U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-09-2021, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Sarasota/ Bradenton - University Pkwy area
3,708 posts, read 5,381,511 times
Reputation: 3843

Advertisements

These people are craftsman, and take great pride in their workmanship. Strong work ethic too.

Like a lot in the world, things change. Cheating on footers, cracked wood used in some of the framing, incorrectly installing windows......these are just some of the incidences I have come across over the past few years, mostly on remodeling jobs. And by people/companies with known reputations. So I would not suggest assuming someone is going to do quality work based on a certain group affiliation.

It has become more and more difficult, in my opinion, to find quality contractors, and those with truly good reputations are in such demand you can wait 6 months or more for their services, if they are willing to consider your job.

Whether a person elects to go with a private builder or a commercial one, I will continue to strongly suggest that the home buyer makes sure the contract includes the right to have private home inspections. A pre-drywall inspection allows the buyer access to information on things such as installation of the framing, windows, AC ductwork, electrical and plumbing. Things that get covered up by drywall. A final home inspection at or near completion of the home is also important, as most builders only warranty workmanship for one year from completion of the home and a lot of potential issues that a home inspector may find do not necessarily show up as problems that first year of ownership.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2021, 12:10 PM
 
17 posts, read 17,775 times
Reputation: 23
Price Increases especially in new developments seem to be going up every couple of weeks. Development we are looking at has gone up 12K on base price just in the last month
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2021, 01:47 PM
 
20 posts, read 9,634 times
Reputation: 23
In reply to a previous question about builders that don't have design centers, I found that DR Horton had a very simplified process. They had a few packages to choose from. You couldn't deviate from those packages, so not much customization. They offered a few extras above and beyond that like baseboards and blinds, but it stayed fairly simple.

That worked well for us as we were dreading the design center of other builders, but wouldn't if you are super picky.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2021, 03:43 PM
 
43 posts, read 12,825 times
Reputation: 85
I would suggest anyone thinking of DR Horton do their due diligence. A number of lawsuits over the past several years due to quality issues.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2021, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Venice, FL
11,710 posts, read 3,497,784 times
Reputation: 7434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
These people are craftsman, and take great pride in their workmanship. Strong work ethic too.

Like a lot in the world, things change. Cheating on footers, cracked wood used in some of the framing, incorrectly installing windows......these are just some of the incidences I have come across over the past few years, mostly on remodeling jobs. And by people/companies with known reputations. So I would not suggest assuming someone is going to do quality work based on a certain group affiliation.

It has become more and more difficult, in my opinion, to find quality contractors, and those with truly good reputations are in such demand you can wait 6 months or more for their services, if they are willing to consider your job.

Whether a person elects to go with a private builder or a commercial one, I will continue to strongly suggest that the home buyer makes sure the contract includes the right to have private home inspections. A pre-drywall inspection allows the buyer access to information on things such as installation of the framing, windows, AC ductwork, electrical and plumbing. Things that get covered up by drywall. A final home inspection at or near completion of the home is also important, as most builders only warranty workmanship for one year from completion of the home and a lot of potential issues that a home inspector may find do not necessarily show up as problems that first year of ownership.
I was unable to find any inspector willing to do a new home inspection AND who had the insurance policy our mass builder required.

They all want to work for realtors doing pre-owned homes where nobody requires them to have workmans comp and liability coverage.

Do you know of ANY inspectors who will do NEW build homes in process, AND have this costly insurance?

Have you seen their insurance certificates? I was unable to find ONE when my time came. Two said they had the insurance, but when it came time to produce it, they both vanished.

If I'm right, this is a dirty little secret in the home inspection racket.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 02-09-2021 at 05:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2021, 05:40 PM
 
51 posts, read 14,322 times
Reputation: 67
Dav e sounds good ! we gotcha..gotta be careful on the net THX ! now I know a lot!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2021, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Sarasota/ Bradenton - University Pkwy area
3,708 posts, read 5,381,511 times
Reputation: 3843
Do you know of ANY inspectors who will do NEW build homes in process, AND have this costly insurance?

Have you seen their insurance certificates? I was unable to find ONE when my time came. Two said they had the insurance, but when it came time to produce it, they both vanished.



I used to have a list of 5 ASHI home inspectors that would do new construction inspections, thanks to the builders ever increasing demands regarding independent home inspectors, my list is now down to 2. And yes, they can both provide proof of insurance. In fact, one just did a pre-drywall inspection for a customer of mine in January.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2021, 06:24 PM
 
20 posts, read 9,634 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
I would suggest anyone thinking of DR Horton do their due diligence. A number of lawsuits over the past several years due to quality issues.
Thanks. I've also heard the same exact thing about every other builder we were considering. Neal, TM, Lennar. Looking into them, I think they all have good and bad, and I've heard it can be the luck of the draw as to what sub-contractors any builder gets at any given time.

Unfortunately, we can't afford the high-end builders, so in the end, we have to pick SOMEONE and they didn't seem any worse than anyone else from my research. Time will tell.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2021, 07:09 AM
 
51 posts, read 14,322 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubct View Post
Price Increases especially in new developments seem to be going up every couple of weeks. Development we are looking at has gone up 12K on base price just in the last month
That's why it's not a good time to buy anything. It's a seller's market only.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2021, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Sunshine state
2,257 posts, read 3,143,150 times
Reputation: 3275
Yeah, I would rent for now if I were the OP. The whole thing reminds me of 2008-2009 all over again. Housing market frenzy (fueled by the pandemic this time instead of subpar mortgage), crazy stock market. Sooner or later the bubble is going to burst and the market will correct itself. Of course, nobody can tell when the bubble is going to burst because the market can sustain such bubble for a long time.

I'm just glad I sold my house up north a few months ago with no contingencies (sold in 2 days with no appraisal, no inspection, no other contingencies, quick 1 month closing). We did maintain the house in tip top shape and threw in a Home Owner's Warranty contract as a good will gesture to the buyers, but I would never buy a house without at least an inspection if I were in the buyer's shoe.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top