Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 10:46 AM

316 posts, read 303,628 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I've been reading a bit about the hazards of buying an older home; namely the fact that they aren't up to the current hurricane code standards. I believe the latest codes are from 2001, correct?

If one were to buy a house built before 2001, would it even be possible to "bring it up to code"? Is this something people do? What sort of costs are involved? Are there reputable companies that do this sort of work? I imagine we are talking windows & roofs for the most part, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

We are partial to the larger lot sizes and would prefer a private backyard with our own pool. The new home communities don't really appeal to us, which is why we are thinking an older home would open up our options.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I'd love to hear from beach43ofus, in particular, as he often has very valuable advice.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 05:37 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
There are things you can do to make an older home more hurricane proof but it was not built to current hurricane codes and you cannot retro fit it to the exact same building code standards of a new construction home.

Installing high impact windows and doors or appropriate hurricane shutters is one of the most common upgrades by owners of older homes. That includes having a high impact rated garage door installed as well. All of these upgrades require building permits, by the way, so hire professionals.

When you replace the roof, you could have steel hurricane clips installed to increase the strength of connection between the roof and the house.

If your AC compressor is not strapped down already, you may wish to have that done.

Here's a guide on retro-fitting older homes that you may find useful:

https://apps.floridadisaster.org/hrg/

By the way, I totally understand about wanting a larger yard. I actually live in a home built in 1997 and it works well for us.

Last edited by Sunshine Rules; 01-26-2021 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-26-2021, 06:26 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Don't be scared off by an older home OP - just be sure to work with a professional who knows Florida well. We've bought homes in a few different states over the years and Florida has some aspects that new homeowners need to be aware of.

We bought an older home a year ago and couldn't be happier. We had lived in newly built master planned communities for many years and there are certainly advantages to them (or else we wouldn't have lived in them for so long) but there are pluses for being in an older community also. Feel free to DM me if you'd like.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:58 AM

Sunshine Rules & rfomd129 - thank you for responding. I did send a DM to each of you.

On another note, does anyone know if are there any older homes that offer natural gas for cooking? Or is that only available in the newer communities?

Old 01-27-2021, 09:32 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,896,864 times
The shingles have to be nailed a certain way (wind mitigation) to get a reduction on your insurance. You need a special garage door or have yours reinforced, the roof has to be attached to the walls with steel clips. You need hurricane shutters or hurricane $$$$ windows and doors. You need to make sure no tree will fall on your house. The best advice is to hire an architect and get a better idea. We have a house from 1990 with a pool and huge yard and no interest in those postage stamp size lots with new builds. Up here in Jax, we have been spared so far.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:28 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Are you concerned about insurance cost or you own safety? If its the former one of the biggest things is the roof and wind mitigation. If you get a house with a hip style or few gables your insura;ce will be lower. I had a 1980 home and insurance was 1500 per year. It had a hip room and hurricane shudders. I found that reasonable If. Was to code i doubt it would be that much cheaper. The big price tag can be flood insurance. Make sure you are in flood zone x. While insurance is not required on mortgages in flood zone x. I would still get it. It will be about 500 per year.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:02 AM

Vacoder, I'm not worried about insurance cost, but rather the hassle and cost of future repairs, as well as our safety.

And yes, we will definitely be purchasing flood insurance even in a lower risk area.

Thank you.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:28 PM

66 posts, read 79,188 times
What's the odds that you're going to get HIT by a damn hurricane? y'ou're spending money for no good reason. Do the math in re the risk. Heck, you might fall and break your hip and die, what then? you might have a heart attack and what good is your house then? Some jackkazz may hit your car on41 and leave you paralyzed. One of your kids may have or develop a serious medical condition....and

Old 01-28-2021, 10:12 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
Vacoder, I'm not worried about insurance cost, but rather the hassle and cost of future repairs, as well as our safety.

And yes, we will definitely be purchasing flood insurance even in a lower risk area.

Thank you.
Most florida homes are cbs. Concrete block stucco. When a hurricane cones thru generally the walls are not the issue. Roofs and windows are. For roof if you stay away from gables you should be fine. When the roof needs replacement go for the third nail. As far as windows you can use hurricane shutters rather that high impact glass. Just as safe. Just not as convienient. I actually owned a house that took a direct hit from Charlie. Some roof damage and that was all. Home was built in 1970.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:07 AM

66 posts, read 79,188 times
^^^this...I rest my case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area