U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 15,339 times

Advertisements

I am so glad to find this site! Wow,so much information! Thank you all for your input, this is great to help each other out!!!

I am deciding on the area of Florida to move to. My family is: me and my two teenage kids. I am in mid 30s.

Looked at Lackwood Ranch in Bradenton - loved the community. I do realize that 'looking' and 'living' might be different but the community seems to fit my needs. Schools seem to be rated good. My son has learning disability so the public education is extra important.

Did not visit Palm Beach county but my gfriend who was raised in Sarasota loves it and compares it to Sarasota. She is not sure about schools and I didnt get a good understanding of the schools there. Seems the Jupiter has a satisfactory schools.

Job wise, I am in Information Technology and although there seems to be more work in Tampa (always been), there is work in Palm Beach / Boca area.
Would love to have a community similar to Lakewood Ranch but did not see anything like that yet in Palm Beach area.

ANY ADVISE, INPUT?!!! I find i difficult to make that decision
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:50 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,902,445 times
Dont know anything about Palm beach, but I live in Bradenton. Lakewood Ranch in nice, but some people think it can be very snooty. It is also a CDD community so look into that before you buy. The schools in the area are very nice and many are A schools, Lakewood HS can be a bit mixed but its the only one in the area and thats mainly why. It's a very nice beach town, but STAY EAST of I75-- either that or go WAY NW. Otherwise it's not safe. Overall if those are your options, East Bradenton (lakewood ranch) is very nice.. You may also want to try University park in Sarasota or Parrish, they aren't too far from lakewood Ranch area..

Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,902,445 times
The EAST Bradenton part you are speaking of is nice. Id think twice about public school for your son though, Im an ESE adminsitrator for a private school and we see alot of parents coming from public complaining about the schools and thier lack of compliance with the IEP. Lakewood Ranch has the reputation for being a bit snooty, but I don't live there. I know that the general area is nice and they do offer public and private schools in that area that are very very nice. It's not too far from teh beach either and thats always a plus.. Since you son has a disability he is eligible for the McKay Scholarship via a private school. Id look into that also..

Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 AM

Default Thank you!

Thank you! I dont like snooty though . I have enough of it in the area I live in. My son is in a private school here but it is covered by the district since they could not offer him an appropriate program. My work would be in Tampa so I cant go further into Sarasota since it will be too long of a commute.

The main thing that I like Lakewood ranch is that my kids have more freedom of moving around. There were many kids riding their bikes around the streets.

The realtor told me that Lakewood itself has 0 crime and I dont have to worry if my daughter , 13 year old, goes to ride her bike in the community ( I dont even allow her to leave my street now)

Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,058,111 times
I lived in LWR (Greenbrook Village) and did not find this area to be snooty. It's a great area and extremely well maintained community.
Maybe living in the Country Club, then that might be possible.
Best of luck in your search.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:02 AM

4,845 posts, read 13,236,795 times
If you're talking about "the Palm Beach" on FL's east coast....you can't even compare that to Lakewood Ranch, PB is old school money...Lakewood Ranch is a development built on a sand filled swamp....go figure? I'm sure the developers are laughing their A**s off....they won the pot of gold at the end of the Finnegan's rainbow.....now I know where that leprechaun came from yesterday.....he, too has lost his job, since the riches exchanged hands...

Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 PM

You gave a nice laugh Lady!! Yes, I am talking about 2 different parts of Florida but these are my two choices. There is more jobs for me in Tampa area though - the main reason I am still thinking. Otherwise I think I would choose Palm Beach county without thinking twice,maybe once ... I did like Sarasota area and Lackewood Ranch seemed awesome. I guess I will see where I get the job first.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:18 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,823,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley19053 View Post
You gave a nice laugh Lady!! Yes, I am talking about 2 different parts of Florida but these are my two choices. There is more jobs for me in Tampa area though - the main reason I am still thinking. Otherwise I think I would choose Palm Beach county without thinking twice,maybe once ... I did like Sarasota area and Lackewood Ranch seemed awesome. I guess I will see where I get the job first.
Is Jupiter what you have in mind for Palm Beach County? If so then it's recommended. Just let me know about any specific area in the county and I can let you know if it's worthwhile or not.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:25 PM

4,845 posts, read 13,236,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley19053 View Post
You're welcome

Definitely more jobs in Tampa and the I-75 commute would kill you, especially now with the gas prices as well. There are a number of nice places in Tampa to live, but I'm not that familiar with the area...Jupiter is beautiful...we looked there back in the early '90s as my x had gotten an offer to work at the hospital, but we ended up in Bradenton instead (yuk).

Old 06-14-2008, 12:30 PM

66 posts, read 304,685 times
Wellington Palm Beach County has very good schools and a great quality of life. Good luck with your search......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area