Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 01:22 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times

Advertisements

Just something I was wondering. I lived in Naples from 1991 to 2002. During that time typically Manatee County on southward was typically called Southwest FL and included in that region.

I moved back in 2015 to Punta Gorda and in the media and region I rarely ever hear Sarasota, Bradenton, and Venice rarely considered or called Southwest FL anymore. Even North Port isn't included in the region as much and our local news stations while they cover North Port in their viewing area they rarely ever mention North Port unless it's something like a murder.

It's like Sarasota and Bradenton are basically an extension of Tampa now.

Although Venice and Sarasota still feel like SWFL to me, especially Venice is getting to be like Naples. More expensive now and mostly retired folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 06:59 AM

17 posts, read 19,213 times
Blame the media, look at a map, it's all SWFL. Tampa used to be called by some central Florida, then West Florida, now it's Tampa Bay. South of Naples used to be referred to as South Florida, now it's only Miami Dade/Ft Lauderdale, etc etc etc.

Same crazy nomenclature with what's Nature Coast, Emerald Coast, SunCoast, Treasure/Gold Coast, etc etc. Yeah it's pretty stupid I guess. Just say what town or city or county you live in.

Saying you live in SWFL can be meaningless and even misleading LOL

Last edited by CaryByth; 04-04-2021 at 08:17 AM..

Old 04-04-2021, 07:30 AM

17 posts, read 19,213 times
You can also blame know-nothings who flooded the area at the time you were living there, and still move around this region, so they perpetuate lies, myths, mis-characterizations etc most times because of never looking at a MAP to actually know where they live, what town they live in, where they pay taxes, what county they actually live in, who's the dedicated police/LE/FIRE, which school system etc etc.

Witness the fact that most newcomers, not natives, don't know which road was County Line Road.

Witness the fact, even now, most newcomers and even longtime property owners, don't know that Lakewood Ranch is not a City.

Witness the fact, that residents now don't know that Longboat Key is in Manatee County, that The City of Bradenton is but one tiny city in Manatee County, that most of Manatee County is unincorporated, that there was no such thing as Sarasota County it was ALL Manatee County, that North Port is the largest city in Sarasota County.

Witness the fact that most residents now (not whener you lived south) don't know that the Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport is not in Bradenton or the city of Sarasota

Especially witness the fact that most residents don't know that Englewood is actually in two counties, Sarasota AND Charlotte.

Witness the constant perpetuation of the lies, and lack of understanding that a US Postal mailing address more than likely has nothing to do with what city, town, or unincorporated area in which you reside or even pay taxes. (Ex: most of a Venice mailing address now is not in Venice, and of course most of a Bradenton mailing address is no where close to Bradenton, and the real killer of there are residences in Manatee County that have a Sarasota mailing address, which was deliberately contrived to sell houses better during the late 70s).

It's not complicated. It's called willful ignorance and laziness why the use/label of "SWFL" exists in a deliberately misleading fashion.

Maybe it's "ego", "exclusivity", "separation", "aggrandizement", "marketing", "growth", or just plain stupidity, which I've witnessed constantly. Even aided by real estate people

Anyone buy and OWN a MAP these days? well, NO. Therein the problem perhaps?? Ha Ha

Old 04-04-2021, 07:38 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryByth View Post
You can also blame know-nothings who flooded the area at the time you were living there, and still move around this region, so they perpetuate lies, myths, mis-characterizations etc most times because of never looking at a MAP to actually know where they live, what town they live in, where they pay taxes, what county they actually live in, who's the dedicated police/LE/FIRE, which school system etc etc.

Witness the fact that most newcomers, not natives, don't know which road was County Line Road.

Witness the fact, even now, most newcomers and even longtime property owners, don't know that Lakewood Ranch is not a City.

Witness the fact, that residents now don't know that Longboat Key is in Manatee County, that The City of Bradenton is but one tiny city in Manatee County, that most of Manatee County is unincorporated, that there was no such thing as Sarasota County it was ALL Manatee County, that North Port is the largest city in Sarasota County.

Witness the fact that most residents now (not whener you lived south) don't know that the Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport is not in Bradenton or the city of Sarasota

Especially witness the fact that most residents don't know that Englewood is actually in two counties, Sarasota AND Charlotte.

Witness the constant perpetuation of the lies, and lack of understanding that a US Postal mailing address more than likely has nothing to do with what city, town, or unincorporated area in which you reside or even pay taxes. (Ex: most of a Venice mailing address now is not in Venice, and of course most of a Bradenton mailing address is no where close to Bradenton, and the real killer of there are residences in Manatee County that have a Sarasota mailing address, which was deliberately contrived to sell houses better during the late 70s).

It's not complicated. It's called willful ignorance and laziness why the use/label of "SWFL" exists in a deliberately misleading fashion.

Maybe it's "ego", "exclusivity", "separation", "aggrandizement", "marketing", "growth", or just plain stupidity, which I've witnessed constantly.

Anyone buy and OWN a MAP these days? well, NO. Therein the problem perhaps?? Ha Hagl
Lol. Some think Lakewood ranch is its own country. Reminds me of the Villages.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:40 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Geographically Bradenton and Sarasota aren’t that far south so it’s debatable whether they’re SWFL or still part of central Florida. They’re also sort of a part of the Tampa metro... I’m not sure who’s right. Part of me thinks south of the Manatee River is SWFL and another part of me would draw the line at the Peace River.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Geographically Bradenton and Sarasota aren’t that far south so it’s debatable whether they’re SWFL or still part of central Florida. They’re also sort of a part of the Tampa metro... I’m not sure who’s right. Part of me thinks south of the Manatee River is SWFL and another part of me would draw the line at the Peace River.

Well USF is in tampa and I don't consider Tampa South FL.

I can see calling Sarasota Southwest FL still. Bradenton is right on Tampa Bay. I live in Punta Gorda and it's always been considered SWFL.

Personally, I'd use Sarasota on South as SWFL.

Near the coast it seems Sarasota on Southward Florida takes on a different look. More tropical looking, especially when you get to around Ft. Myers.

Bradenton I'd just lump into metro Tampa.

It's odd but Venice looks more Tropical than here in Punta Gorda. The trees and such. Could be because it's so close to the Gulf. Coconut trees and such are taller as well despite being further north. I wonder if that could also have to due with Charley hitting Punta Gorda as well.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Well USF is in tampa and I don't consider Tampa South FL.

I can see calling Sarasota Southwest FL still. Bradenton is right on Tampa Bay. I live in Punta Gorda and it's always been considered SWFL.

Personally, I'd use Sarasota on South as SWFL.

Near the coast it seems Sarasota on Southward Florida takes on a different look. More tropical looking, especially when you get to around Ft. Myers.

Bradenton I'd just lump into metro Tampa.

It's odd but Venice looks more Tropical than here in Punta Gorda. The trees and such. Could be because it's so close to the Gulf. Coconut trees and such are taller as well despite being further north. I wonder if that could also have to due with Charley hitting Punta Gorda as well.
USF is called that because it was the southernmost public university in Florida when it was established.

You make an interesting point about the tropical landscape. However, parts of Bradenton look very tropical. The area west of downtown and north of 64 is actually warmer in the winter than Sarasota which allows it to have an abundance of tropical plants. Anna Maria Island is the warmest spot on the west coast until at least Boca Grande. The reason for this is having Tampa Bay to their north makes a huge difference. Anytime you’re close to water it moderates the climate, but especially so when the water is to your north like in Bradenton or Anna Maria Island. Further, places like Englewood are at a lower elevation so cold air from the interior of the state will drain there on cold winter nights. That limits how many tropical plants can grow. All in all, it leads to a weird situation where northern Manatee County is actually more tropical than Sarasota and Charlotte counties.

Last edited by FL_Expert; 04-05-2021 at 07:14 AM..

Old 04-05-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
USF is called that because it was the southernmost public university in Florida when it was established.

You make an interesting point about the tropical landscape. However, parts of Bradenton look very tropical. The area west of downtown and north of 64 is actually warmer in the winter than Sarasota which allows it to have an abundance of tropical plants. Anna Maria Island is the warmest spot on the west coast until at least Boca Grande. The reason for this is having Tampa Bay to their north makes a huge difference. Anytime you’re close to water it moderates the climate, but especially so when the water is to your north like in Bradenton or Anna Maria Island. Further, places like Englewood are at a lower elevation so cold air from the interior of the state will drain there on cold winter nights. That limits how many tropical plants can grow. All in all, it leads to a weird situation where northern Manatee County is actually more tropical than Sarasota and Charlotte counties.
Actually Englewood beach, Manasota key is more tropical looking than Punta Gorda. You have the Gulf and Lemon Bay on the other side.

Of course it still doesn't look like Naples though. Naples looks more like the Caribbean. Lots of tall coconut trees everywhere.

Also more humid in Naples too.

Bradenton a few miles inland has a more temperate look compared to where I live though. Looks less tropical than where I live .

Old 04-05-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Actually Englewood beach, Manasota key is more tropical looking than Punta Gorda. You have the Gulf and Lemon Bay on the other side.

Of course it still doesn't look like Naples though. Naples looks more like the Caribbean. Lots of tall coconut trees everywhere.

Also more humid in Naples too.

Bradenton a few miles inland has a more temperate look compared to where I live though. Looks less tropical than where I live .
Yep, Englewood gets cold but Englewood beach does quite a bit better. I think being that far south helps tropical plants too because they’ll have higher winter daytime high temperatures. That effect really takes over from about Cape Coral south. I think Boca Grande/Cape Coral is roughly where the climate transitions from sub-tropical/boarderline tropical to full on tropical.

The main reason you get those tall coconuts in places like Naples, Sanibel, Ft. Myers, is they managed to survive the freezes in the 1980s. Not a single coconut survived in Pinellas County. A number of them survived in Anna Maria, then just a handful here and there south to Boca Grande where they seem to have done okay. There are actually a couple in that park on the Peace River in Punta Gorda too.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:05 AM

24 posts, read 24,257 times
in the summer time, everywhere is *tropical* lol

~juicy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area