U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 01:00 PM

2,428 posts, read 4,103,273 times

Advertisements

(Long post)

I live near Boston, and like any place near a major airport, it seems almost impossible to not endure airplane noise, whether takeoffs or landings.

Thinking of eventually relocating to the Sarasota or Bradenton area, so figured I'd post this topic.

I realize some or most people don't seem to have issues with takeoffs or landings in their neighborhood, or claim they don't notice or just get used to it.

Even if 10-15 miles from the airport here near Boston, I notice planes on a regular flightpath. My nerves get rattled and I get anxious when the winds cause planes over my area. Most flightpaths have takeoffs or landings every two minutes or less, depending on the wind. It could last only minutes or a few hours before the winds change or could last a day or two or more. From 5 am to after midnight. Not every two minutes constantly, as there are occasional lulls, but rather constant.

Obviously the Sarasota airport isn't as busy as Tampa or other major cities. Just wondering if downtown Sarasota has frequent plane, or any, jet noise from a flightpath, or maybe Bradenton or other communities are worse? Will I sit on a beach and be subject to jet noise?

I'm not worried about helicopters or gliders or even a private airport, as they're more random and less frequent; it's just the jets.

I've been this way since 1989 at age 29. Yes, I have OCD and sought treatment and medication long ago for this airplane noise issue but gave up after not too long. I try to just deal with it, as it's not every day as a noisy highway or subway would be. As I said, sometimes the winds are different for a day or two or more, and I get relief. Plus, I leave my a/c fan on and use a radio or tv to block the noise.

Yes, I realize most wouldn't sympathize with me, but my flightpath gets the most complaints near Boston, so some are also annoyed; there's even a #saveourskies campaign. I saw their decals slapped on area lightpoles a few years ago. There's even occasional newspaper stories and updates on their meetings about their complaints.

So, Sarasota, can I expect relatively little plane noise in your area due to a small airport?

Anybody else here have issues with plane noise also?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 02:01 PM

4,835 posts, read 13,019,888 times
SRQ Airport is located right between Sarasota and Manatee county border & I've lived off Sarasota Bay right in the flight plane path & it never bothered me. It did bother me on 911 when all was quite & it was eerie not hearing the planes. Anyone else?

Old 02-18-2021, 09:33 PM

15,970 posts, read 33,785,440 times
We lived for12 years in a home that is practically across the street from SRQ. The flight path for landings was almost directly over our house. That said, there are noise abatement protocols in place, we have double acoustic windows and frankly they were past in just a few seconds. Some days there were almost no planes, other days seemed rather busy. It really hardly bothered us at all. I think if you live further away it would be almost a non-issue. I would rather live with airport noise rather than a neighbor with a constantly barking dog, for example.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:53 PM

5,051 posts, read 6,813,839 times
I'm in West Bradenton and on the flight path to SRQ, about 11 miles from me. So in an afternoon in season, there can be jets going by every five minutes or so. They're close enough that you can sometimes make out the logo on the tail at night. One just went by, Southwest from Baltimore, they're about 1800 feet and descending when they go by me. I can definitely hear the noise but it never bothers me. In fact, I enjoy checking on my FlightAware app to see where they're coming from, and thinking of how happy all those Northerners will be when they get off the plane into 70 or 80 degrees.

Now, you may feel differently if you already have an issue with the noise, even ten miles out from the airport.

ETA: I have old single-pane windows.

Last edited by Avalon08; 02-18-2021 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 02-24-2021, 10:38 AM

14 posts, read 2,366 times
There is far more noise generated by Sarasota Sheriff's Dept, and Manatee County Sheriff's Dept helicopters all times of day and NIGHT.

That said, there is quite a bit of noise generated by small aircraft such as propeller 4 seaters, and a TON of private jets all times of day, Cessna IIs, Lears, Hawker HP's, Canadair's, Mitsui, Embraer's, and now even mid to large Gulfstreams

If people can't hear them, they must be deaf or upwind....and the private jets are worse now than 5-10 years ago.

If you think SRQ is bad, don't do down to Naples and FT Myers. It's getting a bit nutty, but a lot of people are oblivious to the noise, or simply become immune.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

2,428 posts, read 4,103,273 times
Thanks, everyone!

It seems that for most of you here, jet noise is of little concern if most everything else about your residence and community is ideal.

Old Today, 07:59 AM

8 posts, read 121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Thanks, everyone!

It seems that for most of you here, jet noise is of little concern if most everything else about your residence and community is ideal.
ideal? don't know who or why anyone would claim that, but there are much worse places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area