Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 03:52 PM

26 posts, read 38,504 times

Advertisements

We moved from Illinois. Been up there my entire life and now moved in the South Tampa/Ellenton area.

So we bought a new spec house and have been living here for about 1.5 years. Some of the neighbors say we "NEED" pest control.

We never had any real pest issues up in Illinois but I know there are a lot more things crawling down here due to the year round "warm" weather.

Builder offered a "Termite" warranty for only 1 year. Bottom of the house wood timbers were treated with the Boric Acid stuff. Odd that the company the builder pushed only offered me a "warranty," not a treatment plan. It was a company called the "HOME TEAM." Wasn't crazy about the prices of the "warranty". Said it was free 1 year warranty on the new home, then I had to sign for a 3 or 5 year plan and keep renewing throughout the life of the home. Very strange that they can't do preventative measures like spraying for termites?

OK other than the occasional ants and ant hills in the driveway, we haven't had any critters inside with a big exception.

We always had "newly" built houses in Illinois and NEVER had a roach problem or seen a roach inside my house my entire life.

Well I've killed 2 little roaches scurrying about in the kitchen/family room area within the past 2 weeks. I HATE roaches!!! So my question is this normal to have some in the house? I have 2 dogs and I worry about spraying chemicals indoors etc. So do I need to hire a pest control company to come inside? I'm guessing I have way more roaches than the 2 that I've seen and killed?

Advice appreciated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 09:12 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Very normal for the roaches unfortunately. Were from Ohio and never seen even one though we knew they existed there to.. since living here we were seeing them very often! My husband sprays perimeter outside and inside I think every six months. So far no issues, haven’t seen a roach in a long time. Occasional small spider and ants but rarely those now to. One year we had quite an ant problem, sprayed a bit extra that year and they went away entirely. I would say you don’t NEED a pest control company, but bugs of all sorts are common inside homes here. You will definitely see them, which is why I would at least suggest doing it yourself at a minimum. Also, we have a dog to and make sure to only get spray that is safe for pets(we keep our dog out of the area we spray until fully dried).

Old 07-12-2020, 07:10 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Oh yes, you will need pest control. All new homes have what is called a "TAEXX" system. Basically there is a piped system throughout your home with a connection on the side of your house. The pest control company comes and pumps in a pesticide and it sprays in all your walls. You can look it up online and it will explain it better.

I found that I didn't have cockroaches nearly as much as I had white footed ants. Anytime there was something left out, I had an invasion of them in my brand new kitchen. I was not pleased!

Old 07-12-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
Oh yes, you will need pest control. All new homes have what is called a "TAEXX" system. Basically there is a piped system throughout your home with a connection on the side of your house. The pest control company comes and pumps in a pesticide and it sprays in all your walls. You can look it up online and it will explain it better.

I found that I didn't have cockroaches nearly as much as I had white footed ants. Anytime there was something left out, I had an invasion of them in my brand new kitchen. I was not pleased!
Yes I do have the TAEXX system. I found out that most of my neighbors that use Pest Control services don't evey use the system. I've heard that it's mostly ineffective and hard to ensure that the pesticide is either getting to all the spots that it needs and in the right amount.

The Home Team told me their termite warranty had nothing to do with the TAEXX system. They would be happy to inject the lines but they don't warranty against termites should you get an infestation. Only buying their stand alone termite warranty would cover an infestation. That should tell you the confidence they have in the TAEXX system...

Old 07-13-2020, 07:33 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Sounds like you already have your mind made up on this subject. You said you have animals and don't want someone to come in and spray. The TAEXX system checks that box. Just because your neighbors don't use it, doesn't mean it's right.

Every home builder has a 1 yr warranty on termites. You need to keep the bond to keep the warranty. It's pretty cheap insurance on a very expensive purchase IMO.

The TAEXX system isn't designed for termites.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
Sounds like you already have your mind made up on this subject. You said you have animals and don't want someone to come in and spray. The TAEXX system checks that box. Just because your neighbors don't use it, doesn't mean it's right.

Every home builder has a 1 yr warranty on termites. You need to keep the bond to keep the warranty. It's pretty cheap insurance on a very expensive purchase IMO.

The TAEXX system isn't designed for termites.
Regarding the TAEXX. If I already have pests (cockroaches) inside the house, then hiring a pest control company to inject using the TAEXX system won't kill the pests already inside? If it does then maybe that's the route to take?

Old 07-14-2020, 01:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
TAEXX wall system has nothing too do with termites. You need seperate treaments for both. I would never go without termite treatment. They can do a lot of damage. I have the tubes in my walls also, never have issues with bugs.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:05 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Actually, FL building codes include some requirements for termite prevention for new construction as termites are a fact of life here in Florida.

Even when a new home is built with termite-resistant materials and techniques, owners shouldn’t neglect other forms of ongoing prevention. Just as with a home of any age, you'll want to eliminating excess moisture by fixing leaky water pipes, removing dead or decaying wood sources such as dying limbs on bedding plants and trees, keeping firewood away from the home, and being cautious of any wood contact with the ground. Experts recommend keeping your bedding plants trimmed back at least 12 inches from the walls of your home to allow air to flow and prevent damp areas. Check your exterior walls on a routine basis for any cracks, as they should be sealed as soon as possible.

Think carefully about what type of mulch you place in the landscaping beds of your home. While many homeowners place mulch around the foundation of their homes to improve curb appeal, it can cause some unexpected problems if not done with the proper care. The main reason for placing mulch is its ability to hold in moisture, and termites like moisture. They also like wood and the most popular types of mulch in use are shredded wood mulches. Most pest control contractors I know recommend either using inorganic mulch materials or, if you use a wood mulch, at least keep it a few inches away from contact with your home's foundation.

It's also a good idea to become familiar with both drywood and subterranean termites -- how to tell a termite from an ant, what their wings look like, what termite frass (droppings) looks like, what subterranean termite mud tubes look like, how to spot evidence of termites in your home. There are a lot of great sites out there giving that kind of info.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:53 PM

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Last question. I'm wondering what the most popular treatment is for "termite" prevention? Do they spray inside or outside for termites like they do for roaches, ants and spiders?

Old 07-14-2020, 09:04 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nickles View Post
We moved from Illinois. Been up there my entire life and now moved in the South Tampa/Ellenton area.

So we bought a new spec house and have been living here for about 1.5 years. Some of the neighbors say we "NEED" pest control.

We never had any real pest issues up in Illinois but I know there are a lot more things crawling down here due to the year round "warm" weather.

Builder offered a "Termite" warranty for only 1 year. Bottom of the house wood timbers were treated with the Boric Acid stuff. Odd that the company the builder pushed only offered me a "warranty," not a treatment plan. It was a company called the "HOME TEAM." Wasn't crazy about the prices of the "warranty". Said it was free 1 year warranty on the new home, then I had to sign for a 3 or 5 year plan and keep renewing throughout the life of the home. Very strange that they can't do preventative measures like spraying for termites?

OK other than the occasional ants and ant hills in the driveway, we haven't had any critters inside with a big exception.

We always had "newly" built houses in Illinois and NEVER had a roach problem or seen a roach inside my house my entire life.

Well I've killed 2 little roaches scurrying about in the kitchen/family room area within the past 2 weeks. I HATE roaches!!! So my question is this normal to have some in the house? I have 2 dogs and I worry about spraying chemicals indoors etc. So do I need to hire a pest control company to come inside? I'm guessing I have way more roaches than the 2 that I've seen and killed?

Advice appreciated..
OMG. I would DIE if I saw a roach in here! I remember years ago we lived in a high-rise apartment building in PA that got infested. Before I walked into the kitchen or bathroom at night, I'd turn the light on and scan the room. They skeeved me out!!!

So I've been here in my (late) mother's condo for seven years. I don't want to jinx anything but I haven't seen any here. Supposedly the pest control company regularly sprays the perimeter of the buildings. I've only had the exterminators inside once, that was last year when I had an infestation of "ghost ants", I think they were called. They were tiny little things that were attracted to sweet, such as if I left a soda can on the counter.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd get pest control!!!

Last edited by Avalon08; 07-14-2020 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: added something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area