U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 759 times

Advertisements

It is finally almost time for me to move to Venice. I bought the house in October, but had to wait for my daughter to graduate from high school before I can move permanently. But now we are close enough to that time, so I can start dreaming of the move and more importantly- planning. It may sound funny to some but my main concern regarding the move is palmetto bugs What can I say - I love hot and humid and I think I am having a girly crash on DeSantis On the other hand - I saw one of those creatures crawling in my garage the last time I was visiting and it almost gave me a heart attack. I am pretty sure I have a phobia. So I am planning to declare nuclear war on them. I am going to come over for a couple of weeks in the beginning of May and I want to hire a pest control company then, so by the time I move permanently in July, they had a couple of treatments done already and hopefully I am spared the horror of another encounter. So do you have a good experience with professional, reliable pest control company that you can recommend? I would appreciate that. Also, any other suggestions that will help? I know that the creatures love mulch, so I am also planning to replace mulch that I have on my yard with nonorganic one. Anything else I should consider?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:54 PM

1,008 posts, read 333,518 times
I heard all the horror stories about bugs and reptiles before we moved here almost a year ago. We own a house on Venice island and I've only seen one palmetto bug in the entire time we've been here and it was outside on our patio. We do have pest control - one for insect control in and around the house and another service for landscaping. We've only had the exterminator inside once before we moved in and our house has been bug free except for a couple of tiny spiders a few times. Now mosquitos are a whole other problem! Yikes - those things love me but they completely leave my husband alone.

We have some little lizards outside around the pool and we leave them alone. I believe they eat bugs so they're alright in my book and I also think they're very cute. Welcome to Florida!

Old Today, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 759 times
Thank you, this is wonderful to know! I am so tired of people telling me “everyone in Florida has palmetto bugs, this is normal” I want to believe that with the due diligence and good pest control service I am going to be an exception to the rule, just as you are

Old Today, 09:17 PM

1,008 posts, read 333,518 times
I've spoken to neighbors about their bug situation and it's the same as mine - practically non-existent. The mosquitos seem to have cycles, at least on the island. In the summer they are out in the early morning and early evening - dawn and dusk. They're pretty tame during the daytime hours. During this past winter I've seen very few even at dawn and dusk and the mosquitos that I have seen are small. I lived in the southwest before morning here and those mosquitos were huge!

If you're moving here from an area where you didn't do preventative heart worm care you must do that here. Your vet will get you up to speed on that. Enjoy the adventures you'll have in this gorgeous state! Best of luck and feel free to DM me if you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area