Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 05:03 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times

Advertisements

Has anyone taken advantage of the senior-only shopping times at any of the stores?

Is it more or less crowded?

I read Wal Mart does theirs right now, Tuesdays 7-8am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 06:04 AM

469 posts, read 466,525 times
My girlfriend went to Publix at the Jacaranda circle this morning. She said it was packed and she had a hard time finding a parking spot. When she entered the store she couldn't get a cart and she noticed that people were lined up at the checkout with full carts. She got there at 7:30 so I guess she should've gone earlier. No doubt that people were lined up outside the store at 7AM like it was Black Friday. I think they are going to have to start auctioning off toilet paper. Given that we have so many seniors in Venice I think Publix may need to rethink these hours.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:05 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thx for the reports all. I have not been out for a while now, so its nice to be kept abreast.

Is anyone wiping down you shopping carts? Not just the handles, but the entire interior?

I was wondering it I brought a spray bottle (old windex strayer) filled with 1/2 bleach, and sprayed it down outside if that would be a wise move??? Is 50% Bleach 50% water too strong?

If you are going to wipe down everything you purchase, anyway, there's probably no advantage in trying to disinfect a cart, even if you were permitted to do so. Besides, the things you place in the cart could already be contaminated and/or someone walking by you could cough or breathe out the virus, anyway. I think it is good to be careful but this stuff can make you nuts if you let it. Thinking about spraying down a shopping cart is probably closer to the nuts end of the spectrum...no offense intended.

I used alcohol spray, though.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:09 AM

469 posts, read 466,525 times
My girlfriend took wipes to the store but couldn't get a cart to wipe. Her shopping trip lasted all of just the time it took to survey the store. She did buy a gallon of milk though. I think she had to arm wrestle for it.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:37 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
I haven't encountered a lot of the craziness reported in the news. I've been shopping at Detwilers, usually on Sat afternoon since I work full time. The shop is always full of supplies (even toilet papers) with plenty of shopping carts.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:01 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I went to the Publix on Manatee in West Bradenton at 4 PM today. I had heard the senior hours were packed, with long lines outside. I can't stand in lines, nor did I want to deal with that madness. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the things I wanted were available. Well, not toilet paper, of course, but there were a few boxes of tissues, so I scarfed up a couple. For some reason, butter was in short supply, both there and at Fresh Market. Milk was plentiful. I was able to get a rotisserie chicken so I can make soup. I didn't look for bread. If you aren't desperate for toilet paper, go later in the day when the crowds are light and it's not crazy.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
My girlfriend went to Publix at the Jacaranda circle this morning. She said it was packed and she had a hard time finding a parking spot. When she entered the store she couldn't get a cart and she noticed that people were lined up at the checkout with full carts. She got there at 7:30 so I guess she should've gone earlier. No doubt that people were lined up outside the store at 7AM like it was Black Friday. I think they are going to have to start auctioning off toilet paper. Given that we have so many seniors in Venice I think Publix may need to rethink these hours.
Thx for this report! Most helpful. I wonder how long it will take for all of this to die down. I am so glad I stocked up 10 days ago so I dont have to deal with that for a while. I think we can make it to April 15th w/ our current provisions.

I'd be afraid to be around so many people. The lines alone, prior to opening, would scare me off.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:09 AM

Until the madness subsides, the grocery stores need to devise a system to even the flow of people to, & through the stores. "Serve by Name"

Monday Last name ending in:
A,B,C,D: 7-8am
E,F,G,H: 8-9am
I,J,K,L: 9-10am
M,N,O,P: 10-11am
Q,R,S,T: 11-12am
U,V,W,X,Y,Z: 12-1pm
A,B,C,D: 1-2pm
E,F,G,H,I:2-3pm
J,K,L,M: 3-4pm
N,O,P,Q: 4-5pm
R,S,T,U: 5-6pm
V,W,X,Y,Z:6-7pm
open shopping: 7-8pm

This would give everyone 3 potential time slots each day. Each day, your time slots would rotate back in time to the next slot, and the last slot goes to the 1st slot. This way, every 6th day, you'd be the 1st group in the door at 7am.

Post large signs/banners, showing letters now being served, high above all entrances, visible from your car that change each hour, show ID at entrance. Hand out a flyer showing this schedule for all days for the next 12 days (2 cycles).

Too confusing? Any other ideas? I think this would only need to continue until April 30th when the snow birds head back North.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 03-25-2020 at 01:19 AM..

Old 03-25-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I haven't encountered a lot of the craziness reported in the news. I've been shopping at Detwilers, usually on Sat afternoon since I work full time. The shop is always full of supplies (even toilet papers) with plenty of shopping carts.
I wont go there right now because their aisles are too cramped, so wont allow 6' of spacing. If the store was nearly empty though...

Old 03-25-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I went to the Publix on Manatee in West Bradenton at 4 PM today. I had heard the senior hours were packed, with long lines outside. I can't stand in lines, nor did I want to deal with that madness. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the things I wanted were available. Well, not toilet paper, of course, but there were a few boxes of tissues, so I scarfed up a couple. For some reason, butter was in short supply, both there and at Fresh Market. Milk was plentiful. I was able to get a rotisserie chicken so I can make soup. I didn't look for bread. If you aren't desperate for toilet paper, go later in the day when the crowds are light and it's not crazy.
We hve so many Seniors, maybe we should reverse it and have limited non-Senior times. Trying to cram the most population into a narrow time window sounds like its not working too well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area