Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times

Advertisements

I live in SW Ocala. Today I went looking for TP, Paper Towels and needles for my insulin pens. I went to two Walmarts in Ocala, Aldi's, CVS, Sav a Lot, Publix, Big Lots. I did not find even 1 roll of TP and only a few small Paper Towels. I then drove the 13 miles to Dunellon. Walmart, Publix, Winn Dixie, Dollar Tree, Dollar General. Again completely empty shelves. Sad to say this has been like this no matter the time or day of the week. This has been like this continually since the first week of March. Its also very noticeable how many food shelves are bare on some aisles. What is even sadder. I also had trouble getting the needles but eventually got the right ones at CVS in Dunellon.

It is completely obvious there is more behind this type of shortage for this long than the Virus. If people want to believe that well that is their business. I believe there are other reasons for this and the virus is being used as the reason. Paper products were constantly going up in price for several months before this pandemic. Just the fact that is where the main shortage is paper products. Should set off an alarm. Now Im having trouble getting the proper insulin needles. I never had that trouble before and Ive been on insulin since 1978. I realize where I live there is a problem because it is prime retireee snowbird territory, but enough is enough. Everything is bought up and there is far to much dependence on just a few Walmarts. Still where does this end. I do not believe the usual shipments of these type supplies is even coming here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 05:35 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I just got back home from shopping at the Aldi in Nokomis and the Publix off Laurel Rd. in Nokomis. It was about 2:45 PM when I arrived at Aldi. Neither store was very crowded. No waiting in line at all to check out. Both stores have one way aisles and the plexi-guard shields up at the check out. All the employees were wearing masks. I'd say at Aldi about 50% of the customers were wearing masks - while at Publix it was more like 70% - 80%. They had toilet paper and paper towels at Aldi. The only thing that I noticed Aldi was a bit low on was frozen vegetables.

Normally I wouldn't shop at Publix - but there is a sign warning about the road construction going on about 6 miles down (on Hwy 41 heading North). It says that there's only one lane open and advises taking an alternate route (this construction is like right before the Walmart in Osprey). So for people coming from the South and heading North trying to get to the Walmart in Osprey - it seems like it's going to be a hassle until this construction is finished.
Thx for the report wondermint. Next time, take Laurel Rd East (towards I-75), turn left @ Honore. Go a few miles to the new traffic circle, turn left onto Bay. That takes you to 41. Turn left, and Wal Mart' on your left.

That is how I've going since that construction began. I've mostly been traveling South to shop in Venice.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:51 PM

8,129 posts, read 4,649,585 times
Looks like there could be some meat shortages by the end of the week. The article says frozen meat will be in better supply than fresh meat.

Groceries could see meat shortages by end of week:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gr...ek/ar-BB13hxGk

"This is not the time to pig out.

Beef, chicken and pork could be as scarce as toilet paper soon because so many meat processing plants have been temporarily shut down amid the coronavirus pandemic, industry experts are warning.

"We've just completed our third week of reduced slaughter and production," Dennis Smith, a commodity broker/livestock analyst with Archer Financial Services in Chicago, said. "My guess is that about one week out, perhaps around May 1, shortages will begin developing at retail meat counters."

Overall meat production is down 25 percent, Smith said, "which is a huge decline.""

Old 04-27-2020, 05:08 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
^ From today's WSJ: on average, 500,000+ pigs are slaughtered/butchered Every Day in the US...
With a few porky plants closed and probably more to be closed, the problem is what 'to do' with those half million pigs, every day.

They can't be turned out to pasture, they offer little value to 'renderers' when dead, and the pork biz is trying to come up with methods of mass problem solving. Add in that many of the pork 'farmers' are under contract to the processing plant companies, (the piglets get delivered/feed/then shipped to the plant, and repeat), and those factory pork 'farmers' will be like the dairy farmers, and the veggie farmers, and the...

NEway, not a PETA rant as we eat more than our share of porky stuff.
May need to stock up a bit more on ribs, chops, et al, before we pull up stakes and migrate back to our Mile High Mtn home.
GL, mD

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pork-in...s&page=1&pos=1

Old 04-27-2020, 05:34 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
I don't eat meat, but I sounded the alarms to this 19 days ago on City-Data in the political forum. I got very few responses, & most were joking at my post. I don't think they'll be joking next week. Here's a link to my prediction:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...stic-food.html

Humans need protein. I've already stocked up on Whey Protein Powder. As soon as the meat is gone, so will be every other source of protein in the grocery stores. Only weight lifters and health fanatics will think of protein powders. I'm giving you all a tip.

Hockey experts asked Wayne Gretzsky "you are not the fastest skater, you dont have the hardest shot, so why are you the leading goal scorer in the NHL" Wayne replied "I see the play developing, and I see where the puck is going to be, so I go to that spot, and wait"

I only played 1 game of pro hockey, but I can still see where puck is going. Buy protein powder now.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:28 AM

Trump orders meat and poultry processing plants to stay open during coronavirus:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/3038300001

WASHINGTON – Faced with worries of a meat shortage caused by the coronavirus, President Donald Trump on Tuesday ordered beef, pork and poultry processing plants to remain open despite safety concerns.

Citing his authority under the Defense Production Act, Trump declared in an executive order that "it is important that processors of beef, pork, and poultry ('meat and poultry') in the food supply chain continue operating and fulfilling orders to ensure a continued supply of protein for Americans."

Critics said the forced openings – some plants have closed because so many employees contracted the coronavirus – threaten the safety of workers who remain vulnerable to the disease.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:18 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
I also noted the sketchy meat counter a few weeks ago and the cause/effect of some early plant closings...

Back at the YouMustGoIntoThose Plants Ranch, huh?!

On a 'good day' the meat/poultry/fish plants are like a Hieronymous Bosch painting imo, having had a friend that managed one for several years.

'Forced'/required to go back in those plants, with little working space/distance in that environment sounds like no fun, even for those desperate enough to have to work in that situ.

NEway, my CEO just rolled in from the Sarasota Costco and bought a few our fave meats, (limited to '4 pkgs' of meat, regardless of 'type'), and a four pack of Lysol spray. Wipes were not available, though she did not traverse the whole store.

She also hit the Laurel Rd Publix, not crowded, but the chicken section had been emptied out this morning, said a worker, fwiw. Just an anomaly, I think.

She said the store and PL were not crowded at all. She had a mask in her purse, but wasn't asked to put it on.

The Econ erosion for many biz, esp 'small biz' is/will be devastating for many, I suspect.
GL, mD

#NoCootiesHere and shot a decent 82 this morning.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:51 AM

733 posts, read 760,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
...there is a sign warning about the road construction going on about 6 miles down (on Hwy 41 heading North). It says that there's only one lane open and advises taking an alternate route (this construction is like right before the Walmart in Osprey). So for people coming from the South and heading North trying to get to the Walmart in Osprey - it seems like it's going to be a hassle until this construction is finished.
When did that construction start? I think I was there about 2 weeks ago and don't recall any. I'm equidistant between the Osprey and Venice Walmart, so usually pick one based on my mood (aka if I can tolerate going 30mph on Jacaranda today). Guess I'll stick with Venice location, although I could do the Honore/Bay route suggested by Beach. Though making a left by Murphy Gas may be tricky with construction traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
... I went to two Walmarts in Ocala, Aldi's, CVS ...
It's just Aldi. Not Aldis, not Aldi's. I know I'm nitpicking; it's a pet peeve.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:57 PM

Costco Will Require All Shoppers To Wear Face Masks Starting Monday:
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

All Costco customers will be required to wear a face mask inside stores starting Monday, the company announced Wednesday, making it the first major U.S. retailer to mandate its customers wear face coverings.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
When did that construction start? I think I was there about 2 weeks ago and don't recall any. I'm equidistant between the Osprey and Venice Walmart, so usually pick one based on my mood (aka if I can tolerate going 30mph on Jacaranda today). Guess I'll stick with Venice location, although I could do the Honore/Bay route suggested by Beach. Though making a left by Murphy Gas may be tricky with construction traffic?
I first really took notice of the signs when I went shopping on March 23rd. I seem to recall seeing a sign weeks before that - but I didn't alter my route and made it to the Walmart without noticing anything different. So I'm thinking that at first the construction was less obtrusive (or not actually started yet) - and the signage was less. So over a month ago they've added more signs warning of a construction bottleneck. The signs now say only one lane is open and advise taking an alternate route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area