Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 06:44 PM

9,130 posts, read 6,180,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
When living in the North East, Bluffton looks warm, until you live there, for a couple of years.....then Fl looks so much better. Bluffton is cold in the winter.
And Florida is hot all year. Takes more than a couple of years to retool your body for the hot climate after 60+ years in the snow belt. I'm still waiting to get used to the heat and humidity in Florida.

Bluffton is not cold for a New Yorker, especially from upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 05:05 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
We left Venice, FL the past 2 Summer's to spend 1 month near Bluffton to escape the Florida heat. We only got about 5 degrees on average cooler (less hot) temps in Bluffton versus Venice, but the difference was noticeable enough.

This year, we'll likely go further North for a month to get out of the Florida Summer heat.

This thread shows us all why Florida has so many snowbirds who keep 2 homes...one in Florida and another up North. If you can afford it, that's the way to go to optimize the weather you are living with.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:51 PM

53 posts, read 68,666 times
Can anyone here tell me what you think is a typical cost of a round of golf (18 holes w/cart) would be at an average public course? Up here it's probably between $40 and $60 depending on the course (and with no "coupons" like GolfNow, etc.). Obviously the private and top tier public courses would be a little higher (top level is $200 locally).

Old 04-18-2021, 08:01 PM

60 posts, read 62,770 times
I am in strategy, so I understand what you mean about data. Having said that, it doesn't work as well with real estate because it's hard to capture the intagibles of atomosphere, neighborhood, and little (but important) things like how annoying it is to not have a traffic light or a sidewalk at the entrance to your condo/house. Got to have some feet on the ground before you really make a decision.

Anyway...I am originally from NJ (with family in Cortland and Homer). I chose Sarasota/FL because it is on the east coast, close to a major airport, has no state income taxes, close to the water, and reasonably close to an urban cultural center.

I don't know much about SC but the state income tax wouldn't work for me due to the international nature of my family (we may choose to live abroad certain timeframes). I can say that I like the area we moved to which is walking distance to Siesta Key. Longish walk, but nevertheless. I find people friendly. No issues with my family (I'm white, wife is Asian and we have a child). Relaxed.

I am less satisfied with property tax, HOA, and insurance increases. Traffic can be....icky.

I think your price range is ok for the size of house you're looking for, especially if you are ok with driving a bit to get to the beach. But I think you really need a few visits. Even within Sarasota, the areas are very, very different.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:46 AM

53 posts, read 68,666 times
Ha! No question about that. Experience has taught me to appreciate where data can mean absolutely nothing (or even worse!), Yukenbo.

I have spent some time in both areas but more from a vacationers' POV which can be substantially different from actually living there. We had family in both the St Augustine and Bradenton/Sarasota areas (Siesta Key is stunning!) so I spent a little more time there than SC but, again, only a week at a time. I'm also seeing that the lack of income tax is almost a wash with the lower property taxes, lower cost of living and insurances of SC. That surprised me a bit.

Appreciate the input. Thanks for taking the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area