Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 08:00 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

A close friend is considering a high rise in downtown Sarasota. It doesn't have a balcony, just an amazing view.

Do you use your balcony? Would you buy a unit w/o a balcony? He's worried about his ability to re-sell on the back end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 12:01 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
I'd be interested in knowing the answer too. With all the times I've passed by the high rises in Sarasota I've never seen anyone out on the balconies.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Downgown SRQ waterfront faces towards the setting Sun, so in the Summer, it would be very hot on a balcony afternoons. Morning coffee perhaps, maybe lunch, but after 1pm it would be a scorcher.

I guess we dont have any high rise dwellers here to respond.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Downgown SRQ waterfront faces towards the setting Sun, so in the Summer, it would be very hot on a balcony afternoons. Morning coffee perhaps, maybe lunch, but after 1pm it would be a scorcher.

I guess we dont have any high rise dwellers here to respond.
This is an odd answer from such a veteran. As someone that has a lanai that faces the morning sun, it is great. If you have afternoon sun, it will be great 6 months a year! Sarasota is a seasonal place of course. I would LOVE an outside balcony of course. You have an option to enjoy the weather/air when the temp is right. It isn't 90 degrees all the time as most should certainly know. Sometimes it is downright cold and you would need to bundle up. It is always nice to be outside. without a balcony it would kind of suck, IMHO.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This is an odd answer from such a veteran. As someone that has a lanai that faces the morning sun, it is great. If you have afternoon sun, it will be great 6 months a year! Sarasota is a seasonal place of course. I would LOVE an outside balcony of course. You have an option to enjoy the weather/air when the temp is right. It isn't 90 degrees all the time as most should certainly know. Sometimes it is downright cold and you would need to bundle up. It is always nice to be outside. without a balcony it would kind of suck, IMHO.
I'm not a veteran of high-rise condo's. I've never owned one. A 3rd floor apartment is as high as I've had in FLA (Downtown Tampa).

I do know which direction most of the downtown condo's face, and I see how Western exposure creates discomfort & challenges for neighbors'/friends' single family ranch homes here. They tint their windows, buy shutters, blinds, & large awnings to block out the powerful afternoon Summer Sun.

I'm a year rounder (almost), as would be my friend considering the high rise, so he would be here in the Summer heat. Some % of the time, the balcony would be too hot, but certainly not all the time.

As another poster said, I hardly ever see people on their balcony's in those downtown condo's. Maybe after dark they are being used, & I can't see them. I've never even known anyone who owned one.

My S.I.L. lives amongst the top 1%, many who have yachts that they hardly ever use.

My neighbors on both sides of me have pools, they almost never use.

I wonder if balcony's have similar use patterns as many pools & yachts? Once the newness wears off...

Anyways, thx for sharing your opinion. I agree that having the ability to get outside, when the weather allows, would be nice.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:30 PM

282 posts, read 248,099 times
Don't have any experience with a high rise. That being said, I wouldn't purchase one without a balcony or some sort of outdoor (roof top, maybe) space.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:31 AM

747 posts, read 847,767 times
I dont have any experience but heres my mindset....If a hotel somewhere offers a balcony, I would likely get it "just in case" as long as the cost factor wasnt ridiculous.

If I had a condo etc and the other side of the building had one and I did not, there would def be some envy or regret for not having one knowing if I did want to use it, I could not.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:29 AM

78 posts, read 75,449 times
It looks like zero posters here don't own anything with a balcony, so it's all pure conjecture and opinion, which is funny. I own one with a balcony but I don't live in it, it's always leased. I think you'd be making a huge mistake to buy one without a balcony simply from an aesthetic/re-sale point of view. This is just my own opinion. It helps in appeal and marketing/sale, whether it's actually used by the occupants or not. In my building, few residents hang out on their balconies, they are too busy doing other things.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
Don't have any experience with a high rise. That being said, I wouldn't purchase one without a balcony or some sort of outdoor (roof top, maybe) space.
Thx!

Old 12-04-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysa Butzke View Post
It looks like zero posters here don't own anything with a balcony, so it's all pure conjecture and opinion, which is funny. I own one with a balcony but I don't live in it, it's always leased. I think you'd be making a huge mistake to buy one without a balcony simply from an aesthetic/re-sale point of view. This is just my own opinion. It helps in appeal and marketing/sale, whether it's actually used by the occupants or not. In my building, few residents hang out on their balconies, they are too busy doing other things.
Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area