Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 06:35 PM

282 posts, read 247,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
You odds of dying from C-19 in NY are 3x higher than dying from C-19 in Florida.

You are risking your life by staying in NY, over a 2-week quarrantine...unwise, but it's your life.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Thanks for your concern. (I think..?)
My point was that we would need to quarantine (by law) for 14 days, therefore we would NOT be able to see or hold our new grandchild if we were to leave the state and return. We don't want to miss out on the new addition to the family. That being said, we will stay put until after his arrival. We keep our "circle" very small. We wear our mask if we venture out. Socially distance, even at work. No one in or out of office without a mask, and it's primarily just three family members we know are Covid free (testing). You get used to it. I think we would risk more exposure by traveling, by either air, or driving since we would have to stop over at least one night and use various rest stops and rest rooms. Better at this point to stay put and be safe. We are at 1% here in the NYC area. So we are feeling good about our decision for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 07:52 PM

91 posts, read 76,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan
Canada eliminated out of the country health care. Canada enacted the Quarantine Act.

Quote:
Too bad, we'll miss them. Too bad their gov't has so much control over their movements through the healthcare system. Lesson learned.
beach43ofus, you are spouting a bunch of BS. The measures that Canada enacted under the Quarantine Act imposed restrictions on travelers ENTERING Canada. It does not restrict Canadians who want to travel to the USA or to any other country. Although I can understand why Canadians might not want to travel to Florida this year, since the Covid death rate in the USA is more than DOUBLE the death rate in Canada. As per https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105, the Covid death rate in the USA is 55.7 per 100,000 people, while in Canada it is 24.7 per 100,000.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:35 AM

747 posts, read 847,141 times
Quote:
Update on my earlier comments from below...

I am seeing car tags from lots of states I have not seen before. People are coming here from further away than normal. Colorado, & Washington keep popping up. I thought those people went to Arizona.

I have not seen 1 Canadian tag. I know its early for snow birds, but still, I dont think we'll be getting many Canadians this year.

Our season is going to be 'Uge! Get ready...in only another ~10 weeks, you'll notice the added traffic & people. I've been seeing California, NY, NJ, CT, MA, IL, MI, MN plates all over the place this Summer.

These are the states most people are fleeing from to come down here.
Keep in mind, many of those are rental cars. Enterprise and Hertz have an over abundance of inventory in this area currently. They have been trying to sell them off also as travel had virtually halted. There is a way to tell for sure. If you see an out of state plate down at the bottom of the windshield by the VIN location would be a small white sticker. They usually put them on the drivers side door as well

Old 08-31-2020, 01:34 PM

25,703 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosouth01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan
Canada eliminated out of the country health care. Canada enacted the Quarantine Act.

beach43ofus, you are spouting a bunch of BS. The measures that Canada enacted under the Quarantine Act imposed restrictions on travelers ENTERING Canada. It does not restrict Canadians who want to travel to the USA or to any other country. Although I can understand why Canadians might not want to travel to Florida this year, since the Covid death rate in the USA is more than DOUBLE the death rate in Canada. As per https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105, the Covid death rate in the USA is 55.7 per 100,000 people, while in Canada it is 24.7 per 100,000.
I inferred from what I read that their healthcare plan will NOT cover them if they travel to te USA and get sick. Is that full of BS? If so, I inertpreted a couple of articles incorrectly.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:37 PM

25,703 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygphotos View Post
Keep in mind, many of those are rental cars. Enterprise and Hertz have an over abundance of inventory in this area currently. They have been trying to sell them off also as travel had virtually halted. There is a way to tell for sure. If you see an out of state plate down at the bottom of the windshield by the VIN location would be a small white sticker. They usually put them on the drivers side door as well
These are older cars, and I can tell by license plate frames, stickers, ect.. not rentals. Whenever I see newer vehicles devoid of any personalization of any kind, I assume its a rental.

I realize the rental fleets license theri vehicles in all the states.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:16 PM

747 posts, read 847,141 times
Quote:
These are older cars, and I can tell by license plate frames, stickers, ect.. not rentals. Whenever I see newer vehicles devoid of any personalization of any kind, I assume its a rental.

I realize the rental fleets license theri vehicles in all the states.
OK, I should have asked instead of telling. Not everyone realizes they don't put big huge Enterprise or HERTZ bumper stickers on them anymore since that made them targets in the past

Old 08-31-2020, 10:37 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,198,847 times
Has anyone noticed that Ct. and NY rates are extremely low? Have been for months.
Why would anyone want to come to Florida with the rates so high and a Governor who is hiding the #'s?

Old 09-01-2020, 09:06 AM

285 posts, read 228,881 times
Personally I'm glad to see less NYers and other folks from the NE - Florida will make it fine without them this year.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:41 AM

89 posts, read 123,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Has anyone noticed that Ct. and NY rates are extremely low? Have been for months.
Why would anyone want to come to Florida with the rates so high and a Governor who is hiding the #'s?
In a word...Snow/Ice

Old 09-01-2020, 08:34 PM

23 posts, read 15,459 times
Quote:
I inferred from what I read that their healthcare plan will NOT cover them if they travel to te USA and get sick. Is that full of BS? If so, I inertpreted a couple of articles incorrectly.
Our insurance in the U.S. is the same. No coverage in a foreign country. When the family and I traveled to Mexico, we had to get private travelers insurance, I think we used AMEX. Same with going to Europe and Caymans. We are not on Medicare (yet) so I don't know if that would be different but I doubt it. Why would Canada pay for health care in the U.S.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area