U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2021, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Venice, FL
11,661 posts, read 3,451,482 times
Reputation: 7384

Advertisements

We looked at Bellacina too, but they didn't have 3-car garages when we were looking. That location is convenient. The mobil home community next door was a bit of a downer for us, but it seemed like a nicer mobil home community. Some of them do not age well, so there was a bit of risk there for us to factor in.

I don't know of any new home builders who do not subsidize the HOA to a great extent while the community is being built. Thus, there's almost always an increase in HOA fees when the builder/develop exits. It's standard operating procedure. I'd expect HOA's to increase by 1/3rd upon builder exit.

I also don't know of any new home builders who don't make a massive profit off their design centers. Their mark-ups are indeed huge. Just ask your sales person how much the average home buyer of your model spends in the design center, and pad their answer by $10k just to be safe. Add that into the price of home, and lot.

I had a friend who spent nothing in the design center, & planned to do all the upgrades himself. 2 months after moving in, he got sick, and later died. His poor wife was stuck with the fallout from that decision.

Some of these massive communities take 8+ years to build out, so you could always buy early on, then sell before the developer exits, and the HOA's go up. You'd have to keep moving every 8 years or so though, & moving's no fun at all. It was a strategy I considered, but now we've met so many great new friends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2021, 03:10 PM
 
Location: NoVa
2,254 posts, read 3,137,514 times
Reputation: 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We looked at Bellacina too, but they didn't have 3-car garages when we were looking. That location is convenient. The mobil home community next door was a bit of a downer for us, but it seemed like a nicer mobil home community. Some of them do not age well, so there was a bit of risk there for us to factor in.

I don't know of any new home builders who do not subsidize the HOA to a great extent while the community is being built. Thus, there's almost always an increase in HOA fees when the builder/develop exits. It's standard operating procedure. I'd expect HOA's to increase by 1/3rd upon builder exit.

I also don't know of any new home builders who don't make a massive profit off their design centers. Their mark-ups are indeed huge. Just ask your sales person how much the average home buyer of your model spends in the design center, and pad their answer by $10k just to be safe. Add that into the price of home, and lot.

I had a friend who spent nothing in the design center, & planned to do all the upgrades himself. 2 months after moving in, he got sick, and later died. His poor wife was stuck with the fallout from that decision.

Some of these massive communities take 8+ years to build out, so you could always buy early on, then sell before the developer exits, and the HOA's go up. You'd have to keep moving every 8 years or so though, & moving's no fun at all. It was a strategy I considered, but now we've met so many great new friends.
The mobile home next to Bellacina gave us a pause too initially. We drove by it (now we bike into the mobile home community all the time as part of our daily bike routine) and realized it's a 55+ mobile home community with well maintained homes, so that eased our mind enough to boost our decision to buy in Bellacina.

Agreed with you on HOA and design center. HOA will increase year to year, no matter which HOA community you live in. That's just the way it goes - shrug.

Re: design center: You have to know what's important to you in your new house and stick to it with discipline at the design center. Before your design center appointment, go there on their preview night (they usually have open house once a week) to see what they offer there. Ask to see the standard stuff that's included in the house price and see it at the design center for yourself. They can't give you prices, but at least you are well prepared on what to expect and what you know will need an upgrade. It's super easy to get tempted with the beautiful things on display at the design center - the design center is designed to tempt you to spend more money after all. But if you do your homework ahead of time, you should be able to stay within budget. But if you're the type to want top of the line this, top of the line that, well, then you'll pay for those.

Also, I think selling your house while the development is still on-going only works when the housing market is crazy like now. When the market is soft, you are going to compete with the developer of your community who has more flexibility to offer buyer incentives than you. And let's face it, most people are going to prefer a brand new home than an existing home. Add the buyer's incentives on top of that, your house is going to sit a lot longer in the market than the new homes. Speaking from experience here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Sarasota/ Bradenton - University Pkwy area
3,699 posts, read 5,360,288 times
Reputation: 3824
Re: design center: You have to know what's important to you in your new house and stick to it with discipline at the design center. Before your design center appointment, go there on their preview night (they usually have open house once a week) to see what they offer there. Ask to see the standard stuff that's included in the house price and see it at the design center for yourself. They can't give you prices, but at least you are well prepared on what to expect and what you know will need an upgrade. It's super easy to get tempted with the beautiful things on display at the design center - the design center is designed to tempt you to spend more money after all. But if you do your homework ahead of time, you should be able to stay within budget. But if you're the type to want top of the line this, top of the line that, well, then you'll pay for those.

Also, I think selling your house while the development is still on-going only works when the housing market is crazy like now. When the market is soft, you are going to compete with the developer of your community who has more flexibility to offer buyer incentives than you. And let's face it, most people are going to prefer a brand new home than an existing home. Add the buyer's incentives on top of that, your house is going to sit a lot longer in the market than the new homes. Speaking from experience here.



Excellent post, could not have said it better myself.

As to upgrades, I suggest buyers focus on items that can’t be changed easily, things that will be expensive, time consuming and disruptive to replace later on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 08:15 PM
 
66 posts, read 23,750 times
Reputation: 64
Buy a house that the owner needs to MOVE, with most of the *stuff* you want in a house. Keep in mind, a house is a shelter, a place to live, and if you're over 65-70 your days are numbered anyway! you may drop dead before you close on the house, or within 1 year or within 7 years when your butt really needs to be in an assisted living environment and not cooking your meals, not interested in "golfing", "cycling", "pickleball", "driving", "cycling", "swimming at the pool", looking at the moblie home park next door, "going to church/services, "driving to Costco", "visiting your children/grandchildren", "writing a check to the HOA" or even chatting on C-D. Wake the hell up lol


People don't live forever, and if you're 65-70 you're closer to death or some sort of normal incapacity anyway.


Some people crack me up making decisions on buying a house as if they are 35 years old. It's a HOUSE!


It's about as stupid as someone 65-70 plopping down 500k cash on a damn house rather than keeping liquid. lol


Amazing human nature is sometimes. Whatever makes you happy I guess.


People actually think they "own" a house free and clear when they pay cash too. Now that's really stupid You never ever own a house free and clear, ha ha. It's never ever "clear"!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 08:19 PM
 
2,287 posts, read 2,463,525 times
Reputation: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Nokomis would be closest, then Downtown Venice Beach at the end of West Venice Ave would be ~1 mile further away. Both very nice beaches with restrooms, and concession stands with good food.

Downtown Venice has lifeguards, but I'm not sure if Nokomis does, or not.

In-season, the parking is more plentiful at Nokomis. Venice can fill up if you go peak times on 80+ days, so you may have to park along West Venice Ave and have to walk a ways.
Nokomis has lifeguards and if you make a left instead of going into Nokomis beach you can get the the North Jetty beach which also has lifeguards. If you go to North Jetty, you can watch the people fish. I would swim a little further down the beach as they are casting lines out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 08:20 PM
 
2,287 posts, read 2,463,525 times
Reputation: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttyShekelman View Post
Buy a house that the owner needs to MOVE, with most of the *stuff* you want in a house. Keep in mind, a house is a shelter, a place to live, and if you're over 65-70 your days are numbered anyway! you may drop dead before you close on the house, or within 1 year or within 7 years when your butt really needs to be in an assisted living environment and not cooking your meals, not interested in "golfing", "cycling", "pickleball", "driving", "cycling", "swimming at the pool", looking at the moblie home park next door, "going to church/services, "driving to Costco", "visiting your children/grandchildren", "writing a check to the HOA" or even chatting on C-D. Wake the hell up lol


People don't live forever, and if you're 65-70 you're closer to death or some sort of normal incapacity anyway.


Some people crack me up making decisions on buying a house as if they are 35 years old. It's a HOUSE!


It's about as stupid as someone 65-70 plopping down 500k cash on a damn house rather than keeping liquid. lol


Amazing human nature is sometimes. Whatever makes you happy I guess.


People actually think they "own" a house free and clear when they pay cash too. Now that's really stupid You never ever own a house free and clear, ha ha. It's never ever "clear"!
Wait until you're 65. You won't think it's so old and I guarantee you won't think you're going to die in 7 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 08:26 AM
 
66 posts, read 23,750 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Wait until you're 65. You won't think it's so old and I guarantee you won't think you're going to die in 7 years.



No person I've met who is over 65 even "plans" to "die" or become incapacitated. Most live in a town near the river, Denial.


People don't think, period...they "feel" and "emote" . It's silly at over 65-70 to be enthralled with the idea and process of buying another house unless it fits firmly into a plan for healthcare and ancillary services. For example: spending the money for a house that requires you spending money at the "Club" on a monthly basis seems crazy, so does buying a house with a huge pool, garden and hot tub - when you might not be physically able to even use it. It does make sense to install or buy a house with bath grab bars in every bathroom, high toilets, walk-in-versatile shower/tub applications, wider doors, entrance/exit ramps, and maybe a "golf cart" lol (because you may not be drivin')...


No one "plans to die", but you can BOOK you're going to, sooner than later if you're 65+. You may "go out" healthy or you might "go out" in misery, but you're going to bite the dust. I'll put money on it.


A "house" is shelter. "It ain't no home". You'll be "home" when you die, either upstairs or in the "basement"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 06:36 PM
 
2,287 posts, read 2,463,525 times
Reputation: 3924
I feel sorry for you if your house is only shelter, Sheckie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 04:37 PM
 
1 posts, read 138 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by conedman54 View Post
Vicenza is situated south of Sarasota but only a short drive away. After looking at communities and neighborhoods from Tampa to Naples we chose Vicenza. A word of advice if you're budget conscious, don't wait too long to purchase. Northerners like myself are flocking to Florida and prices are increasing rapidly, also maintenance is just right compared to other communities.

We're in our late 50's and haven't moved in yet but from what I've read in this forum, the area is very family oriented. If you're in the area...ask for Steve at Neal, he's a great guy, we never felt pressured after many visits.

And if you have any questions about the area...Sunshine Rules is very helpful too.
Hi there future neighbor. We also bought in Vicenza last December after looking for a year from Tampa to Naples and even inland. We are also in our late 50's. You are right about prices increases. Spoke to Steve the other day and he's out of available plots to sell and he wont have new plots available for a few days. Can't wait to get out of Michigan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 07:28 PM
 
66 posts, read 23,750 times
Reputation: 64
A house is a house aka shelter, i.e. a place to LIVE out your life...to eat, sleep and hang out, have a meal, and enjoy your days LEFT, say, over 65 to 70 and above....stop pretending as of you're living another 15 years in excellent with the same activity OR NEEDs.


You people crack me up..the others I shall pray for you to understand where you ARE on the timeline of LIFE.


Stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top