Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 09:53 AM

46 posts, read 70,635 times

Advertisements

Recommendations for family friend, mix of ages community in the Sarasota area. Budget of 1M or under.

Tennis is very important, close access to tennis academies, and courts. Within 15 mins to the gulf is ideal.

Considering few areas on the West and east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 10:15 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
I dont know of anything meeting those criteria in Sarasota, but check out the IMG Academy NICK Bollettieri Tennis Academy area in Bradenton.

https://www.imgacademy.com/people/nick-bollettieri

Its 15 minutes to Coquina Beach in Bradenton.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I dont know of anything meeting those criteria in Sarasota, but check out the IMG Academy NICK Bollettieri Tennis Academy area in Bradenton.

https://www.imgacademy.com/people/nick-bollettieri

Its 15 minutes to Coquina Beach in Bradenton.

Thanks for sending, but not considering IMG. Overpriced.

How far is Lakewood ranch from the beaches? Maps are showing about 20 miles or so, so guessing that could take at least 30 mins or so to get there in busy season.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:28 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisdad20 View Post
Recommendations for family friend, mix of ages community in the Sarasota area. Budget of 1M or under.

Tennis is very important, close access to tennis academies, and courts. Within 15 mins to the gulf is ideal.

On the East Coast, look at Fort Lauderdale in particular, Victoria Park. Jimmy Everett Tennis Center is actually in Holiday Park which is in Victoria Park. Gorgeous neighborhood, five minutes to beach.

Also pretty much anywhere in Boca Raton.

Outside the CCs, I didn't find a big tennis community in Sarasota although I'm sure it exists.

https://www.fortlauderdale.gov/depar...-tennis-center

Old 05-08-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
On the East Coast, look at Fort Lauderdale in particular, Victoria Park. Jimmy Everett Tennis Center is actually in Holiday Park which is in Victoria Park. Gorgeous neighborhood, five minutes to beach.

Also pretty much anywhere in Boca Raton.

Outside the CCs, I didn't find a big tennis community in Sarasota although I'm sure it exists.

https://www.fortlauderdale.gov/depar...-tennis-center

Thanks. I lived in Boca two years ago and definitely one of the best places for tennis for sure. Considering moving back to Boca or Delray but wife wants to be in the West coast, slower pace. Less rude people. .
Exploring Naples as well. Just wanted to see what the Sarasota area had to offer.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:59 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Thanks. I lived in Boca two years ago and definitely one of the best places for tennis for sure. Considering moving back to Boca or Delray but wife wants to be in the West coast, slower pace. Less rude people. .
Exploring Naples as well. Just wanted to see what the Sarasota area had to offer.
I loved living in Sarasota! I worked in Naples last winter for quite a while and hated it. My husband and I went out one evening after we finished work about 10PM on a Saturday night IN SEASON and the only two places we could find open still serving food or drinks was Yardbird and Roccos Tacos. It's a very beautiful city and loved downtown Naples but they roll up the carpet at 9PM.

I love Delray.

I would seriously look at Victoria Park tho. It's one of the prettiest, old Florida neighborhoods. The tennis center there is great.

But between Naples and Sarasota, Sarasota by a mile.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:22 PM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
Quote:
Thanks for sending, but not considering IMG. Overpriced.

How far is Lakewood ranch from the beaches? Maps are showing about 20 miles or so, so guessing that could take at least 30 mins or so to get there in busy season.
45 minutes if no accidents. I lived in Lakewood Ranch State rd 70 1 mile East of I-75) before it was Lakewood Ranch, and back then (25 years ago) it took 45 minutes to drive to Coquina Beach weekend mornings, and it's a horrible drive with ~40 traffic lights, & congestion, especially around Downtown Bradenton. As soon as you gt up to 45 mph, you are hitting the brakes, over and over and over again. Grrr!

If you go early enough, before 8am, a lot of the lights are on yellow flash, but that's awfully early to cut 10 minutes off your drive.

I finally gave up on Bradenton beaches after ~5 frustrating trips, and found I could get to Siesta Key via Clark Road faster, and with less stress. Clark Rd has really built up too since those days, but I think it would still be a better drive.

I wouldn't move anywhere in Manatee or Sarasota County's with kids unless it was Lakewood Ranch. The rest of it is just too old.

My Son played High School Tennis #3 Singles at a 7A H.S., T2, ALTA, & had a nice USTA ranking. He's 21 and in college now. He still plays recreationally.

I don't see much Tennis being played anywhere in Sarasota County...not enough young people, and the 50+ crowd has moved on to Pickleball. The only place I'd suggest you look at is Lakewood Ranch down this way since Bolletieri's overpriced.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2020, 12:38 PM

361 posts, read 258,589 times
Have you looked at the Oaks in Osprey?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...Oaks_Osprey_FL

Quote:

Old 05-08-2020, 01:55 PM

Thanks all. Great feedback. We have lots of research to do before we head down this summer to start searching. Assuming all is open by then. .

Old 05-08-2020, 03:36 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times
The Oaks in Osprey offers a beautiful clubhouse, tennis courts, golf courses, etc but they do come at a price.

Equity & social memberships both require $40k up front, which is a non-refundable equity contribution.

Equity memberships require an additional $25,400 up front that is refundable upon termination of the membership. Other annual charges run around $13,100 per year.

Other annual charges for social memberships run around $9800 a year.

Of the several options in Lakewood Ranch that offer tennis courts, Lakewood Ranch Country Club would probably be the best option. It's on the south end of LWR. Membership in the LWR Golf & Country Club is separate from the HOA fees. The country club itself is a 44k square foot building, they offer 18 tennis courts, a 13k sq ft fitness center, 3 golf courses and more. They offer tiered membership rates, you have to select a gold or platinum level to get access to the tennis facilities.

Separate from the country club, Lakewood Ranch also has the Athletic Center, which offers 20 tennis courts and hosts a number of tennis tournaments during the year. The Athletic Center also requires separate membership fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area