Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 AM

50 posts, read 205,053 times

Advertisements

Well, it was a long process getting to this point and a serious amount of thought and dialog went into our decision. But I am so excited to announce that we are finally moving to Bradenton this August!

It really came down to family. Regardless of the cost of housing differences, to be near family is priceless for us. I've lived in many different states in this country and I don't feel half the connection to any place in the US that I do to the Bradenton/Sarasota area of Florida.

My husband is currently looking for a job with Publix and will hopefully secure employment shortly. I work from home, so my job isn't based on location. Everything is coming together! So excited to be on our way!!!

Does anyone know how long the wait is to have utilities and Verizon turned on / hooked-up? I know we had to wait about a week to have someone out to our current house. Who is the major utility carrier for the Bradenton area? Anything else I should know about? I'm sure there is a lot I'm not even thinking about yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
Congratulations! We have been here for 2 years from Chicago..There are a lot of things to know: Electric is FPL (Florida power and Lights.. I think..) LOL. Your phone/internet cable can come through Brighthouse (I don't recommend it) or Verizon. We have brighthouse and the service is "iffy". I recommend DVR for your cable. Since your moving in August, depending on when you close- Id look into your hurricane insurance ASAP. August can be a very busy time : ). Id get your DL's and your plates ASAP, that can be a pain and it takes soo long. It's soo exciting to finally be a resident instead of having out of state plates! We are renting so we probably don't know a lot about half the things you will need to do. I hope this helps.. We are right in Bradenton also so if you need any thing let me know!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
FPL is the electric provider. You can sign up and request new service right on their website. http://www.fpl.com/

For water you will either have The City of Bradenton https://services.cityofbradenton.com...&ClearErrors=Y or Manatee County Manatee County Government -- serving the citizens of Manatee County Florida depending on where exactly you live.

If you want cable it will either be Verizon Verizon | Bundles who I have had and will never use again or Bright House Corporate: Home - Bright House Networks Corporate

You will have to get your drivers license changed and get Florida auto insurance before you can tag your vehicles. I did it all in one day. It was supposed to cost $225 for the license, registration, title and tag, but since I have had tags in FL before it saved me some $$$. If you have had tags here make sure to mention that.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Congratulations! We have been here for 2 years from Chicago..There are a lot of things to know: Electric is FPL (Florida power and Lights.. I think..) LOL. Your phone/internet cable can come through Brighthouse (I don't recommend it) or Verizon. We have brighthouse and the service is "iffy". I recommend DVR for your cable. Since your moving in August, depending on when you close- Id look into your hurricane insurance ASAP. August can be a very busy time : ). Id get your DL's and your plates ASAP, that can be a pain and it takes soo long. It's soo exciting to finally be a resident instead of having out of state plates! We are renting so we probably don't know a lot about half the things you will need to do. I hope this helps.. We are right in Bradenton also so if you need any thing let me know!
We are renting, too, so we can get a feel for the area before buying. Thanks for the info. We've heard bad things about Brighhouse, so maybe we'll go with Verizon. I like their bundle prices - much better than I'm paying now. Thanks again! I'm sure there is a ton I need to do and know before the big move!!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
FPL is the electric provider. You can sign up and request new service right on their website. Florida Power & Light Company (FPL): Electric Power Utility

For water you will either have The City of Bradenton https://services.cityofbradenton.com...&ClearErrors=Y or Manatee County Manatee County Government -- serving the citizens of Manatee County Florida depending on where exactly you live.

If you want cable it will either be Verizon Verizon | Bundles who I have had and will never use again or Bright House Corporate: Home - Bright House Networks Corporate

You will have to get your drivers license changed and get Florida auto insurance before you can tag your vehicles. I did it all in one day. It was supposed to cost $225 for the license, registration, title and tag, but since I have had tags in FL before it saved me some $$$. If you have had tags here make sure to mention that.
Thank you for the info and for the links! Why do you not recommend Verizon? I never used them - nor have I had cable in many years - so I'd love to get the scoop. And WOW! $225 for a license, reg, tag and title? Yikes!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:51 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Verizon has the worst customer service on the planet. I have had Bright House since Oct and I have not had any problems. You get a real person who speaks English every time you call, and Verizon has added some 2 year clause to its contract now, and there is a huge early termination fee. If you are renting for less than 2 years you want to be aware of that.

Here is the link for the tag office Office Information I called and made an appointment so I did not have to wait. They gave me a coupon for a free car wash for making the appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area