Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 06:15 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
It also matters where you are traveling back to.

Cases per million
Florida - 834
Georgia - 1083
S. Carolina - 547
N. Carolina - 377
Tennessee - 681
Kentucky - 322
Indiana -1030
Ohio - 471
Pennsylvania - 1566
New York - 8340
Illinois - 1303
Michigan - 2150
Wisconsin - 519
Iowa - 447
It is much easier to look at it per thousand.

Florida .08
Georgia 1.0
S. Carolina .05
N. Carolina .04
Tennessee .07
Kentucky .03
Indiana 1.0
Ohio .05
Pennsylvania 1.5
New York .08
Illinois 1.3
Michigan 2.1
Wisconsin .05
Iowa .04
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 06:54 PM

282 posts, read 247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Florida .08
Georgia 1.0
S. Carolina .05
N. Carolina .04
Tennessee .07
Kentucky .03
Indiana 1.0
Ohio .05
Pennsylvania 1.5
New York .08
Illinois 1.3
Michigan 2.1
Wisconsin .05
Iowa .04

okay, that confused me, lol

I prefer the number of cases. Maybe that's just me

Old 04-11-2020, 05:31 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
From what I gather lot of Canadians left earlier than planned when they announced the closing of their border. We are snowbirds and I’ve been playing the “Do I stay or do I go” song in my mind for over the last week. Up till recently I preferred here because we could get more exercise outdoors and it was warmer, more neighbors to talk to at a distance outside than the rural area we live. Now I weigh the high numbers of C19 here vs my home state where it’s now warmer and spring. But it’s still a trip to travel there involving one overnight and once there I’ll want to self isolate for 14 days to be sure too, not to mention there’s a stay at home order there as well. Think we are giving it another week.
I totally forgot the Canadian border closing. I recreate with 2 Canadians, but now that there's no ecreating, I have not seen them in a month. I hope they got back home befor the bordr closed.

Its nice that you have the flexibility to alter your date. Some snowbirds rent for a fixed amount of time, so when their lease is up, they have to go, or find a short term place which is hard to do. I suppose hotels are open.

When you go, bring wipes in your car or gloves to avoi contact with gas pumps and doors at gas stations and fast food places.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Florida .08
Georgia 1.0
S. Carolina .05
N. Carolina .04
Tennessee .07
Kentucky .03
Indiana 1.0
Ohio .05
Pennsylvania 1.5
New York .08
Illinois 1.3
Michigan 2.1
Wisconsin .05
Iowa .04
I think this is deaths per 100,000. I prefer the per capita figures (as shown above) because it give me a better idea of how bad it really is.

New York City is the worse place on Earth, but the State of New York is near the midpoint.

Michigan's getting hammered. Their Governor made mistakes early on that impacted the results there.

If I were a snowbird, & I had the flexibility, I'd likely stay here in FLA for a bit longer. Making the trip alone has its risks. (gas stations along interstates particularly)

Old 04-11-2020, 08:40 AM

91 posts, read 76,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
From what I gather lot of Canadians left earlier than planned when they announced the closing of their border. We are snowbirds and I’ve been playing the “Do I stay or do I go” song in my mind for over the last week. Up till recently I preferred here because we could get more exercise outdoors and it was warmer, more neighbors to talk to at a distance outside than the rural area we live. Now I weigh the high numbers of C19 here vs my home state where it’s now warmer and spring. But it’s still a trip to travel there involving one overnight and once there I’ll want to self isolate for 14 days to be sure too, not to mention there’s a stay at home order there as well. Think we are giving it another week.
Originally I had the same thoughts as you - i.e. I preferred to stay in Florida because we could get more exercise outdoors and it was warmer here than at home in the north. But I began to have second thoughts when the recreational facilities on Longboat started shutting down. And I started to get more worried when I saw most people were totally ignoring social distancing recommendations of the health authorities (e.g. spring break crowds at the beach and in restaurants). Then I got a notice from my condo management that one person in my condo on Longboat had tested positive (which has since increased to 3 positives in my condo complex). A friend in a different condo on Longboat was also informed that someone in his condo had tested positive. I decided it was time to leave.

I found the following link provides an up to date breakdown of COVID cases, deaths, and tests. It shows both total numbers and per capita numbers (per 1M population). Florida is lagging in tests per capita, which would result in lower cases per capita (if you don't test, you don't know).
http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Old 04-11-2020, 09:04 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosouth01 View Post
Originally I had the same thoughts as you - i.e. I preferred to stay in Florida because we could get more exercise outdoors and it was warmer here than at home in the north. But I began to have second thoughts when the recreational facilities on Longboat started shutting down. And I started to get more worried when I saw most people were totally ignoring social distancing recommendations of the health authorities (e.g. spring break crowds at the beach and in restaurants). Then I got a notice from my condo management that one person in my condo on Longboat had tested positive (which has since increased to 3 positives in my condo complex). A friend in a different condo on Longboat was also informed that someone in his condo had tested positive. I decided it was time to leave.

I found the following link provides an up to date breakdown of COVID cases, deaths, and tests. It shows both total numbers and per capita numbers (per 1M population). Florida is lagging in tests per capita, which would result in lower cases per capita (if you don't test, you don't know).
You just violated a HIPPA law, the numbers are only for statistics ~ please do not think they're reflective of anything other than that & oh, please do not leave the virus at the rest stop on the way out of Florida

Old 04-11-2020, 09:05 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Thanks. I had not seen that link. Now one more to follow. I don’t blame you a bit for leaving. If I was in a condo and had that notice I’d be out of there quickly. We are thankfully in a single family home with space around us so for now feel pretty isolated. Neighbors down the street have nightly get together in the driveway sitting six feet apart. We joke if they’ve reached ten when we show up on our walk but other than to say hi, I don’t like sticking around too long even in that scenario. We are from a more rural area of Virginia so the numbers aren’t that high there yet. No way would I head to New York or Michigan at this time. I truly think our leaving may be dependent on how soon I run out of food in the house. Need to finish what’s here and really don’t want to do another shopping. I did discover how great Target curbside pickup is for non perishable items. Got a few things needed for the house plus unnecessary snacks!

Old 04-11-2020, 09:08 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I totally forgot the Canadian border closing. I recreate with 2 Canadians, but now that there's no ecreating, I have not seen them in a month. I hope they got back home befor the bordr closed..
Their border wasn’t closed for their residents but I do think Canada basically said their people should get back hime now. I also heard some of their health insurance was not going to cover them if they came down with covid19 outside of Canada. That would be the big incentive for them to head home.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:11 AM

91 posts, read 76,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
You just violated a HIPPA law ..
Can you explain what that means?

Old 04-11-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Can you explain what that means?
HIPPA are health privacy laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area