U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 04:37 AM

19,311 posts, read 12,623,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
One of today's issues I'm trying not to live with is phosphate mining right next to Lake Manatee; this areas primary source for fresh water. I've written the States "EPA" & expressed my feelings on it. I'm going to write DeSantis too.

I urge you all to write your local politicians, FLA EPA, DeSantis, your U.S. Congressperson, asking them to stop phophate mining at the "Wingate" site next to Lake Manatee. Mosaic is moving their phophate mining operations too close to where people live...and expanding them.

The payola needs to stop. Here's an article from 2017 about it that predicts the Piney Point situation:

https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/new...rida-phosphate

I see this as Florida's #1 threat. ALL phosphate mining must stop here...not just regulated...stopped!
Never gonna stop. Too much money honey.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 05:50 PM

26,559 posts, read 14,993,099 times
About 25 stacks now dot the Florida landscape, and every year the waste must be piled up higher. In 2014, Mosaic asked Polk County officials for permission to make one of its Mulberry gyp stacks twice as wide and nearly 400 feet tall—taller than the highest natural point in Florida, which is 345 feet above sea level.

Mosaic. It’s the biggest phosphate company in the world and a major presence in Florida. Mosaic is currently mining phosphate rock on more than 70,000 of the 380,000 acres it owns in Manatee, Hillsborough, Polk and Hardee counties. Meanwhile, despite vocal public opposition, “it recently won local government approval “ to expand its mining in Manatee County by more than 3,000 additional acres just a short drive from Sarasota County’s northern boundary—and from the source of its water supply.

Even with the terrible things that happened with the hurricanes, they just got approval for more. Why. Florida is a sponge. We don’t need to make more holes- toxic ones at that.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:38 PM

12,045 posts, read 3,770,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
About 25 stacks now dot the Florida landscape, and every year the waste must be piled up higher. In 2014, Mosaic asked Polk County officials for permission to make one of its Mulberry gyp stacks twice as wide and nearly 400 feet tall—taller than the highest natural point in Florida, which is 345 feet above sea level.

Mosaic. It’s the biggest phosphate company in the world and a major presence in Florida. Mosaic is currently mining phosphate rock on more than 70,000 of the 380,000 acres it owns in Manatee, Hillsborough, Polk and Hardee counties. Meanwhile, despite vocal public opposition, “it recently won local government approval “ to expand its mining in Manatee County by more than 3,000 additional acres just a short drive from Sarasota County’s northern boundary—and from the source of its water supply.

Even with the terrible things that happened with the hurricanes, they just got approval for more. Why. Florida is a sponge. We don’t need to make more holes- toxic ones at that.

We need to expose the honey pot. Trace the cash from Mosaic to the politicians, and put it all out on public display. No Red or Blue biased either, had them all out there for all to see.

I know Rubio takes huge cash from the Cuban Sugar Brothers.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:16 PM

26,559 posts, read 14,993,099 times
Quote:
We need to expose the honey pot. Trace the cash from Mosaic to the politicians, and put it all out on public display. No Red or Blue biased either, had them all out there for all to see.

Trust me. I wish we could limit those contributions from companies and eliminate our law makers, the lobbyists.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:36 PM

19,311 posts, read 12,623,244 times
Quote:

Mosaic owns the state nate. They can do whatever and pay off peeps.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:51 AM

3,446 posts, read 1,619,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Never gonna stop. Too much money honey.
Can't rep you again.

Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM

The State of Florida is likely re-thinking the entire phosphate mining industry here. In the past, it was allowed to occur too close to the coast and Tampa Bay. That Piney Point site should have never been approved for Mulberry Corp to mine there.

Here's the latest bickering between the current owners of the Piney Point site, and the State of Florida's EPA dept:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...250724529.html

Today, phosphate mining is being allowed adjacent to this forum areas primary water source...Lake Manatee. This same toxic radioactive spill scenario will play out again there, & our drinking water will be forever fouled.

I have seen no word of "Mosaic" who has replaced Mulberry as the #1 phosphate mining company in Florida. Obviously, Mosaic is paying off our politicians to keep them out of the limelight.

Residents here will not take the effort to pressure the State to revoke Mocaic's mining licenses, & Mosaic will continue to pay off all the politicians, so local residents will be the big losers again in the future...just a matter of when Mosaic's Wingate Creek mining operation here in Sarasota County will spill over into Lake Manatee.

Not enough local residents here care, until its too late. Mosaic's Wingate mine should be closed right now...but it won't be.

Has anyone besides me written and called all the Florida politicians who allow this? Its mostly a State issue, so DeSantis's office is a good starting point. He's been more environmentally atuned than any other FLA Governor I've seen. A massive outcry might just encourage him to act on our behalf regarding the Wingate mine.

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

133 posts, read 86,385 times
Saw posts in FB groups about green water coming out of the taps in Copperleaf and Greyhawk Landing areas (as in they were able to fill bathtubs full of green water) so I wonder if more neighborhoods are affected, too.

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
Saw posts in FB groups about green water coming out of the taps in Copperleaf and Greyhawk Landing areas (as in they were able to fill bathtubs full of green water) so I wonder if more neighborhoods are affected, too.
Probably unrelatd to Piney Point or Mosaic, but please keep us posted, and thx!

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

3,749 posts, read 5,494,215 times
From the Manatee County Utilities Dept website:

ANNOUNCEMENTS

WATER DISCOLORATION

Customers have no reason to be concerned about the safety of the drinking water. We understand that the greenish or yellow tint and possibly a slight change in taste is something that customers are not used to, and they will undoubtedly have questions. The changes that are being observed by some County residents resulted from a portion of the treatment system being brought back into service after having been offline as part of a construction project. (The changes are in no way related to Piney Point.) Efforts are underway to address the discoloration by adjusting chemical balances in the water. Utilities officials say it may take some time for any remaining discolored water to work its way out of the system but that it will return to normal.

At no time has the water quality failed to meet stringent standards. Should there ever be the potential for the water to be unsafe for consumption, established protocols for customer notification are utilized. A variety of methods, including but not limited to recorded messages through the reverse 911 system, Precautionary Boil Water Notices and Mandatory Boil Water Notices, door hangers and social media outlets. Only official information provided directly from Manatee County should be relied upon for accuracy and while social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are often utilized to provide information, residents should be sure that the site providing the information is an official County page or account.

Manatee County residents can rest assured that the drinking water is completely safe for consumption and use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area