U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 07:43 AM

27 posts, read 20,319 times

Advertisements

Please advice The Esplanade at Palmer Ranch or Lakewood Ranch????????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 08:43 AM

63 posts, read 134,590 times
Great timing! I am looking at these two and West of Trails in general for single family home. I would strongly prefer new or newer construction. I have not visited PR or LR yet but heard good things. Personally, PR seems like a better location for me but older homes?

Old 02-22-2021, 10:11 AM

210 posts, read 101,601 times
This was just posted on my community page. I thought it was kind of relevant to your question so sharing. Not a direct comparison as you asked, but some interesting info.

Again, this is not my post, just sharing from another source.

We should all be grateful to be living in LWN. A girlfriend just toured LWR. Of course, not much available for re-sale. Waiting lists for lots to be released. They like Esplanade, but nothing there, and Azario is on hold for for building, and their pool won't be built for four years or more. Glad our clubhouse is underway. I suppose this is somewhat good, as it will slow things down and allow the county to improve/widen roads, build schools, fire stations, etc. beforehand. It is a little crazy out here.

Last edited by joshan; 02-22-2021 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-22-2021, 05:12 PM

3,745 posts, read 5,482,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
Great timing! I am looking at these two and West of Trails in general for single family home. I would strongly prefer new or newer construction. I have not visited PR or LR yet but heard good things. Personally, PR seems like a better location for me but older homes?
Actually both Palmer Ranch and Lakewood Ranch have homes built from the 1990's to current. Other than that, the 2 master planned communities are very different, with LWR offering retail & commercial along with the residential and Palmer Ranch sticking mainly to residential.

The pros to those 90's built homes in Palmer Ranch are lot sizes, which tend to be wider than those of new construction. Also mature landscaping and trees. On the cons side, many of the older built communities will not have the same level of amenities that new or newer builds offer. There's also the issue in some of the 90's built subdivisions of pin hole leaks in the plumbing, so if you go that route pay careful attention to whether a home has been repiped or not.

Many of the new construction communities in Palmer Ranch do not have CDD fees, all of Lakewood Ranch will have these fees which can vary greatly from community to community. On any new or newer construction, always ask about CDD (Community Development District) fees because the bond portion is going to show up on your property tax bill for up to 30 years.

As to traffic, Lakewood Ranch does have considerable congestion at I-75 & University, I-75 and SR70 during morning and evening rush hour times. However, if you've been caught on Honore Ave in Palmer Ranch around 5 pm you are aware that all the new construction is contributing to traffic congestion there as well. There has been major road construction of the interchanges at the 2 LWR access points in order to have better traffic flow. At some point in time south Honore will have to undergo changes as well.

West of Trail is an entirely different topic. The definition of "West of Trail" neighborhoods has expanded over the years, they are now considered to run from just north of the Ringling Museum all the way south to Nokomis / Osprey. The diversity in age of homes, style of homes, prices of homes is huge. Looking at West of Trail neighborhoods, buyers should also be aware of things such as hurricane evacuation zones, flood zones, wind zones. The wind zones can and do impact your insurance costs, especially for older homes.

It would definitely be worth taking the time to come to Sarasota and visit both master planned communities before making any decisions about neighborhoods, what you find on the internet and seeing them first hand are two totally different things. I can't tell you how many times buyers have told me they have narrowed down their search to a, b & c communities but once they get here they end up buying in neighborhood z instead, something that hadn't even been on their radar before their visit.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:55 AM

12,021 posts, read 3,756,011 times
I agree with Sunshine. I was so sure we'd be buying in Palmer Ranch ("PR"), I even rented a Villa there for 6 months so we could be in PR, to base our search.

Several months later, we were 1 day away from buying a $700k home in Esplanade at PR, when we drove 25 minutes further South, & bought there instead in just 1 day.

At that time PR's Eslpanade's larger homes were selling at $242/sq ft, & we found a 3,000 sqft home for $192/sq ft near Wellen Park, & saved ~$150k..better lot too!

After being here, & seeing it all, we decided to give up the convenience of PR's superior location to save $150k. We're out in the boondocks down by Wellen Park, but there's new retail opening up daily, so we'll just have to deal with it for a while.

We looked "West of the Trail" at a 2 year old buildover that was on a "Flower Street", & at the open house, a homeless man walked in, and started eating and drinking the food and beverages the Agent put out, and talking jibberish! Nix that idea.

I lived in Lakewood Ranch 25 years ago when it was mostly cow pasture. I needed close to I-75 since I worked in East Tampa. LR was too far to the beach...45 minutes back then. I got transferred, so my employer bailed me out of that mistake, after just 2 years.

22 years later, I returned to this area, & couldn't believe what Lakewood Ranch had become.

We looked at Esplanade in Lakewood Ranch, and the Lake Club, but decided living in a golf course community wasn't for us. I quit golf years ago, & when golf courses go under, it leaves the homeowners with the financial wreckage. It was still 45+ minutes to the beach (duh), & no matter how nice LR looked, we nixed it...not making the same mistake twice, no matter how nice it looked.

Esplanade in Lakewood Ranch has a golf course, but Esplanade in Palmer Ranch does not, so we bounced to the Palmer Ranch property instead, due to no golf course risk, and much closer to the beach. The amenties had not been built yet, & wouldnt be until it was 60% sold out, yet they HOA included them as if they were already there...nah....pass on that.

Seeing everything, gathering more information, & taking our time with the thought process by renting here first, worked best for us. I got a 6 month lease in Palmer Ranch, with the option to extend month to month. That option allowed us to remain in the rental while our new home was being built near Wellen Park....which took just 5 months back then. We wound up staying in that rental for 11 months, so that month-to-month option was a life saver.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 154 times
Default Yikes

I've never considered the golf course in Esplanade LWR could go under. How often does this happen down there?

Old 04-13-2021, 04:55 PM

12,021 posts, read 3,756,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofgeek View Post
I've never considered the golf course in Esplanade LWR could go under. How often does this happen down there?
There are various versions of "going under". Here are some versions I know of that you may be able to find more info on:

Plantation Golf and CC in Venice. Owner sold out to new owner who would not recognize existing membership holders rights, and tried to re-sell memberships to them when they had already paid the 1st owner for their memberships. I don't know how it was reolved in the courts. Besides this issue, it's a beautiful community that residents love. I do not think golf membership is compusory, so many escaped.

University Park Golf & CC in Manatee Countee, Neal community. The residents thought they owned the golf course only to find out they developer still owned it, then he (Neal) tried to sell it back to them! There was a valuaton war, and it was settled, but a lot of homeowner buttache there for sure.

Boca Teeca in Boca Raton FL, simply went under several years ago. It's been in the courts for 5+ years while the weeds once grew 5+ feet high ruining homowners once lovely views of a manicured country club.
My friend walks by it daily, and cannot belive how long the dispute has dragged out in the courts.

Boca West - The golf courses began to collapse financially, so they key jacking rates until they were so high, they stopped homeowners from being able to sell their property's. Condo's that once sold for $150K+ were selling for $7k! It wa like trying to sell a timeshare.

More recently, and around here, The Oaks has had lots of condo's that have plummeted in value due to golf course rising fees. You'll see condo's that once sold for $800k selling later for $450k. The single family homes there fared much better, and it has bounced back quite well now with the White hot market.
Look at the property history's to see how much money many of the condo owners lost.

My father is a retired PGA pro. He sees data about the decline of golf in America that would stop me from ever buying in any golf course community ever again. I used to own one in the Atlanta suburbs, and the golf course was owned by a huge golf conglomerate called Clubcorp. Google it and read about their collapse. Property values fell because most thought the golf course was going under. It never did, but the rumors alone cost me $25k. I learned my lesson, and to this day, I alert potential buyers of the dangers.

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

210 posts, read 101,601 times
I don't think you have much worries at LWR Esplanade about that.

Old Today, 03:21 AM

197 posts, read 100,114 times
Saw a non golf deeded listing on web in Esplanade LR about a week ago..Texted agent about 8am, saw the listing at 530am, just hit realtor.com.. Listing agent was reached by my agent at 9.. was already pending. We believe that listing agent already had a buyer before it hit market, listing was a formality.
Beautiful community, very well manicured, be careful about golf deeded homes and non golf. Golf deeded will be about $375 a month more for HOA versus non golf deeded. Husband plays golf, but don’t want a golf deeded home for resale purposes.. not everyone plays golf and wants to pay approximately $375 more a month on addition to regular HOA whether or not you play 1 day of golf a month or play 5 times a week. Know that EvERY time you play golf, you are paying a cart fee of about $27 on top off the $375!

Old Today, 06:55 AM

43 posts, read 14,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshan View Post
I don't think you have much worries at LWR Esplanade about that.
People used to say that about Oak Ford too...maybe you haven't been here long enough to know about the absolute struggle of golf communities in the past. Even The Meadows had issues.

You couldn't get me in ANY golf course community - ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area