U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2021, 11:10 AM

18 posts, read 6,536 times

Advertisements

Been looking at properties everywhere from Clearwater down to Sarasota. Ideally I'd like St Pete or Seminole but due to limited inventory and rising prices have widened my search. I've never been to Bradenton and at the beginning of doing a little research. What is the BayShore Gardens area like, specifically say South of Bayshore Gardens Parkway and west of 14th Street?

From looking at Google Streetview I see some really nice properties but others not well taken care of and some blocks that look pretty rundown. Is this area safe? Nice or dumpy? Is it coming up and getting nicer?

Also any advice on what areas of Bradenton are good or which to avoid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 12:13 PM

29 posts, read 14,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuppplugg View Post
Been looking at properties everywhere from Clearwater down to Sarasota. Ideally I'd like St Pete or Seminole but due to limited inventory and rising prices have widened my search. I've never been to Bradenton and at the beginning of doing a little research. What is the BayShore Gardens area like, specifically say South of Bayshore Gardens Parkway and west of 14th Street?

From looking at Google Streetview I see some really nice properties but others not well taken care of and some blocks that look pretty rundown. Is this area safe? Nice or dumpy? Is it coming up and getting nicer?

We are part-timers (for about two years now) and have a condo about a mile north of Bayshore Gardens at GardenWalk condos at 53rd Ave and 26th Street. Sure, there is crime in the area, just as there is in any city. I review the crime activity on the Manatee Country Sheriff's crime map to see specifically what happens in the area. The crime in the area might be slightly above average, but I don't feel unsafe by any means. I think there are more issues with crime around 14th and to the east of it than to the west of it. The further west you go and towards IMG Academy, the less crime there is. I don't know much about how things are as you head south towards Sarasota since we pretty much drive down 14th only to airport or Sarasota.

As for the neighborhoods around Bayshore, they are are for the most part middle income/middle class homes and neighborhoods. Some take care of their homes much better than others. There are some with too many cars parked on the property and others I wish were better kept. Others do a good job a keeping up their place though. It is definitely a mixed bag on that front, but not awful. Yes, as you drive down 53rd Ave going west just a couple miles away, there are some very nice neighborhoods with much bigger and more expensive homes.

We love the area in that you can get to literally any type of food, grocery or retail along Cortex Ave and 14th as well. The beaches are only 7.5 miles away and the Bradenton Sarasota (SRQ) Airport being about the same distance away. That is huge plus for us vs. going 35 miles back to the Tampa Airport. Don't underestimate that if you have to travel at all. We can fly into SRQ, take an Uber to our place, where we have a car left there to use during our stays.

All in all, there are some nicer neighborhoods more to the west and north in Bradenton as well as to the far east in the Lakewood Ranch area (way too pricey and far from the beach) than Bayshore Gardens. That said, we feel safe in the area and love the convenience to amenities that are important to us and the beach. You could certainly do worse than this area in other part of Bradenton or in the Tampa market, in general. It is definitely worth a look for you in my opinion.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:42 PM

598 posts, read 435,013 times
Quote:

I guess I would want to know what part of the country are you coming from to compare/contrast.
There are some issues around Bayshore, but def not a "bad" area.
It's funny coming from the Northeast where a nice town was a nice town with no real sections that differed.
Down here, you may have a really nice development and next to it a section of homeless camps and run down apartment complexes.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:01 PM

15,963 posts, read 33,721,574 times
Well we lived just south of that area in Whitfield Estates for 12 years and still own that home although we don't live there now. Bayshore Gardens was once a haven for lower income retirees and snowbirds from the midwest consisting of small mid century homes. These days it is a lower income area, rather diverse but doesn't strike me as "unsafe."

Because of it's great location I look to see that area start improving and increasing in value by leaps and bounds. Not much left that is affordable here, and it is close to the water and convenient to everything.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:38 PM

5,020 posts, read 6,785,813 times
I have only seen the areas in Bayshore Gardens that I use in my travels -- that is, Bayshore Gardens Parkway, 26th Street, Florida Boulevard. From what I've seen, the homes go from pretty rundown to a mess. There's nowhere to park on the street so cars end up on, you guessed it, the lawn. That said, maybe there are some interior areas that are better-kept but personally, I'd steer clear. And it's a shame because those mid-century modern homes could really be special, from a historic sense. As someone else mentioned, the further you go west from 14th Street, the nicer the neighborhoods -- but not always. There are definitely pockets of seediness sometimes just around the corner, so do your due diligence. If you want me to do a drive-by of anything specific in Bayshore, message me, I'm retired with nothing else to do, lol.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygphotos View Post
I guess I would want to know what part of the country are you coming from to compare/contrast.
There are some issues around Bayshore, but def not a "bad" area.
It's funny coming from the Northeast where a nice town was a nice town with no real sections that differed.
Down here, you may have a really nice development and next to it a section of homeless camps and run down apartment complexes.
I'm coming from Chicagoland area. What you said is so true, up here you can basically pick a city and know there's not a bad area in the entire city however like you mentioned in Florida and in the Carolinas where my folks live things are the same way, you'll have million Dollar houses next to shacks. It makes it hard to house shop from out of State as well as you really need to be able to drive a neighborhood from what I can tell.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well we lived just south of that area in Whitfield Estates for 12 years and still own that home although we don't live there now. Bayshore Gardens was once a haven for lower income retirees and snowbirds from the midwest consisting of small mid century homes. These days it is a lower income area, rather diverse but doesn't strike me as "unsafe."

Because of it's great location I look to see that area start improving and increasing in value by leaps and bounds. Not much left that is affordable here, and it is close to the water and convenient to everything.
I notice a lot of trailer parks in the area and some giant area called trailer park estates. How are those areas?

Old 02-05-2021, 09:36 PM

15,963 posts, read 33,721,574 times
Quote:
I'm coming from Chicagoland area. What you said is so true, up here you can basically pick a city and know there's not a bad area in the entire city however like you mentioned in Florida and in the Carolinas where my folks live things are the same way, you'll have million Dollar houses next to shacks. It makes it hard to house shop from out of State as well as you really need to be able to drive a neighborhood from what I can tell.
Yes, you really, really need to do"boots on the ground" here, not only to check neighborhood but the actual property. Pictures can be very deceiving. You lso asked about trailer parks, but most anywhere near that area are fairly trashy. Not sure about the one you named however. I would not recommend a trailer park.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:59 AM

5,020 posts, read 6,785,813 times
First of all, even if it was a beautiful park, I would not live in one named "Trailer Estates". But anyway, I know it's huge, they have dances and a million activities at their clubhouse and they're on the water with a marina and post office. Seem to be some nice reviews online. I've never driven through but the units that I've seen along Florida Boulevard don't look all that great. We have an adorable park down the street called Seabreeze Estates, I've never seen one as nice, as trailer parks go.

Old Today, 12:10 PM

74 posts, read 35,937 times
We just visited West Bradenton recently and I ventured over to the Target in that area. Bayshore Gardens isn't somewhere I would personally choose to live at this time, however, I do see it turning in the near future. I drove through the little MCM neighborhood (because I love MCM design) and it looked to be heavy rental territory. But with proximity to water and what is happening in the rest of Bradenton, it would seem to be a great investment opportunity, especially if you are on a strict budget. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area