U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 09:41 AM

3,446 posts, read 1,619,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
The state has let these holding ponds get away with murder for years. They all need to be drained and done away with. They dumped all that crap in the gulf back in 05 and we had the worst red tide we saw in years clyde.
Yup. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if they let all the toxic water out, sealed the leak and start to refill the holding ponds again. It took years for this to happen - they won't care, as long as it doesn't happen again on their watch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 10:33 AM

12,045 posts, read 3,770,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The corruption goes back to our leaders. That’s been Repugs for a long time now.

Not so fast tinytrump'ster...

In fact, most Florida Governors have been Dums, I mean Dems, since phosphate mining began here in 1881, & sugar cane cultivation began in 1767

Some Dems guilty of ignoring science and polluting Florida:

Mckay, Chiles, Graham, Mixon, Askew, Burns, Bryant, Collins, Johns, McCarty, Warren, Caldwell, Holland, Cone, Shotz, Carlton, Martin, Trammell, Katz, Gilchrist, ect..

MORE Democrats than Republicans have been ignoring science, & polluting Florida by far!

Make my day, go ahead and try to defend ALL of these Florida Democrat polluters:

https://www.floridamemory.com/learn/...des/governors/

Your prior post has been fact checked and deemed...mostly false when we go back "a long time"

Old 04-06-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
The corruption goes back to our leaders. That’s been Repugs for a long time now.

In fact, most Florida Governors have been Dums, I mean Dems, since phosphate mining began in 1881, and sugar cane cultivation began in Florida in 1767...

Mckay, Chiles, Graham, Mixon, Askew, Burns, Bryant, Collins, Johns, McCarty, Warren, Caldwell, Holland, Cone, Shotz, Carlton, Martin, Trammell, Katz, Gilchrist, ect..

MORE Democrats than Republicans have been ignoring science, & polluting Florida by far!

Make my day, go ahead and try to defend ALL of these Florida Democrat polluters:

Your prior post has been fact checked and deemed...mostly false when we go back "a long time"

By the time Scott & DeSantis got into office, the Dems had been polluting Florida for 200+ years.

You could not have been any more inaccurate.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:22 PM

19,311 posts, read 12,623,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
As I write this post, they are dumping it into Tampa Bay!

Will this stop Mosaic from expanding phosphate mining right here in our forum area? No way!

Do you know they are mining phosphate on land adjacent to Lake Manatee, our primary source for fresh water? What could possibly go wrong?

Who apporved that? Did you know they've recently expanded that operation? Who approved that expansion?

Mosaic gives money to the politicians campaign funds that will allow them to pollute our land and water. We mean nothing to the pollution process unless we ALL speak out, and vote encumbants out of office that go along with Mosaic.

I've been writing everybody involved in this for more than a year. I could really use some help y'all.

Write every local, and state politician, write the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, write editorials in the local newspapers demanding Mosaic stop phosphate mining in our area. Mining in the center of the state, far away from population centers is one thing, but they are right in our backyards now! Look at a local map, find Lake Manatee, and look at the next land parcel to the East...that is the expanding Wingate Creek Mosaic Phosphate mine...its even labeled on this map just East of the Lower Manatee Watershed!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...!4d-82.3479016

Write the leader of our local Water Keepers org, and ask him how we can make a difference.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and we are not squeaking loud enough. If you won't fight to protect our drinking water, what will you fight for?
Money makes the world go around like a clown. That is all that counts.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:22 AM

12 posts, read 4,174 times
looks like we might have diverted a big problem? hope so, but it always amazes me the number of people who move here and know absolutely nothing - not only about who ran the state for decades, but don't know really where they live (which county, city, town, unincorporated etc), most don't know anything about simple geographic info about the region, or agriculture or much anything else other than where their local Publix is.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:33 PM

210 posts, read 103,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CLIR View Post
looks like we might have diverted a big problem? hope so, but it always amazes me the number of people who move here and know absolutely nothing - not only about who ran the state for decades, but don't know really where they live (which county, city, town, unincorporated etc), most don't know anything about simple geographic info about the region, or agriculture or much anything else other than where their local Publix is.
Not really unique to this area, just how it is in a high growth area. Couple that with high turnover rate as many moving for Florida are much later in life than say those flocking to Denver.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:22 PM

19,311 posts, read 12,623,244 times
They need to do away with porky pine point and all the gyp stacks jack all over the state.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CLIR View Post
They are "diveting the problem" by dumping it all into Tampa Bay. That is diverting the problem from the land surrounding the site, to polluting Tampa Bay. The results from that diversion is yet to be seen.

We could see algae blooms, fish kills, dead Manatees, dead Dolphin, dead Turtles, ect.. Time will tell.

So far as to who has run the state of Florida most of the time since phosphates were discovered here, well, I've posted that elsewhere, with supporting evidence, so I wont beat a dead Horse here. Let me just say this...the people who have run Florida recently, are not the people who ran it for ~200+ years.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:55 PM

26,559 posts, read 14,993,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

In fact, most Florida Governors have been Dums, I mean Dems, since phosphate mining began here in 1881, & sugar cane cultivation began in 1767

I guess you are much older than I. I am a native - but running around the world with military. But in the past- environment was not the main concern for anyone in any state. Always about the money. So I won’t contradict the Dems being involved from the beginning. HKR holdings , really a shell co. who is Bankrupt is going to walk away unscathed. But after the first mess in 2011 - the DEP and the port authority should have followed up and there was never any legislation. That’s is not the past - which are the initial problem but present day incompetence. Gotta live with today’s issues, not 200 yrs ago.

Last edited by tinytrump; 04-11-2021 at 11:11 PM..

Old 04-12-2021, 04:27 AM

Quote:
I guess you are much older than I. I am a native - but running around the world with military. But in the past- environment was not the main concern for anyone in any state. Always about the money. So I won’t contradict the Dems being involved from the beginning. HKR holdings , really a shell co. who is Bankrupt is going to walk away unscathed. But after the first mess in 2011 - the DEP and the port authority should have followed up and there was never any legislation. That’s is not the past - which are the initial problem but present day incompetence. Gotta live with today’s issues, not 200 yrs ago.
One of today's issues I'm trying not to live with is phosphate mining right next to Lake Manatee; this areas primary source for fresh water. I've written the States "EPA" & expressed my feelings on it. I'm going to write DeSantis too.

I urge you all to write your local politicians, FLA EPA, DeSantis, your U.S. Congressperson, asking them to stop phophate mining at the "Wingate" site next to Lake Manatee. Mosaic is moving their phophate mining operations too close to where people live...and expanding them.

The payola needs to stop. Here's an article from 2017 about it that predicts the Piney Point situation:

https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/new...rida-phosphate

I see this as Florida's #1 threat. ALL phosphate mining must stop here...not just regulated...stopped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area