U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 09:13 PM

2,136 posts, read 508,425 times

Advertisements

Positive Coronavirus person in Manatee county. Another in Hillsborough county.

FL State of Emergency per FL Governor Sunday evening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 09:31 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,745,191 times
Here's a link to the story in the Herald Tribune:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.her...emplate=ampart

What's kind of strange is that apparently the case from Manatee County didn't involve the person travelling anywhere.

I've been noticing that the coronavirus concerns caused the stock market to take a big drop last week. I'm wondering if there isn't a handle on this virus before the upcoming presidential election if it will hurt Trump's chance for re-election.

Last edited by wondermint2; 03-01-2020 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-01-2020, 09:31 PM

20,975 posts, read 6,363,939 times
Sarasota - one at Doctors hospital.

Truth of the matter is that where there is one - there are many.

Sadly, at this point, there is nothing most can do except wait to get it....or not. Obviously our national and other systems have failed to stop it at the borders. Also, I don't think there are systems set up for testing of millions quickly, etc.

Not good.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post

What's kind of strange is that apparently the case from Manatee County didn't involve the person traveling anywhere.
Not strange at all...all it means is that many other people have it and the person bumped into someone who did.

This is tourist season in Florida. Every one of those planes landing and taking off contains people who come from elsewhere...then from other countries, etc.

The stock market or a reelection are the last things we need to worry about. As we speak the numbers are growing...the only ones we know are those tested. Many people have been refused testing (they don't have kits or the proper protocols).

I'm not sure of the exact math involved but being as zero safety protocols have been in effect in most of the USA....and the amount of visitors and travelers that come and go in Florida....I would expect we will have quite a number of cases soon enough.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:15 AM

11,628 posts, read 3,429,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.her...emplate=ampart

What's kind of strange is that apparently the case from Manatee County didn't involve the person travelling anywhere.

I've been noticing that the coronavirus concerns caused the stock market to take a big drop last week. I'm wondering if there isn't a handle on this virus before the upcoming presidential election if it will hurt Trump's chance for re-election.
This is a topic for the political forum, so I'll make 1 comment here, and then cease.

I think people are smart enough to realize that President Trump didn't cause Coronavirus, and he has every gov't scientist trying to devise a cure. Trump stopped incoming flights from multiple Country's over a month ago, so took swift action to minimize our exposure.

Additonally, those caught up in transit during this time, were all quarrantined until they could be cleared.

I think it helps Trumps re-election bid because most realize that we don't need an administration change in the middle of a pandemic outbreak. We need 100% focus upon Coronavirus, nothing else.

This is an issue for the political forum, so this is all I have to say about it here.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:38 AM

The idea that florida, ranked #49 in health care access, is going to be effective, transparent and thorough with the public......seems unlikely to me. Remember Red Tide? Studies showed it harmful up to 5KM inland....but the official news was that it was OK except right on the beach.

Here is an example from today - note that the person gives their real name, etc. -
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ER4fEY_X...jpg&name=large

"In hospial with all the symptoms of coronavirus, had direct contact with sick Chinese citizens recently. Florida health department refusing to have me tested."

The good news is she tested positive today for Flu. The bad news is she still hasn't been tested for CV.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:25 PM

2,252 posts, read 3,136,043 times
I find the hysteria over this virus is more alarming than the virus itself. It's not Ebola or the black death, people! We have, what, 100 cases reported in the US thus far? and 2 died from it. That's 2%. That means the vast majority of those who tested positive eventually recovered and were able to go back to their normal daily life.

I'm in no way diminishing the seriousness of this virus, but I wish the media would put things in perspective and leave out the sensationalism factor a little bit.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:51 PM

6,535 posts, read 2,674,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I find the hysteria over this virus is more alarming than the virus itself. It's not Ebola or the black death, people! We have, what, 100 cases reported in the US thus far? and 2 died from it. That's 2%. That means the vast majority of those who tested positive eventually recovered and were able to go back to their normal daily life.

I'm in no way diminishing the seriousness of this virus, but I wish the media would put things in perspective and leave out the sensationalism factor a little bit.
The reason its alarming is because those with compromised lung functionality who are at risk of mortality are at MUCH greater risk than an average flu / cold. Basically, if you have lung issues, chronic illness such as Bronchitis or Asthma, weakened immune system, smoker, or elderly... you face a much bigger threat than your average healthy joe blow 30 year old catching the flu.

Its basically like this, the average healthy person won't feel much different than a strong flu or cold, but a person who has compromised lung functions as is could be seeing a death sentence.

The Flu comparatively kills about 0.1% of all known cases. This Virus kills aproximately 2% of all known cases - thats almost twice as many people.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:03 PM

183 posts, read 78,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The Flu comparatively kills about 0.1% of all known cases. This Virus kills aproximately 2% of all known cases - thats almost twice as many people.
Not agreeing or disagreeing, just saying.... school is good.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:34 PM

30 posts, read 9,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

6 deaths.

It's true younger, healthier people probably have nothing to worry about -- older immune compromised are at risk.

What we healthy people have to think about is how we could be carriers for the disease.

It is cause for concern for older people.

Ebola is much more difficult to 'catch' and doesn't happen as often. Same with the Black plague.

This seems to be very 'catchy' and seems to be spreading around the world.

Cause for concern is not hysteria.

Where has there been hysteria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area