Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 10:27 AM

44 posts, read 80,452 times

Advertisements

The experts got it wrong last time around this region. By the way, Hedge funds around here still own a ton of SF houses, and they are itching to dump in a frothy market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 01:14 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denenholtz View Post
The experts got it wrong last time around this region. By the way, Hedge funds around here still own a ton of SF houses, and they are itching to dump in a frothy market.
Also, just how many houses in FL, especially the major cities are owned by land lords in other countries?

I read something about a year ago and cities like Orlando, Miami, New York, San Fran, and I think Dallas had a lot of property owned by Chinese firms. No wonder why they jack the rent up.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Also, just how many houses in FL, especially the major cities are owned by land lords in other countries?

I read something about a year ago and cities like Orlando, Miami, New York, San Fran, and I think Dallas had a lot of property owned by Chinese firms. No wonder why they jack the rent up.
Preferential visa treatment
Babies born in US automatic citizens

Old 03-31-2021, 09:57 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Preferential visa treatment
Babies born in US automatic citizens
Of course these are not the typical Chinese or other Asians but their billionaire ones buying up all the properties.

Someone on here also said in the Sarasota area there are properties owned by Chinese as well.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Of course these are not the typical Chinese or other Asians but their billionaire ones buying up all the properties.

Someone on here also said in the Sarasota area there are properties owned by Chinese as well.
Maybe so but in my neighborhood it is Canadian and European buyers

Old 04-13-2021, 02:00 PM

78 posts, read 110,799 times
I have lost out on my last two attempted property purchases in Venice due to bidding wars.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:25 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Marlowe View Post
That's their problem in NJ. If they are in that much of a hurry, go rent an apt, BV or a trailer. Participation in the bubble from transplants hurt the people and systems HERE in Florida.

Florida First. Florida's people first. Florida's economy first.
Agree 1000%. They bring big money n hurt the local natives. Here - Mexico - Costa Rica every where they go and complain dinner was over $16! The local people can’t afford Diddly - housing is out of control !

Old 04-13-2021, 05:28 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Maybe so but in my neighborhood it is Canadian and European buyers
My sis in real estate over 25 yrs in this area. Chinese cash buyers were eating the blocks, at least until Covid. Not sure where it’s all at now. Seems north transplants running from Covid plus the new boomer retirees just coming in droves.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:39 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
It's not just bidding wars for resale homes, several of the national builders in our area are now releasing limited numbers of lots each month for "auction" to prospective buyers. You have to make your highest and best bid OVER the lot premium price. Winners then get to build. A major home builder in Palmer Ranch released a grand total of four lots here in April -- you can do the math as to where the lot prices are going.

Several other builders are also rationing lots but not doing lot auctions at this time, buyers go on a wait list for upcoming lots as the lot premiums and base home prices continue to escalate. I spoke with a rep of one of those builders that told me a number of prospective buyers literally got priced out of the market while they were waiting for lots to be released. Others are losing out because they are doing financing and appraisals are coming in below the purchase prices (appraisals often lag market prices when it's a seller's market.....), the buyers don't have the extra cash to make up the difference between the appraised price and the purchase price.

Buyers in this market have to be persistent, prepared (financials), but also patient in their pursuit of their next home. It may take losing several bidding wars before they achieve their home buying goals.

I read an interesting article recently by 2 economists who have studied the patterns of real estate boom / bust cycles all the way back to the early 1800's. They claim real estate runs in roughly 18 year cycles. So if our last down cycle was in 2006, the next should occur in 2024. more or less. They are not willing, however, to predict how much of a downturn will take place or for how long because of other factors such as interest rates, government policies and subsidies, mortgage rates, lending, and international conflict, as well as regional real estate market differences.

This real estate boom vs the last one are different -- the last one was driven by speculators who had access to 100% or even 103% financing no matter their credit scores. People were treating home buying like a stock market -- buy today, sell tomorrow. More buyers today are actually looking for homes to occupy, either full time or as winter homes. There are many more cash buyers now and those putting down 5 - 20% on financing, plus lenders are paying much closer attention to the buyers financials. No one wants a repeat of 2008 - 2010.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:57 PM

Except those who made out like bandits with blood in the streets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area