U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 08:24 PM

236 posts, read 194,288 times

Advertisements

Wow, this is an amazing read! I'm astonished. Just hearing you are all still running around like normal!!! Not up in the NE.

Since I won't be coming down this year on vacation I thought I'd check in to see what was happening. Up here in PA we are all confined to our houses. Except to work if we have to, or grocery shop. Or medical visits. All non-essential businesses are closed, all schools, all restaurants, bars, theaters, malls. It started last week in 2 counties, then they closed my county next door and one on the far side (of the 2 in question) as people were running over here. It only took a few days to just decide to close the whole state, and we only have 96 cases while you have 210. They also closed NJ, NY and CT. So we can't run "next door" to go to a bar or anything. Broadway is shut down. All schools are closed and people were told to telework from home.

Most of the high rise offices in Philadelphia must be teleworking because no one is riding the trains, buses, subways (they have gone to what they call 'Sunday" schedule. Very few trains needed. It's weird to watch Action News at 5pm and see no rush hour. Hardly any cars moving around when the cameras look down at Center City. It is very quiet now. All gyms are closed and all gatherings over 10 people are prohibited. Restaurants are only open to do take out and they have to deliver the food. It comes to your front door and they put it on the step and call you from a cell phone that it's out there. No one touches or hands it to anyone.

The grocery stores (and hardware and auto parts) are open shorter hours. The first hour is ONLY for seniors (60+). They are to be allowed in alone, and disabled people, so they can get supplies first. Amazon is still delivering and UPS and the mail, and there is trash service. I heard the Phila Parking Authority is not reading meters, but they will tow any cars parked right in front of stores too long (hogging spaces). You can go, just don't hang out there too long! The PA turnpike is not collecting toles (no workers). They will just take a photo of your plate and bill you. All rest stops are closed. They closed rest stop bathrooms and put out porta potties. Gas stations are open (everywhere, but also on turnpike). Not that anyone is going anywhere much. There is no point.

What really surprised me was that Gov Wolf closed a bunch of state parks I thought I was going to walk in! It's very different up here. Also, this is expected to last quite a long time. Although it will be "re-evaluated every 2 weeks".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 09:17 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,364,995 times
Just read that Manatee county has now closed all libraries and government buildings to the public for the next 15 days.

Lakewood Ranch is closing their Town Hall to the public as well until April 1st.

Sarasota county is closing all libraries until April 12th.

The City of Sarasota will close Arlington Park and Aquatic Complex, Bobby Jones Golf Club, Lido Beach Pool, Payne Park Skate Park and Tennis Center and the Robert L. Taylor Community Center, beginning Wednesday.

North Port closed the aquatic center and Warm Mineral Springs.

FL governor has announced all FL schools will remained closed until at least April 15th. I truly feel sorry for parents scrambling for daycare options for their children.

Tonight I had to go to 3 different grocery stores just to find basic essentials like hand soap, dish detergent, eggs, meat, bread, fresh fruit, etc. Forget toilet paper or paper towels, all stores shelves were bare on those aisles. Talk about frustrating......

Old 03-17-2020, 11:29 PM

9,598 posts, read 6,338,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted some input on our situation. My wife and I are teachers in Ohio and we are closed until (at least) April 3. We own a condo in SRQ and was thinking of bivouacking there instead of Ohio for the duration. At least there we could get some sunshine, not like the current gloomy Ohio weather. There seems to be currently less restrictions in Florida (I am not sure that is a positive, though). A concern I have is the ability to get back to Ohio, IF they start school again. Also, I am 62 and my wife is younger, but has a somewhat compromised immune system; so we are both technically in the high risk group. Thoughts? Anything we are not thinking of?
Is the percentage of seniors higher where you're living in Ohio than in SRQ? Given Florida's delays in implementing social distancing policies and likely a higher percentage of seniors, hospitals in Florida may be overwhelmed more rapidly than in your Ohio community.

You also are correct to worry that Florida and even the entire nation may be locked down within several weeks. If the entire nation is locked down, you wouldn't have to worry about being back in Ohio by April 3.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:13 AM

15,958 posts, read 33,699,192 times
Quote:
I didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted some input on our situation. My wife and I are teachers in Ohio and we are closed until (at least) April 3. We own a condo in SRQ and was thinking of bivouacking there instead of Ohio for the duration. At least there we could get some sunshine, not like the current gloomy Ohio weather. There seems to be currently less restrictions in Florida (I am not sure that is a positive, though). A concern I have is the ability to get back to Ohio, IF they start school again. Also, I am 62 and my wife is younger, but has a somewhat compromised immune system; so we are both technically in the high risk group. Thoughts? Anything we are not thinking of?
I think you would be wise to stay where you are right now. Everything on lockdown and supplies wiped ou.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:23 AM

913 posts, read 2,163,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Is the percentage of seniors higher where you're living in Ohio than in SRQ? Given Florida's delays in implementing social distancing policies and likely a higher percentage of seniors, hospitals in Florida may be overwhelmed more rapidly than in your Ohio community.

You also are correct to worry that Florida and even the entire nation may be locked down within several weeks. If the entire nation is locked down, you wouldn't have to worry about being back in Ohio by April 3.
I would assume the percentage is higher in FL. The availability of health resources was also a concern I had and with an older population I would assume those resources would be more limited in Florida than Ohio. And the most recent data I found was Florida has 211 cases/ 6 deaths and Ohio has 67 cases/ 0 deaths. While Florida has almost twice the population as Ohio, they have over three times the number of cases. While part of this could be explained by a higher median age (by a little over 2 years), Florida seams to have been a bit slow to implement safe guards.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:39 AM

185 posts, read 79,101 times
Quote:
I would assume the percentage is higher in FL. The availability of health resources was also a concern I had and with an older population I would assume those resources would be more limited in Florida than Ohio. And the most recent data I found was Florida has 211 cases/ 6 deaths and Ohio has 67 cases/ 0 deaths. While Florida has almost twice the population as Ohio, they have over three times the number of cases. While part of this could be explained by a higher median age (by a little over 2 years), Florida seams to have been a bit slow to implement safe guards.
Sounds like you have already done some research and are leaning towards staying. Right now that may be for the best. Not a great time for travel with all the uncertainty and fear abound.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:52 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,749,244 times
I haven't been to the beach recently - so how are the crowds at the beaches? From what I've been reading Florida beaches are still fairly crowded. I know governor DeSantis recently made a declaration for gatherings at the beaches to be limited to no more than groups of 10 people. But I don't see how they're really going to enforce that.

Millennial with coronavirus weighs in on spring break students heading to Florida beaches
https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

"On Tuesday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis called out students on spring break for not practicing social distancing. “The universities with the spring break … a lot of students have just been congregating at the universities and going out and doing things there, and that’s not something we want,” DeSantis said during a news conference.

-----------------------------------------------------

Coronavirus Florida: Beach visitors see shore as safe place

"A view of Siesta Beach, America’s top beach. The beach is full shortly after @GovRonDeSantis announced his new beach rules limiting gatherings on the beach to groups of 10."

Old 03-18-2020, 01:56 PM

236 posts, read 194,288 times
It looks like from the news I can find that Miami is putting in some restrictions. But not like the blanket closures we have up here in the NE. I wonder how it will be when all the snowbirds start north? Restaurants and rest stops closed would be interesting to say the least. Do most people leave the end of March? Or end of April?

Old 03-18-2020, 03:30 PM

Is It Safe To Go To The Grocery Store During The Coronavirus Outbreak?
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

"Experts share tips for how to shop and make sure your food is safe to eat during the COVID-19 pandemic."

Old 03-19-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I haven't been to the beach recently - so how are the crowds at the beaches? From what I've been reading Florida beaches are still fairly crowded. I know governor DeSantis recently made a declaration for gatherings at the beaches to be limited to no more than groups of 10 people. But I don't see how they're really going to enforce that.

Millennial with coronavirus weighs in on spring break students heading to Florida beaches

"On Tuesday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis called out students on spring break for not practicing social distancing. “The universities with the spring break … a lot of students have just been congregating at the universities and going out and doing things there, and that’s not something we want,” DeSantis said during a news conference.

-----------------------------------------------------

Coronavirus Florida: Beach visitors see shore as safe place

"A view of Siesta Beach, America’s top beach. The beach is full shortly after @GovRonDeSantis announced his new beach rules limiting gatherings on the beach to groups of 10."
The Florida governor is really getting ticked-off about all these "ambivalent" spring-breakers. Clearwater Beach is shutting down on Monday (after the negative publicity about the spring breakers). And the 10 person group limit at other beaches will be enforced by law enforcement:

Florida governor says ‘party’s over’ for spring breakers amid coronavirus crisis
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

"The Republican — who has taken heat for not closing the sun-splashed beaches after hordes of college kids swarmed them amid the coronavirus pandemic — said the state will enforce guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention about large crowds.

“The message I think for spring breakers is that the party’s over in Florida,” DeSantis said during an interview Thursday on “Fox & Friends.” “You’re not going to be able to congregate on any beach in the state. Many of the hot spots that people like to go to, whether it’s Miami beach, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater Beach, are closed entirely for the time being.”"

Last edited by wondermint2; 03-19-2020 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area