Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:54 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times

Advertisements

I think we've reached the peak. The number of cars I see with out-of-state tags has reached about 1/4th of all cars on the roads, and in retail parking lots.

I'm also seeing a lot of Florida tags from the East coast of Florida....home shoppers?

The overall traffic volume, number of shoppers/diners is as high as I've seen it in the past 4 years in Southern Sarasota County.

I'm not seeing any Canadian tags, due to their government restricting travel.

The parking spaces at the Venice Jetty, at the Venice beaches, & in Downtown Venice are quite full on nice days, by Noon.

What are you seeing in North Port, Bradenton, and Sarasota?

Will it subside just after Easter (April 4th) as usual? If so, we have 5 & 1/2 weeks left.

Will we get Spring Breakers this year too?

I like the money they spend here, but I'll also be ready to get things back to normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 05:51 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
This is our first season on Venice island and to me, it doesn't seem all that bad. We're just coming up on our first full year of living here. Neighbors who have lived here for many years have said that while there are fewer visitors than most years, downtown Venice is still really busy. Relatives of ours who are looking to rent on the island were met with "No Availability" at most places.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:49 AM

562 posts, read 550,060 times
When I came here in December 2019 and bought the house I am in now, it took me about 90 minutes to get onto Siesta Key and I never found a parking spot.

I went to Siesta Key last weekend and there was zero backup to get onto the island and I parked in the main parking lot at Siesta Village.

I am fairly new and that is a small comparison, but to me it seems way less.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:29 AM

747 posts, read 847,141 times
We are still down IMO. You are correct, the Canadians are not here, a lot of Midwesterners are not here. My parents are snowbirds and many of their friends in the park did not come down this year.
My business thrives during "Season" and we are still down 25% approx per month even during season. Last April when things got real bad, we were down almost 55% so I will take 25% all day long but its really tough keeping everyone happy.

Also, since I moved here in 2015, my commute home at night during season was much worse and probable 15-20 minutes longer than now.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:34 AM

36 posts, read 42,746 times
around here for anybody who is from the area knows that the spike seen in previous years has been flattening since around 2000

the population is far more permanent/stable , much less Europeans, even Canadians as well

SRQ/MAN of course has never been a tourist destination, not really

Old 02-24-2021, 08:47 AM

4,613 posts, read 7,532,666 times
Not a tourist destination?

On average years, Sarasota county hosts about 2.5 million visitors who spend more than $1.35 billion in direct expenditures, with a total economic impact of about $2.24 billion per year.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 AM

36 posts, read 42,746 times
The misleading data is omnipresent. Sarasota-Manatee is not Orlando, a true "tourist destination". Succinctly, all "visitors" are not tourists, but all tourists are in fact visitors by definition. Over the decades, part time residents were counted as tourists. A totally misleading calculation. As a real estate sales person you might know that. The Northport-Sarasota-Bradenton MSA's dna is not built on the same tourist dna of a true "tourist city" such as Orlando or even Miami. The NSB MSA isn't known for "tourist attractions" when compared to ORL (notwithstanding beaches). Again seasonal RESIDENTS had been counted as "visitors" and some consider them "tourists", which is patently false.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:07 AM

562 posts, read 550,060 times
welcome back with your new account CVP/Shecky/1000 others

Old 02-24-2021, 05:57 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
^ Mom's Garage, new nom de plume...

Old 02-25-2021, 05:49 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Not a tourist destination?

On average years, Sarasota county hosts about 2.5 million visitors who spend more than $1.35 billion in direct expenditures, with a total economic impact of about $2.24 billion per year.
Sunshine, do they release this data monthly, and current year versus prior year?

I'm wondering if Jan & Feb 2021 has more tourist Dollars spent versus 2020, I'm thinking 2021 is way higher than 2020 through the first 2 months. The season also started much sooner this year.

Has anyone seen the parking lot at Detwilers in Venice lately? OMG, its so busy they had to install a traffic light out front along 41.

Has anyone seen the parking lot at Aldi in Nokomis? I can wait for the Aldi in Venice to open.

These 2 stores are so overcrowded, I won't even pull into their parking lots anymore. I've been relegated to WalMart at off times.

How are the downtown SRQ hotels doing? How about out on Lido Key? Longboat? What does Anna Maria look like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area