U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 08:12 AM

23 posts, read 4,315 times

Advertisements

Keep reaching? gee, I'm not trying to argue with you or anyone else. I'm a long time boater FROM Florida.

Vehicles (cars) can be "registered" and "tagged" in other states (and are, all the time), trucked down to a FL parking lot, unloaded and left in a condo's parking lot or in their garage for a very long time,for each season. That happens all the time too, even by foreigners e.g. Canadians mostly from Toronto Canada.

Names on the backs of boats with "locations" are/can be totally misleading, viz USCG documentation, you can choose any hailing port you wish..... and irrelevant. FL "registration" is required if operating over 90 days. In FL it is required you to state register your boat even if it is also documented. It's a little complicated, e.g. There are also many states that do not require a documented boat to get state registration, and may not even allow it. On the U.S. East Coast these states include Maine, Massachusetts, North Carolina, and South Carolina. USCG Documented boats based in one of these states will not have the bow numbers or bow stickers that indicate a state-registered vessel.

Being registered and/or documented are different things.

Registration "stickers" allegedly seen on large cruisers may have little to no relevancy to domicile, registrant, USCG documentation, or timing of permitting.

It's complicated, or can be. I don't know WHAT you have seen and don't care. Sometimes police and USCG don't know what they see until they see it, in re legal paperwork.

AGAIN, I'm not interested in arguing or going back and forth, but a vessel, federally documented or not, that is not covered by a registration from another state or by the USCG in a state without a federally approved numbering system, is not provided that 90-day reciprocity time and would need to register with DHSMV.

Seeing cruisers docked at a marina also is not proof that the owner piloted it himself from "up nawth" to SWFL....every darn "season". There is no way you, yourself would know that, neither would I know that. Seeing cars with NY or Canadian registration plates parked in a Home Depot parking lot in SWFL also does not speak to where the "owners" are domiciled or how they arrived to SWFL, or when, or when they depart. Vessels are no different in this regard, but certainly a bit more complicated based on some kind of visual, cursory inspection.

Last edited by WW Whetstone; 03-01-2021 at 09:12 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

11,804 posts, read 3,560,280 times
I saw on the local news that Siesta Key Beach parking lots were full by 8:30 a.m.. this past weekend.

That is a pretty good indicator that our season is in full swing.

~4.5 more weeks to go until it starts to thin out.

Lots of snowbirds like to spend Easter with family up North, so the exodus should kick off April 2nd since Easter is April 4th.

By Monday April 5th, I think we'll notice some thining out.

Old Today, 05:19 PM

130 posts, read 134,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Whetstone View Post
I don't know any sane boater that would pilot a 35 - 40 ft cruiser from New Jersey, or Delaware in October, heading south Atlantic, around the tip of southern Florida (or canals) to enter northbound on the Gulf of Mexico to stay at a marina anywhere in SW FL, for the darn "season", then pilot it BACK to New Jersey or Delaware.

If a marina is telling anybody that, they're lying. People may trailer their smaller boats down over the road, but most LEAVE their boats here in FL and simply drive or fly back and forth.

Again, no sane boater would do that each "season".

People may not do it every season, there are many that do bring their boats from the Northeast (or Mid Atlantic) for the winter.

Typically, most of the trip is not in the South Atlantic, but is in the ICW for most of the journey. (Many bypass the shallow section in GA by heading into the Atlantic).

Once in Florida, some stay on the east coast, and some come to SW Florida via the lake and canal or around the Keys.

I have a family member who did this from Long Island, NY to Fort Myers (and back) for one season and know of several others who have made a trip as well. My wife and I plan to do it from Virginia as well after we are retired.

Any of the popular boating message boards will describe some of these trips. To your point, I don't have statistics on how many make repeat trips, but many do it at least once (or as part of their Great Loop trip).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area