Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 07:22 AM

53 posts, read 68,666 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my wife and I are at that "let's get out of upstate NY and into a nicer climate for the retirement" stage and we're considering both SC and Florida. As an accountant, I'm totally into the gathering of way, WAY too much numerical data (taxes, cost of living, etc.) but ran across this site and wondered if I could gather more first hand thoughts. As a little background, we're an upper middle class, relatively active couple, enjoy some culture but enjoy biking, hiking, a day at the beach or an afternoon in front of a barbeque with friends as well. Real estate goal would be a single family or large condo (aiming at maybe 2k sf or so) with a small yard. Suburbs but somewhat close to a large town or city. 30 - 60 minutes to the coast would be preferable. Been looking at 55+ communities for the included maintenance but I also realize that that comes with a cost. Budget might be somewhere in the $300 - $350k range but that could shift up or down as I see what the potential is. Specifically I'm looking at the Bluffton, SC and Sarasota, FL areas to see what potential they might have. Hope that all helps but feel free to ask more if you think it might help.

Hope that's enough to elicit some thoughts - good, bad, indifferent - all thoughts and comments are welcomed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 08:27 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Bluffton, SC and Sarasota are pretty different places. Food for thought:
- SC will still get somewhat cold in the winter. Sarasota will have a few cold nights, but that’s basically it.
- Sarasota boarders a tropical climate, SC doesn’t really have any tropical characteristics.
- As I’m sure you know as an accountant, FL has no state income tax but relatively high property taxes. SC has a relatively low effective income tax rate, and low property taxes
- Sarasota has arguably the best beaches in the continental US. SC is meh.
- Sarasota is a day trip from Tampa and Orlando. Bluffton is near Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville. Sarasota has a surprising amount of cultural activities, but it can’t match the history of Savannah and Charleston.
- Low country food in SC/GA is better than FL.
- Culturally, you’re in the Deep South in SC. Sarasota is loosely Midwestern.

Last edited by FL_Expert; 04-17-2021 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-17-2021, 08:54 AM

16 posts, read 26,596 times
choose anywhere in almost coast SC, over Sarasota FL for the money-Sarasota now much too crowded and overpriced, too many exiles from NY like you - many people now move out of Sarasota and take big profit and leaving the area for south GA, and south Carolina, N Carolina and eastern to central part TN - people look for less crowd, more privacy/property. Both areas are nice, but very different. People very different too, FL beginning to have many people with very bad attitudes than even 10 years ago. Very noticeable now.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:09 AM

16 posts, read 26,596 times
personal opinion is that the part of SC you're looking at has far more character than around Sarasota. More history and identity. FL's character is losing its true southern identity - that is far from happening in SC, not so much. It's also becoming more dangerous even on senior scammers. House insurance prices just got increased, many paying 25-30% more now in 2021 than in 2019-2020. All costs in neighborhood HOA dues and CDD tax are very very high now. It's not all bad but getting there in costs. People are selling left and right to people like you.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the great responses. Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Any others would be as well!

Old 04-17-2021, 11:48 AM

220 posts, read 269,952 times
We've lived and have had homes in both areas mentioned, Siesta Key and Beaufort,SC. The above comments and thoughts are pretty spot on and very informative.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:15 PM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Our final 4 were:

-Bluffton/Okatie
-Southern Sarasota County
-Santa Rosa Beach in the Panhandle
-Vero Beach's barrier Island (zip 32963)

Our situation, & wants/needs differed from yours. Our price point was $500k+, no 55+, & I'm semi-retired so our income makes state income taxes a factor. We also have family in Jupiter & Port St. Lucie, and we both lived in Florida before, & liked it.

We vacationed on HHI 40+ times during our 20+ yrs in Atlanta, so that tells you how much we liked it. My wife's 1st choice was Palmetto Bluff in Bluffton, or Oldfield in Okatie, or Colleton River Plantation. Our Son's in college nearby too, so that was pulling my wife.

I preferred anywhere in FLA due to lower cost of living/taxes, & better winter weather. Most of the homes in SC were frame on crawl space, & not cinder block; I wanted block for Hurricane safety. I also didn't like how dependent drivers are on state roads 278 & 170 in Bluffton/Okatie area. Proximity to Savannah & Charleston was A+. I could see us doing 3-day vacations in both regularly, for a change of scenery. You will not find restaurants/food in Florida like that IMHO. My wife LOVES the decorating style of the Low Country too.

SW FLA won out, but I had to compromise on where we wound up in Southern Sarasota County. We rented for 1.5 yrs first in Palmer Ranch (great location), but wound up 25 minutes further South. We built a new home 2 yrs ago, & are mostly happy. Our home value has gone from $550k to $800k

We spent the last 2 September's on HHI in a VRBO. We're leaving soon for Savannah to visit our Son who is still attending college nearby. The Low Country keeps pulling us back, it seems.

Our next, & last stop, will likely be Bluffton/HHI, or Vero Beach's 32963. I insist upon a Ocean view next time

You have 2 such great states to choose from. I don't think you can go wrong in either place. Florida's explosive growth is a bit unnerving, so consider that.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretnaGreen View Post
I don't think people from upstate NY would consider Bluffton SC cold, even in the winter.
Lol! Spot on. It's 52* here today and I mowed the lawn in a golf shirt. As a lifelong CNY'er, there's probably not much that SC could throw my way that would make me cold enough to reconsider living there.

To the others, great stuff. I appreciate all of the thoughts and comments. Thanks for taking the time to throw them out there!

Old 04-17-2021, 04:17 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Well, you probably can't go wrong with either place. It all comes down to personal taste and what you are looking for. I am not that familiar with Bluffton, but I do think SC has a lot to offer. However, I am a Florida native and love it here. Spent many years in Sarasota/Bradenton but we moved to central Florida (Lakeland) recently for retirement and love it here. Not on the coast but we have gorgeous lakes, forests, small hills and a more relaxed lifestyle. Easy to get to either coast when we want. Just visit both places and see what appeals to you. Each place will have its strong points.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:48 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
When living in the North East, Bluffton looks warm, until you live there, for a couple of years.....then Fl looks so much better. Bluffton is cold in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area