U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 01:08 PM

1,616 posts, read 541,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bab_LeBeau View Post
Just because we don't have whites only water fountains is hardly indicative of the absence of racism.

How foolish

Never seen any racism in any part of Florida?? clearly you haven't been to Tallahassee, Perry, Ocala, Orlando, Little Havana/Miami, all around Jax, or talked to a few Haitian and Cuba immigrants....or even met too many Jews in Boca.

Unbelievable naivete or just down right lies
Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 08:49 PM

51 posts, read 16,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Methinks I'll leave that to you sense you think you have all the answers....on everything

Old 02-05-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Methinks I'll leave that to you sense you think you have all the answers....on everything
Alas poor Yorick.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:17 AM

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 02-10-2021 at 12:58 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 05:35 PM

135 posts, read 55,526 times
All I can say is that my father has gotten MUCH more vocally racist since moving to Sarasota 20 years ago. I can't comment broadly, but once upon a time, I never heard racist crap come of out his mouth, even with a few drinks in him. Now, he's either changed or the filter is gone. Here's one example. He was up here staying with my sister and an interracial couple was on TV. His reaction, "Enough with the salt and pepper!" In all my time growing up with him as a kid, I never heard anything like that from him. Maybe it's just him. Maybe it's his wife, but I suspect it's more socially acceptable there than up here.

Old 02-06-2021, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,168 times
Quote:
Have you noticed you haven't received many answers and points of view? That should speak loudly in that most people don't want to be pinned down, and be quoted lol

People avoid frank discussions about racism around Sarasota, especially if they are over say, 55 or 60.

Younger families around here are not for the most part "racist".

Let's make a clear distinction between racism and prejudice. The older retirees can definitely be prejudiced against browns. Latins, blacks and Jews. Seen it, heard it, witnessed it. I've heard the most sneaky variety from the likes of older teachers/transplants and a bunch of real estate sales people, country club gatherings, golf outings, and philanthropic galas/benefits- but it's the real real sneaky snarky "I'm not a racist, racist (or antiSemite)" You know, the type that becomes immediately indignant and outraged if ANYONE would think they're racist (but they know they are, but they put on a face/act because they don't want their friends to think they're out of step, lol.)

Many of these old folks grew up in the north and midwest and never lived next door to a Pakistani, an Indian, a Chinese family, a non-white/mulatto family. These older folks still harbor a lot of myths and unsubstantiated preconceptions - they are victims of their own former communities and whitebread towns. They are a product of their own era and family life, but many are oblivious to their own personal flaws and sneaky hatred/dislike. They've never had a close black friend, brown friend or Jewish friend.

Lots of people have prejudices. Heck, I've met a ton of black racists, I mean truly RACIST.

Let's also make a difference between racism and ethnocentrism...both exist here. Is it Cullman AL 60 years ago? NO. Is it a major problem in daily life? not really, it hides very well.

Maybe you'll get more substantive replies, but I doubt it for the reasons I tried to outline.

All in all, it's a much better area than a ton of cities - perfect? not even close. If you have resources you can live above a lot of c rap
Thank you all. There are some very thoughtful and insightful answers here that have affirmed our decision to relocate there. Thank you!

Old 02-09-2021, 02:10 PM

11,413 posts, read 10,166,381 times
By far Sarasota is the whitest place I've ever lived and I've lived in Myrtle Beach, SC, Columbia, SC, Lynchburg Virginia, and NYC.

That said the majority of my family members are gay. I never witnessed or heard about any prejudices against them.

My Gay BFF got beat up in Myrtle Beach for being gay. It was classified as a hate crime.

Plenty of mixed families in Sarasota. I just don't think people care.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:42 AM

193 posts, read 81,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustwest73 View Post
Hi,

Please forgive me for a potential inflammatory post but I'm hoping we can have some instructive, mature discussion around this topic. I have been planning to move to the area for some time now and just as we were going to pull the trigger we talked to some folks who told us that Sarasota was extremely racist and that they had moved out of the area because of this. We are a racially mixed family of brown and white. The brown part are now afraid to move there. Help? Can folks talk about what their impression and experience have been? When I look at the racial demographics, they match where we currently live and our current community is very accepting of our mixed family.
Was the person you spoke too named CVPFord, Sheckie (insert more random accounts from same user). There are people (like this person) who do not like all the influx of new people and purposely act like it is a terrible place to live to scare you away. Not saying that is the case here, but something to be aware of.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:45 PM
gg

21,722 posts, read 20,658,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
All I can say is that my father has gotten MUCH more vocally racist since moving to Sarasota 20 years ago. I can't comment broadly, but once upon a time, I never heard racist crap come of out his mouth, even with a few drinks in him. Now, he's either changed or the filter is gone. Here's one example. He was up here staying with my sister and an interracial couple was on TV. His reaction, "Enough with the salt and pepper!" In all my time growing up with him as a kid, I never heard anything like that from him. Maybe it's just him. Maybe it's his wife, but I suspect it's more socially acceptable there than up here.
Well you in defense of your dad tv seems to be all about virtue signaling and it is getting old. He might just be tired of being force fed thing that are not the norm.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:57 PM

135 posts, read 55,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well you in defense of your dad tv seems to be all about virtue signaling and it is getting old. He might just be tired of being force fed thing that are not the norm.
Interracial relationships are "not the norm?" Showing that on TV is "virtue signaling?" Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area