up 22% from yesterday; ~87% from week before.
ICU beds (443) up 16% from yesterday.

This rate of growth is concerning. Could reach last winter's peak by the end of next week. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: tweet below is for FL hospital "admissions" which is different than the census of currently hospitalized. Click on the link to view the chart.

https://twitter.com/scottdavidherr/s...50895499288584

"12/29/2021: Florida's COVID-19 hospital admissions 7-day average is up 120% from a week ago

Admissions typically lag about 5 days after COVID-19 cases and are increasing rapidly due to Omicron (confirmed in Florida 12/7/2021)"

Old 12-29-2021, 12:12 PM

Some nuances Im noticing from the SMH data. Test positivity currently at 15.3% and still rising fast. As I had mentioned previously I expect test positivity to get at least as bad as the delta wave (~19%) - and hospitalizations lag test positivity by 1 to 2 weeks - so no sign of a top in hospitalizations yet.

The number of Covid ICU patients seems to be muted at current time. We'll see if it stays this way.

36% of patients are vaxed which seems high compared to delta wave. However no way to know what percentage were admitted for Covid OR what percent were admitted for something else and then subsequently tested positive for Covid. (By the way the percentage of vaxed covid patients at SMH is roughly in line with what we're seeing in Miami-Dade).

Today's Update From Sarasota Memorial Hospital

Sarasota Memorial Hospital-Sarasota & Sarasota Memorial Hospital-Venice
COVID-19 Patient Update
Includes hospitalized patients who are positive for COVID-19 and those cleared of infection but still hospitalized at SMH facilities.

Total COVID inpatients today: 61 (54 yesterday)
COVID patients in ICU: 9 (no change from yesterday)
% Unvaccinated Inpatients: 64% (updated weekly on Wednesdays)

COVID-19 Test Results:
SMH positivity rate: 15.3% (6.6% for week ending Dec. 24, 2021)

Cumulative COVID-19 Cases:
Total number of patients treated since outbreak began.
Patient admissions: 4,859 (4,842 yesterday)
Patient deaths: 536 (535 yesterday)

source:
https://www.smh.com/Home/News-Events...ly-news-update

Old 12-29-2021, 12:48 PM

Southwest Florida hospitals have no monoclonal treatments that work on omicron variant of COVID-19

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...-19/ar-AASfgcl

Southwest Florida's largest hospital operators have run out or are waiting on their first shipments of a type of monoclonal antibody treatment considered to be the most effective against the omicron variant of COVID-19 now quickly spreading throughout Florida.

Sotrovimab is in short supply nationally. Texas announced Monday it was out of the treatment until January.

Administrators at Lee County-based Lee Health, the largest hospital operator between Tampa and Miami, announced Wednesday that its limited supply had run out.

NCH Healthcare System, which operates the largest hospitals in Collier County, is waiting on its first shipment of sotrovimab, spokesman Shawn McConnell said Wednesday. "We have not been informed yet as to how many doses we will be receiving or when."

Sotrovimab is distributed by the federal government to the Florida Department of Health, which allocates doses throughout the state.

The Florida Department of Health, which has made the availability of monoclonal antibody treatments a centerpiece of its effort to combat COVID-19, did not respond to inquiries about the shortage.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services last announced a shipment of 55,000 doses nationally on Dec. 17, including 1,050 doses that were allocated for Florida.

"Please note that the federal government’s current supply of sotrovimab is extremely limited, and additional doses of the product will not be available until the week of January 3rd," the announcement added.

Other monoclonal antibodies have been effective against previous variants, but not omicron, according to Lee Health, which has been operating three monoclonal antibody infusion centers in outpatient settings to treat COVID-19 for more than a year.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:11 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshan View Post
Actually I think they are, as that is the guidance to know if you should quarantine /shrug. Not saying I agree or disagree, just answering. My wife is required to as she is a teacher for instance.
I'm self-employed and work from home...when I feel like it. My wife hasn't worked in 20 years. I'm so glad we don't have to deal with the outside working world much anymore. I feel bad for those that do, especially in these times.

I'll mostly stay home until these sniffles run their course, & if I do venture out, I'll wear my N-95 to protect those around me that might not be vaccinated, or who are in fragile health. I'm guessing by Saturday morning I'm clear of this. Who knows, it might not have anything to do with any covid variant. I'm not running out to get tested to see. I don't even know if they have a test for the Omicron variant.

I'll just proceed as if I do to protect those around me, & minimize being around anyone as much as possible.

I suppose I'll wind up giving whatever this is to my wife, but she's been jabbed 2x like me, so it's just a minor nuissance.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:20 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
1–you dont go to your dr to be tested
Any CVS or Walgreens, and the county’s testing sites can do a test

2–people get tested so they know if they are contagious and might have exposed others

3– from some people’s experience testing initially MIGHT NOT give a positive/accurate response because you have to have certain threshold of virus before you trip the + response. One woman on Ne tDoor said she felt awful, two,others in her family tested +, but it took her 4 tests before she triggered a positive. OVid reaction on a fast test.
She didn’t say if she was going to test site or using home test….

4. And unless you TAKE a test and get a + response, you can’t say you have. CoVid of any variant
I'm not doing any test for such minor symptoms. Everyone I've been anywhere near to in the past week has been jabbed 2 or 3 times, so no concerns there. I'm quarrantining now, but if I do go anywhere, I'll wear my N-95 and keep a safe distance.

I'll save the tests for those who need them a lot more than I do.

I'm self-employed, work from home whem I please, & my wife hasnt worked in 20+ yrs. Its easy for us to avoid human contact.

If I do have Omicron, I read that is a good thing, because it defends against Delta, which is much worse.

I'll update again in a few days. I'm on day #2 and I don't feel any worse than yesterday, so I'm not concerned at this point.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:03 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post

36% of patients are vaxed which seems high compared to delta wave.
No way to tell if they are fully vaxed or partially vaxed SMH lists percent unvaccinated. The other category pf vaxed includes partially vaxed, fully vaxed and fully vaxed + boosted all lumped together.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:13 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I think I have the Omicron variant right now. It's so mild, no reason to go to any Doctor, or hospital.
If you are curious whether you have Covid you can go to a nearby CVS or Walgreens which has a drive-thru to get a home Covid test. Call first to see if they have any available. I think they keep some in store although online many are sold out. 2 tests are in each test kit. One of these stores mentioned you can get the test kit via drive thru, which makes sense.

If you don't want to get a home test kit due to short supplies, they get a test which is sponsored by the county, and they have such a site in North Port. They don't have low supplies at the county sites. I think you would get a PCR at the county site and these are the better tests and there is no shortage of PCR tests.

FYI North Port has a county sponsored free test site at Dallas White Park that is open 9-4 M-F but closed 12-12:30 for lunch

Tests won't specify what variant you have.

Link to FL testing sites by county.

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/testing-sites/

About the North Port site below:

https://www.cityofnorthport.com/gove...agement/alerts

A testing site at Dallas White Park in North Port is open for walk-up appointments. Testing is offered 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. They close from 12-12:30 p.m. for lunch on weekdays. If you are in line at 4 p.m., they will still test you. A photo ID is required to be on hand. Testing is free. Rapid tests are available beginning at 9 a.m. to first responders, children under the age of 17, and grocery store workers with credentials.

âž¡ Dallas White Park, 5950 Sam Shapos Way, North Port.
Testing at this site is not to be used for travel requirement testing and should only be used for tracking community spread of the virus.

If you have questions or need test results, you can call the Lab Services contact line at 941-413-5974.

Last edited by Variable; 12-29-2021 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area