U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 2,067 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Please forgive me for a potential inflammatory post but I'm hoping we can have some instructive, mature discussion around this topic. I have been planning to move to the area for some time now and just as we were going to pull the trigger we talked to some folks who told us that Sarasota was extremely racist and that they had moved out of the area because of this. We are a racially mixed family of brown and white. The brown part are now afraid to move there. Help? Can folks talk about what their impression and experience have been? When I look at the racial demographics, they match where we currently live and our current community is very accepting of our mixed family.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 12:45 PM

1,578 posts, read 529,877 times
"we talked to some folks who told us that Sarasota was extremely racist and that they had moved out of the area because of this"

What did they say happened to them? Different people have different sensitivities. What does extremely racist mean to you?

Did their daughter not make the cheerleading squad? Was a cross burned on their lawn? Lots can happen between the two events.

I would also contact a religious institution in the area. If you can drive there I would visit in person. Otherwise, call a local church, synagogue, temple, or mosque, and speak to the outreach director. Approach the issue with a person who would have first hand knowledge of larger issues.

Last edited by Lillie767; 01-31-2021 at 01:17 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,067 times
Great points and great questions. It came from a white couple we met one day and comparing travel notes, they mentioned they used to live there but sold and moved away because "people were so racist." They did claim there were specific events but since we just met them, we didn't feel comfortable asking for details.

We really love everything we see and read about Sarasota area and do need to visit. It seems like a great place to raise a family.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:30 AM

51 posts, read 14,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustwest73 View Post
Great points and great questions. It came from a white couple we met one day and comparing travel notes, they mentioned they used to live there but sold and moved away because "people were so racist." They did claim there were specific events but since we just met them, we didn't feel comfortable asking for details.

We really love everything we see and read about Sarasota area and do need to visit. It seems like a great place to raise a family.

Have you noticed you haven't received many answers and points of view? That should speak loudly in that most people don't want to be pinned down, and be quoted lol

People avoid frank discussions about racism around Sarasota, especially if they are over say, 55 or 60.

Younger families around here are not for the most part "racist".

Let's make a clear distinction between racism and prejudice. The older retirees can definitely be prejudiced against browns. Latins, blacks and Jews. Seen it, heard it, witnessed it. I've heard the most sneaky variety from the likes of older teachers/transplants and a bunch of real estate sales people, country club gatherings, golf outings, and philanthropic galas/benefits- but it's the real real sneaky snarky "I'm not a racist, racist (or antiSemite)" You know, the type that becomes immediately indignant and outraged if ANYONE would think they're racist (but they know they are, but they put on a face/act because they don't want their friends to think they're out of step, lol.)

Many of these old folks grew up in the north and midwest and never lived next door to a Pakistani, an Indian, a Chinese family, a non-white/mulatto family. These older folks still harbor a lot of myths and unsubstantiated preconceptions - they are victims of their own former communities and whitebread towns. They are a product of their own era and family life, but many are oblivious to their own personal flaws and sneaky hatred/dislike. They've never had a close black friend, brown friend or Jewish friend.

Lots of people have prejudices. Heck, I've met a ton of black racists, I mean truly RACIST.

Let's also make a difference between racism and ethnocentrism...both exist here. Is it Cullman AL 60 years ago? NO. Is it a major problem in daily life? not really, it hides very well.

Maybe you'll get more substantive replies, but I doubt it for the reasons I tried to outline.

All in all, it's a much better area than a ton of cities - perfect? not even close. If you have resources you can live above a lot of c rap

Old 02-03-2021, 03:24 PM

228 posts, read 118,896 times
My son's family is mixed raced. They have no issues with the area and are looking forward to relocating here within the next two years from the NYC area. Have there been remarks on occasion from ignorant people? Of course. That being said, no more than anywhere else. (including NY.) Most people are welcoming.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:01 AM

To OP

you SEE? only 5 posts and answers to your legitimate inquiry about the area LOL

Old 02-04-2021, 09:42 AM

1,578 posts, read 529,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustwest73 View Post

So, someone you don't know but met casually mentioned to you that people were racist. You didn't know them well enough to ask about it. That's certainly a trustworthy source. NOT.

I'm here to say I have never ever experienced or seen any racism in any part of Florida. I haven't seen a Whites Only water fountain in years. They must all be gone by now.

So y'all come on down ya hear.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:46 AM

Just because we don't have whites only water fountains is hardly indicative of the absence of racism.

How foolish

Never seen any racism in any part of Florida?? clearly you haven't been to Tallahassee, Perry, Ocala, Orlando, Little Havana/Miami, all around Jax, or talked to a few Haitian and Cuba immigrants....or even met too many Jews in Boca.

Unbelievable naivete or just down right lies

Old 02-04-2021, 11:09 AM
gg

21,722 posts, read 20,646,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bab_LeBeau View Post
Just because we don't have whites only water fountains is hardly indicative of the absence of racism.

How foolish

Never seen any racism in any part of Florida?? clearly you haven't been to Tallahassee, Perry, Ocala, Orlando, Little Havana/Miami, all around Jax, or talked to a few Haitian and Cuba immigrants....or even met too many Jews in Boca.

Unbelievable naivete or just down right lies
Most racism and bigotry is from life experiences or sometimes upbringing. Let's use police as an example. Clearly there is a huge group against all police. That sure is a prejudice and can be looked at like racism. Just another blanket of people that you are afraid of or dislike or maybe just don't trust. Maybe you have a little racism as everyone does unless you are a Buddhist monk and if you see several black youths coming towards you in the evening and you are alone and you just have your guard up just a tiny bit more than if you saw a man of any color walking towards you with a walker. Hmmm. Are you racist because you have a different reaction?

The lies are from everyone that feels they treat everyone that dresses differently, looks like they are from a gang in LA or a very large white man that has a cowboy hat on or take your pick. Life experience dictates how people react. Also, if you watch the local news or a feed from Tampa you see one heck of a lot of crime from the black community. That might make you scared. What if you see Mexicans working amazingly hard in the landscaping trade and you think that most all Mexicans are amazing workers? Just another generalization and can be viewed just like racism really. Life experience.

As someone that was targeted by a very large group of black kids when I was about 9 years old at a camp that I was the only white kid there, I can tell you that shaped my concern when I see a large group of black youths walking towards me. My guard would be higher due to a week of punishment for being white. Sorry, but we all don't have the same life experiences.

Now all this is an attempted to show you a different view. As far as "racism" in the Sarasota area? Sure, just like about anywhere else. It is around from people's life experiences or fears and so-on. Race is not even close the the bigotry that is around, it is the one the media lives for. We had a black president for 8 years. That means one heck of a lot of white people voted for Obama.

Hope this puts this race thingy in some perspective. I always treat others like I would want to be treated. I am a Gen Xer and was taught to treat everyone equal regardless of race. Now we are being taught to treat people differently because of race. It is very hard for the X'ers because we weren't taught what you and the media are telling us now. Treat blacks as a separate category. Odd times for us.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:16 AM

12 posts, read 3,897 times
Hi, I applaud you wanting to dig into all aspects related to a possible relocation. I've lived in S. Sarasota County for 31 yrs. I am white. We raised our only child (son) here. I would say things are better than they were when we moved here. That being said, this area was and still is predominantly elderly white people and politically and socially conservative. The majority that I have come in contact with do not understand and do not wish to understand white privilege and would prefer to remain in an all white/predominantly white neighborhood.

To gain some perspective, I suggest you visit the Venice Interfaith Community Association website, https://veniceinterfaith.org

Click on the Programs tab and scroll to the Racism programs that were videotaped over two years of programming. You can scroll through the sessions and hear from POC and their experiences living here. Keep in mind that the programs were held in Venice, Florida which is in Sarasota County, but the southern portion of the county.

You might also want to Google some of the backlash to diversity education that was begun by the Sarasota County School system earlier this school year.

I hope some of this information is helpful in your research about relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area