U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 PM
 
21 posts, read 25,803 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

We are snowbirds from the western Chicago Suburbs who currently have a winter home in a Divosta Community in Vero Beach.

Prior to buying we rented for one month in season in Naples, Venice and Indialantic( near family) and just happened upon Vero while in Indialantic. We ruled out Naples, too costly(for us) and way too crowded in season. We liked both Venice and Vero, but ultimately decided on Vero, primarily because Divosta had just started this community. We are happy with our Divosta home, and appreciate the way all the properties are meticulously maintained.

We weren't sure if we would like the snowbird thing (we do) and now after 5 years we are thinking of upgrading. Since all of our northern friends have bought 2nd homes on the west coast.. we are considering a move to the other side It seems as though most Midwesterners still go to the FL west coast, and based on our community those from NY, NJ head to the east coast~

What we love about Vero is, we are 5 minutes to the Publix, 10 to the beach, and awesome beachside shops and restaurants, 10 minutes from downtown Vero, and more restaurants. And less than 10 minutes from all other shopping.. Target, Home Depot.. etc.

The only (minor) downside is we are 90 min from a major airport, but I think that is also an upside making the area a little quieter. Looks like Englewood is about an hour from Ft Myers Airport and 45 min from Sarasota.

It has been over 6 years since we stayed in Venice. I am assuming not too much has changed??? I don't remember the Englewood area as we travelled mainly north to Sarasota.

The website says the area is 5 min to the beach. What else can you share about the area? How close to grocery stores , shopping, restaurants? I just wouldn't want to be out in the boonies. We are going to take a ride over soon but gathering info first.

Am not sure if this would be a good move or not? Stick with what we know? Or try something new?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2021, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Venice, FL
11,928 posts, read 3,671,802 times
Reputation: 7752
We strongly considerd Vero Beach's barrier island 32963 zip code. We were going to build in River Club, or buy on older home in Marbrisa. Marbrisa's beach front clubhouse was amazing.

At the time, my Dad lived in Vero mainland 10 minutes North of downtwon Vero, probably in the DiVosta community you mentioned.

I rented for a month directly across the street from Jaycee Park to base my homesearch from, back before the City of VB nixed short term rentals.

I'm very familiar with the Vero area. The Briteline trains and elecric power utility wars scared us off.

Anyways, Vero is nicer looking than Englewood overall. Englewood has pockets of decent looking communities, but it looks more like Sebastian, just North of Vero. Englewood appeals to boaters because you can have your boat in a canal behind your home w/o spending $1M+ like Sarasota. Beachwalk will be very close to the beach, so you'd have that going for you. However, right next door is a boat storage facility! That is what I mean about Englewood...not much zoning exists to give it an overall classy consistent feel.

In the future, Englewood will improve because the property values will be increasing, and it will push some of the eyesores out. You can get in early now at an affordable rate, if you don't mind looking past some of it.

I would not buy in Beachwalk w/o seeing the area first. I'm sure Beachwalk will be nice, but you need to see the area firsthand before, pulling the trigger. Check out the flood zone designation for Beachwalk too before committing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2021, 08:30 AM
 
21 posts, read 25,803 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I would not buy in Beachwalk w/o seeing the area first. I'm sure Beachwalk will be nice, but you need to see the area firsthand before, pulling the trigger. Check out the flood zone designation for Beachwalk too before committing.
We most certainly wouldn't buy anything without driving around and spending some time in the area! It has been 5-6 years since we stayed in Venice. We are planning a trip soon to check out everywhere from Sarasota to south of Venice area.

Since we are thinking of upgrading , we want to check out all our options. We do like the middle of the state, east and west. We might end up staying in our same community. Being part timers we like living in a gated HOA, and love the way they keep our properties, but we are not a part of a master planned community.

It seems like on the west coast so many of newer developments are parts of MPC's. I have been reading a lot about MPC's pro's and cons. It seems like so many are a long ways from any cute town. I love downtown Vero , beachside and the old downtown, with all the local restaurants and shops . I also loved Downtown Venice.

It looks like Beachwalk won't be a part of any MPC, unless it might be attached to West Villages/Wellen?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Venice, FL
11,928 posts, read 3,671,802 times
Reputation: 7752
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciab10 View Post
We most certainly wouldn't buy anything without driving around and spending some time in the area! It has been 5-6 years since we stayed in Venice. We are planning a trip soon to check out everywhere from Sarasota to south of Venice area.

Since we are thinking of upgrading , we want to check out all our options. We do like the middle of the state, east and west. We might end up staying in our same community. Being part timers we like living in a gated HOA, and love the way they keep our properties, but we are not a part of a master planned community.

It seems like on the west coast so many of newer developments are parts of MPC's. I have been reading a lot about MPC's pro's and cons. It seems like so many are a long ways from any cute town. I love downtown Vero , beachside and the old downtown, with all the local restaurants and shops . I also loved Downtown Venice.

It looks like Beachwalk won't be a part of any MPC, unless it might be attached to West Villages/Wellen?
Lots of buyers buy w/o ever seeing the home or the area, which is why I cautioned you. My friends Son and his wife just bought a new $800k Mattamy home in Palmer Ranch sight unseen, but they knew Palmer Ranch was all nice, so they took a flyer on it.

I don't think Beachwalk will be part of any MPC. If I were looking there, I'd ask if there will be a traffic light at the entrance. It could be tough to make a left hand turn coming out of there onto 776. Cars are moving fast along that stretch. I think the speed limit is 45, so expect some to be driving 55 mph.

I'd also buy a lot far away from the boat/rv storage lot next door in case they don't build a wall, or high enough burm to hide it from view. Buy an interior lot since you dont know what will go outside the perimeter of the property...which has a very oddball shape to it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2021, 03:36 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,916,688 times
Reputation: 2117
If you like Divosta, did you look at Island Walk? It is a Devosta community. I think they are still building but may be close to built out. The comments above are true, do look closely especially going in and out on 776. There is a lot of speeding on that road. But, yes, you will be close to the beach and other shopping although the same thing could be said for Island Walk. There has been a LOT of changes in the last five years. Publix is open almost beside Island Walk in the middle of West Villages, which is being rebranded as Wellen. Definitely come and look around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2021, 05:46 PM
 
Location: VA
3 posts, read 1,529 times
Reputation: 12
We were looking seriously at Beach walk but not happy with the price point. Its being marketed a bit below Naples price but over the Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch/Palmer Ranch prices. For $500K I want more than what they're offering. Its going to be several years of construction noise and debris with no amenities. As a heads up, Beach walk will have lot premiums and a minimum $480 food fee for the restaurant being built on site, sort of like a country club. We have checked historic maps and see that center rectangle pond has been there awhile, so I wonder what it was for? True no CDD, but there is going to be a 10,000 home development called Winchester Ranch just south and east of Beach walk. We were also concerned about possible house rentals in beach walk and don't want to live in an endless party zone. Hopefully the HOA won't allow it but not sure. We decided to look at Lakewood Ranch area instead because its more established and has the downtown feel we want. Island Walk is beautiful but is almost built out, and have CDD, HOA and development fees for the West Villages Improvement District, which is now rebranded Wellen Park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2021, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Venice, FL
11,928 posts, read 3,671,802 times
Reputation: 7752
Quote:
Originally Posted by charais2 View Post
We were looking seriously at Beach walk but not happy with the price point. Its being marketed a bit below Naples price but over the Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch/Palmer Ranch prices. For $500K I want more than what they're offering. Its going to be several years of construction noise and debris with no amenities. As a heads up, Beach walk will have lot premiums and a minimum $480 food fee for the restaurant being built on site, sort of like a country club. We have checked historic maps and see that center rectangle pond has been there awhile, so I wonder what it was for? True no CDD, but there is going to be a 10,000 home development called Winchester Ranch just south and east of Beach walk. We were also concerned about possible house rentals in beach walk and don't want to live in an endless party zone. Hopefully the HOA won't allow it but not sure. We decided to look at Lakewood Ranch area instead because its more established and has the downtown feel we want. Island Walk is beautiful but is almost built out, and have CDD, HOA and development fees for the West Villages Improvement District, which is now rebranded Wellen Park.
Is the $480 restaurant minimum annually? quarterly? It can't be monthly...can it?

The high price for Beach Walk is due to proximity to the beach. Land costs more, the closer you get to the beach. When builders buy costly land, they like to build costly homes on it to maximize their profits.

I had a very similar feeling about wanting more for my money when we were about to buy in Palmer Ranch. We wound up buying 4 miles further from the beach, and getting to a ppsqft we felt more comfortable with. Giving up beach proximity saved us $170,000, which was worth it for us, but I do feel we're a bit remote, so there was a tradeoff made to save the cash.

I agree with your rental concerns. We would only buy in a HOA that had 6 month minimums. Any less than that, and problems are more likely.

I also agree with your wanting to avoid the West Villages Improvement District fees. That scared us out of that zone.

Living near a master planned community, but not in one, is a smart play. You get to be near a nice looking established area, w/o having to pay the added costs for it. Look at the communities that adjoin Lakewood Ranch first, to see if there are any you like. If none suit you, then go inside Lakewood Ranch proper. That strategy worked well for us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2021, 04:22 PM
 
Location: VA
3 posts, read 1,529 times
Reputation: 12
Oh sorry-yes $480 per year. But of course there's no restaurant even there yet, so they give you like a $37 credit until its finished. Pulte/Divosta require 20% down for a purchase but they're also rather secretive about what the price will be, which makes planning all this stuff even more difficult. We're going down in April to put eyes on all the Pulte developments as they have a floor plan we think will be perfect. But its pushing $500K, $235 per sq ft ish, in LWR so I need to see the value. Of course, there are SO MANY developments that I need to just relax and know we will get a house and it will all be fine!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2021, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Venice, FL
11,928 posts, read 3,671,802 times
Reputation: 7752
Quote:
Originally Posted by charais2 View Post
Oh sorry-yes $480 per year. But of course there's no restaurant even there yet, so they give you like a $37 credit until its finished. Pulte/Divosta require 20% down for a purchase but they're also rather secretive about what the price will be, which makes planning all this stuff even more difficult. We're going down in April to put eyes on all the Pulte developments as they have a floor plan we think will be perfect. But its pushing $500K, $235 per sq ft ish, in LWR so I need to see the value. Of course, there are SO MANY developments that I need to just relax and know we will get a house and it will all be fine!
We had a similar issue with Esplanade at Palmer Ranch. They had no ameneties even started yet, would not start building them until they reached 60% sold, but they wanted us to pay the full HOA fees from day 1. No thanks...good bye.

You'll find the right place. I'd be prepared to rent, while you search, and build your new home. It buys you time, and reduces stress.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:15 AM
 
Location: VA
3 posts, read 1,529 times
Reputation: 12
We watched the virtual grand opening of BeachWalk and I was actually very surprised (not in a good way) of how they are releasing the lots. Only 15 lots were opened and they wanted potentials to BID on the lot they wanted, with suggested minimums. One was $98K!!! For the lot!!! The lowest was $15K which from what I've seen is pretty normal, but to get into a potential bidding war over the lot seemed a bit much. We're coming down at the end of April to put eyes on several areas but I'm not sure we're going to build with the big builders in the big subdivisions . Paying $500K+ for a build and only getting 80% of what we want doesn't seem like a good value. We're considering a custom build and maybe look further east if we can get what we want for the price. Or maybe go further south to Rotonda and talk with Mr Sunshine about a build....fingers crossed we'll have a much better view of what we want to do after we visit again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top