U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 12:59 PM

2,280 posts, read 2,033,260 times

Advertisements

https://www.bradenton.com/news/local...250410696.html

Less than a day after Manatee County issued an emergency evacuation order for nearby residents of the troubled Piney Point industrial site, public safety officials have announced new and immediate evacuations around the phosphate mine, declaring the collapse of the gypsum stack is “imminent.”

Several hours later, Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a State of Emergency for the county.

“Due to a possible breach of mixed saltwater from the south reservoir at the Piney Point facility, I have declared a State of Emergency for Manatee County to ensure resources are allocated for necessary response & recovery.”

The public safety alert told residents: “Evacuate the area NOW. Collapse of Piney Point Stack is imminent. Immediate evacuation of Chapman Road to Airport Road and US 41 to O’Neill Road. Leave area IMMEDIATELY.”
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 02:37 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,474,239 times
If that went, would that affect us down here in Charlotte County? I mean fish kills from algae.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:33 AM

27,363 posts, read 15,624,047 times
You know govt doesn’t tell all - they keep panic to a minimum with information to alert -but not cause chaos. If they don’t contain - water flows anywhere it wants n as far as it wants and if it rains. Then what ???

Old 04-04-2021, 08:37 AM

3,823 posts, read 1,873,464 times
State of Emergency now extended to two other counties - Hillsborough and Pinellas. I would like to know how the plant got to this. I understand it is a private plant, but still...

Darn, those pesty environmental regulations. Maybe they should be taken more seriously.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:00 AM

26 posts, read 18,288 times
Good chance that there is some corruption involved here and of a political nature as Desantis is trying to pull Florida out of this Covid Coma which goes against everything the current administration stands for.
We sure could use some critical journalists right about now!

Old 04-05-2021, 12:42 PM

268 posts, read 171,331 times
You mean the ones who were all accused of being fake news?

Old 04-05-2021, 05:30 PM

27,363 posts, read 15,624,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly23 View Post
Good chance that there is some corruption involved here and of a political nature as Desantis is trying to pull Florida out of this Covid Coma which goes against everything the current administration stands for.
We sure could use some critical journalists right about now!
The corruption goes back to our leaders. That’s been Repugs for a long time now.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:46 PM

21,298 posts, read 13,709,599 times
The state has let these holding ponds get away with murder for years. They all need to be drained and done away with. They dumped all that crap in the gulf back in 05 and we had the worst red tide we saw in years clyde.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:47 AM

12,958 posts, read 4,471,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
The state has let these holding ponds get away with murder for years. They all need to be drained and done away with. They dumped all that crap in the gulf back in 05 and we had the worst red tide we saw in years clyde.
As I write this post, they are dumping it into Tampa Bay!

Will this stop Mosaic from expanding phosphate mining right here in our forum area? No way!

Do you know they are mining phosphate on land adjacent to Lake Manatee, our primary source for fresh water? What could possibly go wrong?

Who apporved that? Did you know they've recently expanded that operation? Who approved that expansion?

Mosaic gives money to the politicians campaign funds that will allow them to pollute our land and water. We mean nothing to the pollution process unless we ALL speak out, and vote encumbants out of office that go along with Mosaic.

I've been writing everybody involved in this for more than a year. I could really use some help y'all.

Write every local, and state politician, write the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, write editorials in the local newspapers demanding Mosaic stop phosphate mining in our area. Mining in the center of the state, far away from population centers is one thing, but they are right in our backyards now! Look at a local map, find Lake Manatee, and look at the next land parcel to the East...that is the expanding Wingate Creek Mosaic Phosphate mine...its even labeled on this map just East of the Lower Manatee Watershed!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...!4d-82.3479016

Write the leader of our local Water Keepers org, and ask him how we can make a difference.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and we are not squeaking loud enough. If you won't fight to protect our drinking water, what will you fight for?

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-06-2021 at 06:56 AM..

Old 04-06-2021, 09:40 AM

3,823 posts, read 1,873,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I love the images of fluorescent green water being pumped out - yup, no radioactivity there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area