U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 03:06 PM

12,140 posts, read 3,891,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaserP View Post
Rookie question...How often does the red tide come in and does it usually stay long?
Its totally unpredictable. Lately, we've had some level of it every year for the past 3 years. I didnt live here before that for 20 years, so I cant speak to those years.

This year its been mild so far. Last year it wasn't so bad either, but the year before that, we got hammered.

They are trying to fix it, but it takes time and Billions of Dollars. The goal is to stop releasing the tainted high nitrogen level water from lake Okechobee into other bodies of water. The lake's retention walls need to be built up and strengthened, and a series of filtering reservoires need to be used so the water can then be safely released into the Everglades, when water levels are too high to be contained in the lake.

Our Governor pitched in a lot of Florida taxpayers money to start this construction, & the feds were to match it, but I dont know if that ever happened. It was a Washington DC political football during the last administration.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 06:01 AM

59 posts, read 45,906 times
Morning...looking at the Mote report it mentions drift algae and water color (whether or not it is clear and one can see the bottom). Not clear on the difference between drift algae and red tide when viewing the water? What does the water on Lido look like now in person? Anyone checked it out yesterday or today? Thanks in advance.

https://visitbeaches.org/beach/4/report/2146

Old 05-06-2021, 06:55 AM

1,393 posts, read 494,320 times
I'm at Venice Beach nearly every day and I haven't seen or smelled anything unusual. The water is clear and delightfully warm. We spend hours at the beach, either watching the sunset, walking or reading on the beach during the day and neither of us has noticed any irritants.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:18 AM

3,771 posts, read 5,554,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I'm at Venice Beach nearly every day and I haven't seen or smelled anything unusual. The water is clear and delightfully warm. We spend hours at the beach, either watching the sunset, walking or reading on the beach during the day and neither of us has noticed any irritants.
You're giving me beach envy........

Old 05-06-2021, 09:06 AM

1,393 posts, read 494,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
You're giving me beach envy........
Hi Sunshine! Your posts on this thread have been so very helpful. I'm grateful to all the posters who contribute to these forums/threads - even when I don't agree with them ; ) but I always agree with yours!

Old 05-08-2021, 12:57 PM

24 posts, read 15,915 times
I was down in Osprey near the intercoastal today and noticed a distinct sewage odor that would not subside---is this due to the red tide? Very fowl smelling Not sure if I want to venture into the Gulf when it warms up in a couple of weeks

Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,800,160 times
SW FL always has more red tide clyde.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly23 View Post
I was down in Osprey near the intercoastal today and noticed a distinct sewage odor that would not subside---is this due to the red tide? Very fowl smelling Not sure if I want to venture into the Gulf when it warms up in a couple of weeks
Not according to the Red Tide reports. I know we have some Red Drift algae around right now, & that can smell if it's thick enough, and isn't removed from the beach.

Or it was a sewage spill. Cities, Counties, & the media can be slow at reporting spills unless it presents an immediate threat to public health.

Old Today, 12:29 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,295,725 times
I live in Punta Gorda. The harbor is a couple miles from me and I don't smell anything. However the last week my nose has been more runny and coughing.

Old Today, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I live in Punta Gorda. The harbor is a couple miles from me and I don't smell anything. However the last week my nose has been more runny and coughing.
Punta Gorda is not in this forum area, but it does have some Red Tide...

https://myfwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/V...ec711d16462a72
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area