Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 11:40 AM

48 posts, read 39,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysa Butzke View Post
I'm not "selling" anything, including a house!

I have seen and investigated many many totally renovated houses in and around many very very nice subdivisions with "older houses"....and they ALL were done RIGHT.

For example, I'll give you a few subdivisions where I have seen EXCELLENT updates and total renovations : Peridia, Tara (lots of older houses there built over a decade ago), Braden Oaks, Braden Woods, Braden River, Lions Gate, Mandalay, Barrington Ridge, Palm Aire, The Meadows, and many around the area of Briarwood/33rd st, north on 30th past 38ave (at least 4 subdivisions)....all subdivisions are older by today's standards but the houses that I've personally seen were not done in a slipshod quick flip way.

So I'm calling bs a bit on naysaying older properties- yes some are garbage well before renovations, but Stevie Wonder could spot those...and inspections should ALWAYS be performed.

It's called looking for value and suitability, a buyer can get ripped off anyday, by such builders as Horton, NEAL and a host of others. I love people who pay a lot premium to Neal, then also get screwed going to the Design Center lol good stuff!
Thanks...will peruse those areas online. Probably won't make a trip down there until later next year and until the virus is pretty much under control and we have our vaccinations.

Also, are there any homes in areas around there that have gas (natural or propane) for cooking? I'm a professional chef and would like a home that offers this...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 04:01 PM

4,582 posts, read 7,463,665 times
Of the group of neighborhoods given today, only one has access to natural gas -- Tara. With Tara you need to ask up front regarding mandatory country club membership requirements as most (but not all) of the neighborhoods within Tara require either Class A (expensive) or Social membership in the Tara country club. You may find a house now and then priced in the low $300's or slightly less, but those usually are smaller 2 bedroom homes or ones in need of updating.

Of the other neighborhoods suggested, many have prices starting at or above $350k, some like Barrington Ridge are hitting at the 15 years of age mark so roofs will become an insurance issue. The Meadows is a lovely golf & country club community with nice sized yards, but the homes are mainly 1970's - 80's and even with renovations the style of home will not appeal to some buyers.

For natural gas in our area, most options are going to be located within Lakewood Ranch, Palmer Ranch and parts of Nokomis / Venice if you're looking for newer construction homes.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:01 AM

15,202 posts, read 10,213,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguru View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to this area (also considering Tampa - have close friends there too) in a couple of years and we are both retired. We have several friends in the area and have been there a couple of times in the past. We have not looked at homes so don't really know what to expect. A quick search shows a plethora of 55+ communities and it's overwhelming. Anyway, we prefer new construction (or better yet pick out a plan that meets our needs and have the home built). We are looking for at least 3 bedrooms with 2 baths and a 1/2 bath. Our price range is upper $200 to lower 300's. For those that live in the area and are generally familiar with what's available is this just a pipe dream or are there places in the general area that would meet our requirements?
I just have one question for you? Have you spent an entire summer down here? Are you okay with hot and extremely humid weather for 6 months? Will you mind having the a/c on Thanksgiving Day and while you are putting up Christmas/Holiday decorations?

Many people move down here and after a year or two they miss the seasons or they can't deal with the long, hot summers and threat of hurricanes. My SIL and her husband sold their house up north to move here and after a year they moved back up north.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:46 AM

78 posts, read 74,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I just have one question for you? Have you spent an entire summer down here? Are you okay with hot and extremely humid weather for 6 months? Will you mind having the a/c on Thanksgiving Day and while you are putting up Christmas/Holiday decorations?

Many people move down here and after a year or two they miss the seasons or they can't deal with the long, hot summers and threat of hurricanes. My SIL and her husband sold their house up north to move here and after a year they moved back up north.

Yes, I too know many people from the true NE that moved to this area, and ended moving again to places like the Carolinas and east TN. the "half-backers" lol.

Frankly many folks shouldn't move here in the first place, but it was some kind of lure or dream for them only to find it's a nightmare in real time - for reasons such as climate, medical, crowding etc.

The place can't handle the surge, and that's for sure.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

Yep..been there many times for extended periods, all seasons and just love everything about that area. We should have moved there years ago...

Old 12-19-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngd26 View Post
you should move
Thank you...will do...

Old 12-20-2020, 09:52 AM

1,107 posts, read 547,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysa Butzke View Post
Yes, I too know many people from the true NE that moved to this area, and ended moving again to places like the Carolinas and east TN. the "half-backers" lol.

Frankly many folks shouldn't move here in the first place, but it was some kind of lure or dream for them only to find it's a nightmare in real time - for reasons such as climate, medical, crowding etc.

The place can't handle the surge, and that's for sure.
Oh, CVPFord, you keep trying to paint Florida living as a nightmare, and yet you don't want to leave. You just want to keep other people out! The truth is not that Florida can't handle the surge. It's that *you* can't!

Old 12-20-2020, 10:00 AM

2,513 posts, read 1,835,342 times
Possible, but newly built houses for those prices would be on the smaller side.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:54 AM

78 posts, read 74,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Possible, but newly built houses for those prices would be on the smaller side.

No question about that, and that's one reason why new house prices are pricing out a large part of Florida's population. This trajectory of price movement can not be sustained on a continuum. Moreover the installation of infrastructure to support this out of control building is becoming super expensive and is currently negatively affecting water management issues including drainage all over such as Bowles, Phillipi, and even Gap.

One obvious expensive disaster is 44th crosstown, esp around Morgan.

Have you seen the new plethora of high power line configuration? cell towers? traffic systems? Overhead light pollution? Commercial crowding (ex: Cox Dealership to be built way out on 64 and Lorraine? people are irate already). EMS had to buy 2, 500k vehicles to be newly stationed in LWR. Sheriff's build of a new substation in and around LWR as well.

Earlier this year alone, you could find a decent new construction house in a great area for under 300k easily. The invasion of population has created a problem.All price appreciation is not a good thing. Iflation ripples through the community in many many other ways - just look at what happened to LA county, Harris county TX, Davidson County TN, Dekalb, Gwinnett Cobb counties GA. Talk to native residents of Nashville and Austin TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area