Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 03:01 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times

Advertisements

National coronavirus statistics indicate that over 10,000 of the deaths reported so far were residents of nursing homes:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/corona...ch-over-10000/

According to a recent article in the Sarasota Herald, over 100 of the cases reported in Manatee county (including 23 deaths) were from two facilities, a nursing home and a rehab center, owned by one company:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...-nursing-homes

This article includes statistics on Sarasota county:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...ng-home-deaths

The deaths tied to these homes for fragile seniors account for 42% of the people who have died from COVID-19 in Manatee and 36% in Sarasota County.

There are eight elder-care communities in Manatee County with coronavirus cases and 11 in Sarasota County.

Bay News 9 posted an article today with stats on the Bay area counties:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/he...covid-19-cases

One quarter of all reported coronavirus deaths in Florida have been nursing home residents. Which means 3/4 of all reported deaths were within the general population.

I read an interesting article yesterday on research just completed regarding the use of cloth face masks, and that study concluded that those masks are up to 90% INEFFECTIVE in blocking Covid19 particles because of (1) the actual mask materials, (2) people not wearing the masks properly.

Many experts are still saying the best defenses against the virus are (1) hand washing, (2) not touching your face with your hands and (3) social distancing.

While researchers are working frantically to come up with vaccines, some experts are saying these vaccines will never be 100% effective in stopping the coronavirus.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...maybe-not.html

Meanwhile, the restaurants, bars, specialty shops and other mom and pop businesses that create jobs and supply residents demands for services for our cities are at severe economic risk right now. Some projections suggest that as many as 75% of them may not survive the current crisis. The loss of our local businesses would be irreparable, and not just for the people whose livelihoods depend on them, but also for our cities and area communities as a whole.

There are no easy answers to any of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 03:25 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I read that most restaurants need to be between 30-50% capacity to pay their overhead.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:47 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
How will my life differ?

I've been to the beach 4 of the last 6 days. Prior to that 0 for 44.

I went into a restaurant today to order carryout. Prior to today, I would not go inside.

Those are the only 2 changes thus far. I'm taking this slow. I do feel better now knowing we have the Trump Drugs, AND Remdesivir; 2 potentially life-saving treatments. I also like to hear we have over 100 vaccine trials being tested now, and Trump's DARPA has a new gene-editing clinical trial underway that looks good.

https://www.darpa.mil/work-with-us/covid-19

Old 05-04-2020, 06:08 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I read that most restaurants need to be between 30-50% capacity to pay their overhead.
30% = out of business.

50% is probably out of business a few months later.

Look at the rent first, if the place is $6000 a month, they need $200 a day to pay the landlord. First $200 EVERY DAY just to keep the door open. Then food costs/labor/insurance/utilities/etc.

So if you own a pizzeria or ice cream shop break it down to your products. $10 pizzas? $5 ice cream cones? Great, you need 20 pizzas a day for rent, 40 ice cream cones every day just to cover it.

Got a bigger restaurant? Higher break even point........... Sell higher end food? Higher food costs and still a high breakeven point.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:11 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
30% = out of business.

50% is probably out of business a few months later.

Look at the rent first, if the place is $6000 a month, they need $200 a day to pay the landlord. First $200 EVERY DAY just to keep the door open. Then food costs/labor/insurance/utilities/etc.

So if you own a pizzeria or ice cream shop break it down to your products. $10 pizzas? $5 ice cream cones? Great, you need 20 pizzas a day for rent, 40 ice cream cones every day just to cover it.

Got a bigger restaurant? Higher break even point........... Sell higher end food? Higher food costs and still a high breakeven point.
Landlords and suppliers will work deals with their best clients. They cannot afford for 1/2 of their clients/tenants to go under due to a short term tragedy. Small volume clients, and clients who paid slow, will be most at risk.

I own a business, and if I were the food distributor, or landlord, I'd share in the financial burden to keep them alive. They could spread the money owed out over the next 3 yrs so it wouldnt hurt as muchfor example.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:09 AM

860 posts, read 321,685 times
My life will be exactly the same.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:10 PM

83 posts, read 94,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok, again I ask for a breakdown of the nursing home deaths. How many were already significantly "side lined" with another issue and suddenly they get marked as "dead due to corona?"

Look at the country as a whole with 61,000 flu deaths, over 48,000 people died by suicide in 2018 and now we are at 67,000 corona deaths. By how much will the suicide rate surge this year due to loss of wages/businesses? How many people will abuse alcohol, drugs due to the financial meltdown? Yet the news with run with the corona death headlines and overlook the regular flu/suicides completely despite the combination being substantially higher.

The corona shutdown will cost trillions in losses, for 67,000 deaths (so far) and the US could prevent way more deaths yet the headlines love to focus on nursing homes. Seems like a "look over here" while taking the focus off other things. Also consider we have lost more people in the last 5 years to gun violence than the corona killed so far. Diabetes has killed 270,000 people in 2017.........yet again Corona kills is the headline.
Wow-- and here I never even knew that "gun violence" and "diabetes" were infections diseases!

As for gun violence being responsible for the deaths of "more people in the last 5 years". Really?! Somehow this is relevant? Surprised you didn't throw in auto crashes and the opioid stats in there too-- even though of course there too: not infectious diseases.

I do see that you hedge your bet by adding parenthetically (so far) to your death count. Totally ignoring the fact that your "other deaths" were over a much longer period of time while the Covid death count (so far) of 67 thousand is over the span of a ONE MONTH PERIOD.

But yes, pretty amazing how countries all over the world along with virtually all the medical experts have gotten together and conspired to divert everyone's attention to make sure the pandemic hogs the headlines.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:01 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Bacteria and viruses don't sleep...
the next reinforcements are developing/potentially spreading around.

This art from today says "14 mutations", though some of the harder science sites I have read suggest ~30 mutations.
Stay safe...
GL, mD

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/the-...udy-finds.html

Old 05-05-2020, 01:08 PM

8,241 posts, read 4,666,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Bacteria and viruses don't sleep...
the next reinforcements are developing/potentially spreading around.

This art from today says "14 mutations", though some of the harder science sites I have read suggest ~30 mutations.
Stay safe...
GL, mD

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/the-...udy-finds.html
If this is confirmed to be true - I'd imagine this will make it more difficult to develop an effective vaccine? However while I read the mutation (mentioned in the CNBC article) could be more infectious - I read that another mutation (not sure if it's the same one) was "weaker" and the symptoms that it produced were less severe:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Last edited by wondermint2; 05-05-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area