U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 12:41 PM

3,590 posts, read 8,475,138 times

Advertisements

I am a white person originally from NJ so I grew up, lived with and worked with other races - with no problem. I do notice it is very white here in Sarasota County and miss the diversity. I am white so I really cannot say if most people here are racist or not - no one I have encountered has indicated to me they are - I am conservative and most of my older friends are too - one couple has a black Grandchild and love him a lot and take him everywhere when he visits - I have not heard of any problems.

Now - on the other hand - one of my sons is Asian and he goes to Pine View School which is a school for gifted kids - he has been the victim of racial slurs from the offspring of the so-called liberal , wealthy and sophisticated set. Since he has a very strong personality he just dismisses them or tells them off. So - yes - there is racism here - probably not any worse than other areas of Florida and better than others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 11:01 AM

193 posts, read 81,587 times
what do you call Liberal than? It is a political term.

Of not judging people by who they voted for, I am guilty for sure.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:15 PM

950 posts, read 577,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustwest73 View Post
Hi,

Please forgive me for a potential inflammatory post but I'm hoping we can have some instructive, mature discussion around this topic. I have been planning to move to the area for some time now and just as we were going to pull the trigger we talked to some folks who told us that Sarasota was extremely racist and that they had moved out of the area because of this. We are a racially mixed family of brown and white. The brown part are now afraid to move there. Help? Can folks talk about what their impression and experience have been? When I look at the racial demographics, they match where we currently live and our current community is very accepting of our mixed family.
Move to Tampa Bay area in specific. More diverse and more things to do. Also easier to catch a flight and other advantages that a major city would have.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:13 PM

229 posts, read 119,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
All I can say is that my father has gotten MUCH more vocally racist since moving to Sarasota 20 years ago. I can't comment broadly, but once upon a time, I never heard racist crap come of out his mouth, even with a few drinks in him. Now, he's either changed or the filter is gone. Here's one example. He was up here staying with my sister and an interracial couple was on TV. His reaction, "Enough with the salt and pepper!" In all my time growing up with him as a kid, I never heard anything like that from him. Maybe it's just him. Maybe it's his wife, but I suspect it's more socially acceptable there than up here.
It is not uncommon for older adults to become much less "filtered" as they age.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:01 AM
gg

21,722 posts, read 20,655,386 times
Quote:
Interracial relationships are "not the norm?" Showing that on TV is "virtue signaling?" Seriously?
So out of the 1,000's of people you know how many are interracial? For me it might be around 2%. Is that the norm? Statistics are your friend. I live in a city. If you live in the country, you might be at 0%. Norm? No.

Let's live in the real world, not the one made up by media. I like to actually tell it like it is. Getting tired of the fake crap people spew.

Yeah, seriously.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:26 AM

225 posts, read 96,398 times
Quote:
Interracial relationships are "not the norm?" Showing that on TV is "virtue signaling?" Seriously?
Based on stats, it's not....and I'm happily married into one.

If you go by the number of interracial couples you see on tv commercials these days, you would think that half the population is black man/white woman! At least every third commercial on tv features such a setup, if not every other commercial.

It's clear these production companies (film crews, most likely based in Hollywood/LA/California) are trying to show how "woke" they are and are engaging in social engineering. That cannot be denied.

Is there anything wrong with this? That's up to you. As for me if you're trying to sell me a widget, feature the widget, not Stacey & Daquan and their three mixed kids.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:03 PM

44 posts, read 14,353 times
I agree - statistically not the norm. The world is ever evolving but we also live in strange times where we've been told for years to ignore the color of one's skin or a person's gender and now all of a sudden that is being thrown out the window and we're supposed to intensely focus on our "differences"? It just does not seem right to me. We are all human beings, we should just leave it at that.

As for the experience of Nancy's son, yes, I'm sure some kids may just truly be racist. But I also believe a lot of kids (and adults, usually the parents of said kids) are just a-holes. So many bullies exist, especially when you are growing up. And these a-holes will pick the easiest thing they can to use against you. If it's not the color of your skin being different, it will be the clothes you wear or your glasses or your braces or [insert whatever makes you different from the ruling clique]. Again, these school bullies turn into adult clique bullies. You know them, the peaked in high school lot. Essentially if you are not a child of that ruling group, you are a nobody that can get picked on for any reason. So again, yes, racism does still exist, just not in the widespread way your local news wants you to believe. And I still wonder about this original claim of white people leaving Sarasota because of racism? WTF? That's rich. As someone else mentioned, most people around here don't really care what color someone is. Just be a decent human being and if anyone has a problem with the color of your skin, well that's their problem as they clearly have some growing up & soul-searching to do. But I just don't see widespread, blatant racism around here.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:11 PM

135 posts, read 55,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So out of the 1,000's of people you know how many are interracial? For me it might be around 2%. Is that the norm? Statistics are your friend. I live in a city. If you live in the country, you might be at 0%. Norm? No.

Let's live in the real world, not the one made up by media. I like to actually tell it like it is. Getting tired of the fake crap people spew.

Yeah, seriously.
Perhaps the phrase you want is “as common.” To say not normal has a negative implication. I know A LOT of interracial couples and I live in the real world. I have a lots of friends in interracial relationships. It doesn’t seem even slightly “not normal” to me. Seeing mixed couples is perfectly normal to me.

Last edited by WestRiverTraveler; 02-16-2021 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 10:41 PM
gg

21,722 posts, read 20,655,386 times
Quote:
Perhaps the phrase you want is “as common.” To say not normal has a negative implication. I know A LOT of interracial couples and I live in the real world. I have a lots of friends in interracial relationships. It doesn’t seem even slightly “not normal” to me. Seeing mixed couples is perfectly normal to me.
Well you would be one in a million. I have been to almost ever state and I can assure you it is VERY rare.

Personally I could care less about it. This topic was because of a comment of someone's father making some racist comments about TV or whatever. I am just pointing out that TV doesn't even come close to real representation. Look at all the tough women cop shows and TONS of black women in law enforcement on TV. Very rare compared to white and black men being cops. That is the norm.

TV is silly pandering crap. It is like the MUST have diversity in everything. I feel worse now for black people than I did back in the 80's. People just had fun back then and we all danced together black and whites. It was no big deal. The left made it something it wasn't since Trump got elected. The left used race to get Trump out. Everyone could see that. Oh, I really would like Trump to go away forever. Can't stand him! But I am tired of the fake garbage more.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:12 PM

15 posts, read 1,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well you would be one in a million. I have been to almost ever state and I can assure you it is VERY rare.

Personally I could care less about it. This topic was because of a comment of someone's father making some racist comments about TV or whatever. I am just pointing out that TV doesn't even come close to real representation. Look at all the tough women cop shows and TONS of black women in law enforcement on TV. Very rare compared to white and black men being cops. That is the norm.

TV is silly pandering crap. It is like the MUST have diversity in everything. I feel worse now for black people than I did back in the 80's. People just had fun back then and we all danced together black and whites. It was no big deal. The left made it something it wasn't since Trump got elected. The left used race to get Trump out. Everyone could see that. Oh, I really would like Trump to go away forever. Can't stand him! But I am tired of the fake garbage more.

What? are your saying interracial friendships, couples, marriages etc are VERY RARE??

Wow, I don't know what planet you live on in 2021, but it's NOT "very" rare at all...that's laughable

Maybe YOU don't wish to "see it" ?? lol or "wish" it weren't prevalent? lol geezus

"Very Rare" it's not, and it's certainly not "ab-NORMAL" in fact I'd say it's pretty common and doesn't deserve a lot of scrutiny, anaylsis or handwringing lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area