U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2021, 10:00 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,061 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I am trying to gather information for this issue. A neighbor that lives on 2nd floor of 2 story - 6 unit building has had palm rats getting into her unit for a year. HOA board and maintenance say the only thing they can do is keep trapping them. They did cover a hole in attic space a few months ago but the rats keep coming back. A member of the board said 'don't let them bother you'. I know I could not live in the unit if I had rats.
I am wondering if anyone has dealt with something similar? Is there a way to get the HOA to do more? I think a professional company should come in to try and determine how they are getting in.
I appreciate any feedback.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2021, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Bradenton/Sarasota FL
610 posts, read 477,666 times
Reputation: 394
Even if the HOA wasnt doing something, my butt would pay a professional to resolve it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2021, 04:18 AM
 
224 posts, read 112,343 times
Reputation: 324
It is our understanding that palm rats are common in FL and they can get in attic from palm trees and are more common if you back to a retention pond or conservation. A professional pest company can seal off the areas with some type of foam. The HOA in my opinion should be investigating since this is a multi dewelling building and the other units could have them also!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2021, 08:56 AM
 
32,771 posts, read 51,646,164 times
Reputation: 18709
I think the person should call the city/county and find out if there is law requiring the COA to take more active measures
They just don’t want to spend the money if it just one condo with the problem
But it is a health issue not one of annoyance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2021, 02:21 PM
 
16,028 posts, read 34,141,054 times
Reputation: 20494
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think the person should call the city/county and find out if there is law requiring the COA to take more active measures
They just don’t want to spend the money if it just one condo with the problem
But it is a health issue not one of annoyance
If one condo has them, it's a matter of time before many more will have them. If not controlled rodents multiply very quickly. Just ask me how I know!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2021, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Gainesville, FL; formerly Weston, FL
1,257 posts, read 1,318,762 times
Reputation: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaryann View Post
I am trying to gather information for this issue. A neighbor that lives on 2nd floor of 2 story - 6 unit building has had palm rats getting into her unit for a year. HOA board and maintenance say the only thing they can do is keep trapping them. They did cover a hole in attic space a few months ago but the rats keep coming back. A member of the board said 'don't let them bother you'. I know I could not live in the unit if I had rats.
I am wondering if anyone has dealt with something similar? Is there a way to get the HOA to do more? I think a professional company should come in to try and determine how they are getting in.
I appreciate any feedback.
By chance are they using Washingtonian Palms as a ladder?

Get the HOA to cut them down & replace with perhaps Royal Palm or Christmas Palms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2021, 10:53 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
5,162 posts, read 6,964,017 times
Reputation: 9604
Some of my neighbors in two-story buildings here have had them. One was in their kitchen cabinets. I would absolutely DIE!!! I know I saw on the Board's agenda that they were going to have the pest control company address this. Keep screaming about it, your neighbors should be demanding it be addressed and not just by trapping the d*mn things!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2021, 11:56 AM
 
197 posts, read 96,095 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Some of my neighbors in two-story buildings here have had them. One was in their kitchen cabinets. I would absolutely DIE!!! I know I saw on the Board's agenda that they were going to have the pest control company address this. Keep screaming about it, your neighbors should be demanding it be addressed and not just by trapping the d*mn things!
Okay, now this is the stuff of nightmares and PTSD. And I thought flying cockroaches were bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2021, 11:14 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
5,162 posts, read 6,964,017 times
Reputation: 9604
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
Okay, now this is the stuff of nightmares and PTSD. And I thought flying cockroaches were bad.
Yes. One of the reasons I've never watched Hoarders. Too afraid I'll see roaches or rats and then I'll start having nightmares, literally. But anyway, thankfully I've never seen a roach here, let alone a flying one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2021, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,838 posts, read 13,100,028 times
Reputation: 2208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaryann View Post
I am trying to gather information for this issue. A neighbor that lives on 2nd floor of 2 story - 6 unit building has had palm rats getting into her unit for a year. HOA board and maintenance say the only thing they can do is keep trapping them. They did cover a hole in attic space a few months ago but the rats keep coming back. A member of the board said 'don't let them bother you'. I know I could not live in the unit if I had rats.
I am wondering if anyone has dealt with something similar? Is there a way to get the HOA to do more? I think a professional company should come in to try and determine how they are getting in.
I appreciate any feedback.
As one who manages condominium and homeowner associations, on Association side, they need to have a professional pest control company take charge, make sure the roof is not an entrance, do smoke test to see if the rodents are coming in from broken stack pipes and review the unit owners unit. Florida was and still is a swamp; people forget that ~ on the owner side, people also don't realize that food should never be left on the counter, clutter should be disposed of ~ I had a unit on one of the key islands where the owner was a hoarder and the termites were living the dream. Bait boxes should be outside of the perimeter of the building as well. Also, there's no such thing as "palm" rats. Rats are rats, many live in palms to escape predators on the ground. Rats are known to jump from the palm onto the roof. They've been known to nest in the attic and drywall. A year is waaaay to long for rat infestation to go on; if they're in her unit, they're most likely in other units.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top