Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 09:47 AM

152 posts, read 180,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryByth View Post
You can also blame know-nothings who flooded the area at the time you were living there, and still move around this region, so they perpetuate lies, myths, mis-characterizations etc most times because of never looking at a MAP to actually know where they live, what town they live in, where they pay taxes, what county they actually live in, who's the dedicated police/LE/FIRE, which school system etc etc.

Witness the fact that most newcomers, not natives, don't know which road was County Line Road.

Witness the fact, even now, most newcomers and even longtime property owners, don't know that Lakewood Ranch is not a City.

Witness the fact, that residents now don't know that Longboat Key is in Manatee County, that The City of Bradenton is but one tiny city in Manatee County, that most of Manatee County is unincorporated, that there was no such thing as Sarasota County it was ALL Manatee County, that North Port is the largest city in Sarasota County.

Witness the fact that most residents now (not whener you lived south) don't know that the Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport is not in Bradenton or the city of Sarasota

Especially witness the fact that most residents don't know that Englewood is actually in two counties, Sarasota AND Charlotte.

Witness the constant perpetuation of the lies, and lack of understanding that a US Postal mailing address more than likely has nothing to do with what city, town, or unincorporated area in which you reside or even pay taxes. (Ex: most of a Venice mailing address now is not in Venice, and of course most of a Bradenton mailing address is no where close to Bradenton, and the real killer of there are residences in Manatee County that have a Sarasota mailing address, which was deliberately contrived to sell houses better during the late 70s).

It's not complicated. It's called willful ignorance and laziness why the use/label of "SWFL" exists in a deliberately misleading fashion.

Maybe it's "ego", "exclusivity", "separation", "aggrandizement", "marketing", "growth", or just plain stupidity, which I've witnessed constantly. Even aided by real estate people

Anyone buy and OWN a MAP these days? well, NO. Therein the problem perhaps?? Ha Ha

Actually, Longboat Key is split between Manatee County and Sarasota County. The line is just north of Bayfront Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 01:39 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
I don't care about all those nit-picky things but it KILLS me when I hear people say "Bradington". I don't know how it is possible to look at the letters B-R-A-D-E-N and think that it's pronounced "Brading".

Old 04-06-2021, 06:54 AM

24 posts, read 24,289 times
well, locals and natives know better than to pronounce Braden-TON ,as < bradington>

most locals and natives know that ELLEN-ton, is not <Ellington> as well, newcomers butcher this name with pure ignorance and indifference when you correct them

also, most locals and natives don't think it's nit-picky to know about which city, town, area they were born in and still live in! we also want to know where we pay taxes, which police to call and where we send our children to school

~juicy

Old 04-06-2021, 07:00 AM

24 posts, read 24,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemapva View Post
Actually, Longboat Key is split between Manatee County and Sarasota County. The line is just north of Bayfront Park.

congrats Mikemapva living in VA (Herndon area) for your understanding and contribution

actually, we locals know that, but I have yet to meet a transplant or seasonal resident who knows that and that most of LBK (the "key", and part of the "town of LBK") is in located in Manatee County, and so is Anna Maria, and Holmes Beach. We also know that Bradenton Beach is not in Bradenton.

I know little about the DC corridor, and don't want to!

~juicy

Old 04-06-2021, 07:58 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyFredda View Post
congrats Mikemapva living in VA (Herndon area) for your understanding and contribution

actually, we locals know that, but I have yet to meet a transplant or seasonal resident who knows that and that most of LBK (the "key", and part of the "town of LBK") is in located in Manatee County, and so is Anna Maria, and Holmes Beach. We also know that Bradenton Beach is not in Bradenton.

I know little about the DC corridor, and don't want to!

~juicy
But that's what you originally said.

Quote:
Witness the fact, that residents now don't know that Longboat Key is in Manatee County, that The City of Bradenton is but one tiny city in Manatee County, that most of Manatee County is unincorporated, that there was no such thing as Sarasota County it was ALL Manatee County, that North Port is the largest city in Sarasota County.
And what's with all the disdain for "transplants or seasonal residents"? I did not know that Englewood was in two counties or anything about Venice mailing addresses, nor do I care since I don't live anywhere near those places. Doesn't make me an idiot, as you imply.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:07 AM

12 posts, read 21,179 times
LOL, wow...only an idiot doesn't seek and enjoy truth, right? just my opinion. Maybe the point trying to be highlighted is that other kinds of residents are the ones distorting or even lying about where they now live in the region. (I don't live in Englewood either, or Venice, but I still want to know (and care) about where I'm from and where I live). Perhaps many transplants like yourself could care less. That too speaks volumes I suppose. Nothing personal.

Also Longboat Key is not just The Town of Longboat Key (proper), it's the whole slither of LAND, which natives and locals already KNOW. Many of us just call it 'the key'.

Having said that, for example, we have Lido Key, Longboat Key, St. Armand's Key, Siesta Key, Bird Key, Casey Key.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:39 AM

14 posts, read 19,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CLIR View Post
LOL, wow...only an idiot doesn't seek and enjoy truth, right? just my opinion. Maybe the point trying to be highlighted is that other kinds of residents are the ones distorting or even lying about where they now live in the region. (I don't live in Englewood either, or Venice, but I still want to know (and care) about where I'm from and where I live). Perhaps many transplants like yourself could care less. That too speaks volumes I suppose. Nothing personal.

Also Longboat Key is not just The Town of Longboat Key (proper), it's the whole slither of LAND, which natives and locals already KNOW. Many of us just call it 'the key'.

Having said that, for example, we have Lido Key, Longboat Key, St. Armand's Key, Siesta Key, Bird Key, Casey Key.
I think many transplants do care but may be very slow to want to assimilate, or don't want to. They move here and say crazy things like "I can't find NY-style pizza" or " I can't find a Deli", or " I wish there was a Wegmans here, they were the best", or similar kinds of criticisms/observations which I don't understand, or "Im from the Berkshires and I miss the seasons, and it's too humid here".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area