U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 08:46 PM

20 posts, read 10,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs99 View Post
Hi there future neighbor. We also bought in Vicenza last December after looking for a year from Tampa to Naples and even inland. We are also in our late 50's. You are right about prices increases. Spoke to Steve the other day and he's out of available plots to sell and he wont have new plots available for a few days. Can't wait to get out of Michigan.
Hi neighbor, we made the move to purchase last year (October) after seeing prices increase everywhere. We were waiting for Windward and Grand Park but decided on Vicenza. Our home should be ready soon and looking forward to enjoying beautiful Florida.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Re: design center: You have to know what's important to you in your new house and stick to it with discipline at the design center. Before your design center appointment, go there on their preview night (they usually have open house once a week) to see what they offer there. Ask to see the standard stuff that's included in the house price and see it at the design center for yourself. They can't give you prices, but at least you are well prepared on what to expect and what you know will need an upgrade. It's super easy to get tempted with the beautiful things on display at the design center - the design center is designed to tempt you to spend more money after all. But if you do your homework ahead of time, you should be able to stay within budget. But if you're the type to want top of the line this, top of the line that, well, then you'll pay for those.

Also, I think selling your house while the development is still on-going only works when the housing market is crazy like now. When the market is soft, you are going to compete with the developer of your community who has more flexibility to offer buyer incentives than you. And let's face it, most people are going to prefer a brand new home than an existing home. Add the buyer's incentives on top of that, your house is going to sit a lot longer in the market than the new homes. Speaking from experience here.

Excellent post, could not have said it better myself.

As to upgrades, I suggest buyers focus on items that can’t be changed easily, things that will be expensive, time consuming and disruptive to replace later on.

Thumbs up Sunshine.
Before heading to the design center, do your research. I priced many items online and found them to be equal and sometimes more than what the design center was asking...faucets, light fixtures etc. Remember, flooring and cabinets are labor intensive and you’re paying not only for the product but for the installation.
it’s all a matter of do I want it now or later. I’ve lived through renovations, additions, major and minor projects and the convenience of moving into a brand new home and not having to do anything major except decorate is worth it. Will we be upgrading or doing some small items ourselves...certainly but after a day at the beach.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:51 AM

17 posts, read 17,495 times
Has anyone had any luck with not choosing a standard option and getting a credit ? For example if I skip their base refrigerator and choose to purchase one myself will they credit me the cost ?

Old 02-02-2021, 11:20 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,138,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubct View Post
Has anyone had any luck with not choosing a standard option and getting a credit ? For example if I skip their base refrigerator and choose to purchase one myself will they credit me the cost ?
My neighbor asked for the same thing (she didn't like the dishwashing machine) when she was about to sign on her house and they told her no. This was before pandemic and before all the pricess went bats**t crazy. In a soft market, maybe, but now? I highly doubt any developer will agree to it.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:03 PM

4,498 posts, read 8,930,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubct View Post
We have friends in several different communities in Venice/Sarasota area whom have bought 'new construction'. None have ever had any success with a 'delete option' negotiation in any design center, (profit margin packing center), that they or we, have dealt with.

Add in that the basic 'builder' stuff inc appliances, are often low to medium 'grade' at best, but marked up like high end, and one feels a bit ripped.

If one selects 'higher grades' of fixtures, apps, surfaces et al those are usually just 'normal' not 'high end', but the up charges are significant in our two new house in SW FL experiences.
GL, mD

Old 02-03-2021, 12:14 AM

9,493 posts, read 3,536,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We have friends in several different communities in Venice/Sarasota area whom have bought 'new construction'. None have ever had any success with a 'delete option' negotiation in any design center, (profit margin packing center), that they or we, have dealt with.

Add in that the basic 'builder' stuff inc appliances, are often low to medium 'grade' at best, but marked up like high end, and one feels a bit ripped.

If one selects 'higher grades' of fixtures, apps, surfaces et al those are usually just 'normal' not 'high end', but the up charges are significant in our two new house in SW FL experiences.
GL, mD
I agree. Most hew communities are overpriced. Add to that you have no idea how there finances will be down the road. I would only consider communities that have been around at a minimum 10 years.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:56 AM

11,672 posts, read 3,457,302 times
If anyone knows of any way of buying a new home in a nice new community with a nice amenities package, without having to go through the design center experience, please share it with the rest of us.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If anyone knows of any way of buying a new home in a nice new community with a nice amenities package, without having to go through the design center experience, please share it with the rest of us.
As far as I know, the design center is purely optional. It's like buying a base model car or spending more for the options. It all depends on what you want, what you need and what you can afford.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:11 PM

226 posts, read 117,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttyShekelman View Post
A house is a house aka shelter, i.e. a place to LIVE out your life...to eat, sleep and hang out, have a meal, and enjoy your days LEFT, say, over 65 to 70 and above....stop pretending as of you're living another 15 years in excellent with the same activity OR NEEDs.

You people crack me up..the others I shall pray for you to understand where you ARE on the timeline of LIFE.

Stupid.
I seriously doubt you have prayed for anyone...ever.

If someone who is 65 (or any age for that matter) wants to upgrade their home with features they personally enjoy, that is certainly their prerogative. They aren't purchasing the home for you.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
I seriously doubt you have prayed for anyone...ever.

If someone who is 65 (or any age for that matter) wants to upgrade their home with features they personally enjoy, that is certainly their prerogative. They aren't purchasing the home for you.
I can’t understand all the negativity unless he actually enjoys the reactions. Every nook and crack in my current home has a story.. A home is a living thing that protects us, keeps us warm and provides a place to share loving memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area