U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 1,453 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We are a family of 4 moving to Sarasota from the West Coast; kids are 6 and 9.

Priorities are:
* Schools
* Family neighborhood
* Conservative values

Open to golf and country club communities.

Appreciate helpful data or advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 05:48 PM

3,705 posts, read 5,374,923 times
Golf & Country Club communities for the most part in our area trend towards an older demographic.

You might want to research Lakewood Ranch. The median age there is 45. The median age for the city of Sarasota is 49 years, it's 56 in Sarasota county and for the city of Venice the median age is 69.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:32 PM

11,698 posts, read 3,487,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Golf & Country Club communities for the most part in our area trend towards an older demographic.

You might want to research Lakewood Ranch. The median age there is 45. The median age for the city of Sarasota is 49 years, it's 56 in Sarasota county and for the city of Venice the median age is 69.
Just to clarify, the median age for Venice of 69, is that in the City limits of Venice, or the much larger footprint of the mailing address of Venice?

I dont know for sure, but the mailing address of Venice is likely much larger than the City of Venice, and much younger.

There are kids all over the place where I live withn the mailing address of Venice. I'm nowhere near the City of Venice.

I think its very important to differentiate between the 2 different areas to give potential residents an accurate view.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:50 PM

51 posts, read 11,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhcb View Post
Hello All,

We are a family of 4 moving to Sarasota from the West Coast; kids are 6 and 9.

Priorities are:
* Schools
* Family neighborhood
* Conservative values

Open to golf and country club communities.

Appreciate helpful data or advice.

Given what you outlined which is highlighted, why on earth would you look to Sarasota FL? (maybe Manatee...maybe), but of all the cities to regard/investigate in the South with a young family, I would never look at Sarasota as an option, never. I would look at towns and cities in SC, NC, GA or especially Texas if I were moving all the WAY from the west coast of the US. Texas is a better bet for the future it seems to me.

I don't know if you're hellbent on FL, but given your comment and Priorities, I would broaden my search in other states if you're looking to move away from the west coast....Sarasota would be my last choice given what you highlighted.....as important.

Discover central TN, small but intelligent places like Huntsville AL, Spartanburg-Greenville, Raleigh (Research Triangle), Asheville NC and suburbs outside Charlotte....

Coastal GA, and even outside Jacksonville but only in Ponte Vedra Beach

But moving from the west coast? (We own and still own a place in La Jolla) I would never move to Sarasota with a younger family! too many wonderful town options in other SE, SW states! my first choice would be in Texas, second choice TN, third SC, fourth maybe Jax

Good luck

Old 02-11-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Just to clarify, the median age for Venice of 69, is that in the City limits of Venice, or the much larger footprint of the mailing address of Venice?

I dont know for sure, but the mailing address of Venice is likely much larger than the City of Venice, and much younger.

There are kids all over the place where I live withn the mailing address of Venice. I'm nowhere near the City of Venice.

I think its very important to differentiate between the 2 different areas to give potential residents an accurate view.

Englewood

Old 02-11-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bab_LeBeau View Post
Given what you outlined which is highlighted, why on earth would you look to Sarasota FL? (maybe Manatee...maybe), but of all the cities to regard/investigate in the South with a young family, I would never look at Sarasota as an option, never. I would look at towns and cities in SC, NC, GA or especially Texas if I were moving all the WAY from the west coast of the US. Texas is a better bet for the future it seems to me.

I don't know if you're hellbent on FL, but given your comment and Priorities, I would broaden my search in other states if you're looking to move away from the west coast....Sarasota would be my last choice given what you highlighted.....as important.

Discover central TN, small but intelligent places like Huntsville AL, Spartanburg-Greenville, Raleigh (Research Triangle), Asheville NC and suburbs outside Charlotte....

Coastal GA, and even outside Jacksonville but only in Ponte Vedra Beach

But moving from the west coast? (We own and still own a place in La Jolla) I would never move to Sarasota with a younger family! too many wonderful town options in other SE, SW states! my first choice would be in Texas, second choice TN, third SC, fourth maybe Jax

Good luck
Do you live there? What exactly is so bad about Sarasota?

Old 02-11-2021, 10:19 PM

15,963 posts, read 33,728,333 times
I second Lakewood Ranch. Quite a few younger families there and good schools.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:52 PM

Appreciate the help everyone.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:11 AM

@jeff

Never said it was bad ! it's a nice area, but given your stated priorities with young kids, there are other, even better options if you're coming all the way from the WEST coast and moving literally across the CONTINENT.

And frankly, we're getting waay too many relos here in FL, and everyone knows it, but of course you're free to move anywhere at any time, but you should do your own research about other great towns and cities in America for young families to prosper and enjoy. In some ways, FL is becoming CA, which is a bad thing in my book and other locals' book.

Keep in mind, The Great State of Tennessee doesn't have an income tax either.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:23 AM

29 posts, read 14,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bab_LeBeau View Post
@jeff

Never said it was bad ! it's a nice area, but given your stated priorities with young kids, there are other, even better options if you're coming all the way from the WEST coast and moving literally across the CONTINENT.

And frankly, we're getting waay too many relos here in FL, and everyone knows it, but of course you're free to move anywhere at any time, but you should do your own research about other great towns and cities in America for young families to prosper and enjoy. In some ways, FL is becoming CA, which is a bad thing in my book and other locals' book.

Keep in mind, The Great State of Tennessee doesn't have an income tax either.

Good luck.

You are correct that there is no income tax in Tennessee as well. We live in the Nashville area most of the time and and are part timers in Bradenton with a condo there and a plan to retire there or in the area in 6 to 8 years.

The high today in Nashville is 38 degrees with icy roads from the last couple of days of sleet and even colder weather. It is supposed to be 79 degrees in Bradenton today. That might have something to do with why there are people relocating to Florida.

Not sure why there is so much hate and attempted dissuasion to keep people from moving there. People relocate to the Nashville area, not as much for weather, but decent cost of living and good jobs. The growth here is much higher than the national average, but I am not telling to go look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area