U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2021, 10:58 AM

12,994 posts, read 4,488,888 times

Advertisements

https://www.fox13news.com/news/open-...ghout-sarasota

Would you ride it?

It's going to be free (initially at least), but you'd likely have to pay to park in the parking garages, and I hate parking garages. Land is at a premium downtown, so its all going vertical....ugh!

Last weekend with the 2 art shows & the usual farmers market, downtown Sarsota (aka SRQ) was traffic gridlock nearly all day Saturday. Making the trip over to Lido took me 35 minutes of bumper to bumper.

Of course, that was the busiest day of the year, so I dont want to base any decisions upon that, but clearly something must be done. Once you get to Lido, parking is challenging too, even with the new parking deck they've installed near St. Armands circle.

I must admit that since they started charging to park on and near ST. Armands Circle, my visits have diminished greatly. They're not missing me though based upon what I saw last weekend.

I'd likely use the trolleys, unless I was going to the beaches over on Lido because there's too much stuff to carry onto a trolley....beach umbrella, chairs, towels, & cooler. If they had plentiful & resonable chair/cabana rentals all along the beach, I'd likely opt for that in tandem with the trolley.

Do you think the trolleys will be a success?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 11:01 AM

398 posts, read 250,125 times
I don’t think they’ll get much ridership by connecting one affluent area to another affluent area. People will just drive.

Old 04-18-2021, 04:32 AM

261 posts, read 175,426 times
When we go, we have beach umbrellas, cart. Chairs.. not feasible, but on a day we are going to walk around one have a bite to eat, might be good! Or if you literally have a backpack with a beach blanket and towel, trolley would work

Old 04-18-2021, 04:57 AM

12,994 posts, read 4,488,888 times
If they had low cost chairs & umbrella's for rent on the public beaches, it could help to make the trolley's more useful.

I also wish they'd have flat parking lots to leave your car at, and not parking garages. Parking garages are more crime prone.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I feel bad for the people who live on Lido Key and St. Armands Key on the days a crush of traffic arrives, like Saturday April 10th, when the art show was there. They can't leave their homes with their cars to go to the Farmers Market for instance, because they can't easily drive back home.

Another bridge from Siesta Key to the Southern tip of Lido Key could help, but then, there's not enough parking spaces for all those cars that crossed any new bridge.

They are a victim of their own success. I could see the residents there & their local polititicans, curtailing special events there in the future during peak season. The restaurants and stores on the circle do just fine w/o them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: