Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2023, 04:34 AM

8,179 posts, read 4,654,186 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...e7adc674&ei=30

Allegiant Air, the low-cost airline that's played a leading role in making Sarasota Bradenton International the fastest-growing airport in the United States, will be taking all five gates in the new terminal now under construction.

The planned terminal doesn't look like much now. It's basically just a dirt construction site where underground utilities are being installed on the east side of the ticket counter.

But by December, 2024, when construction is scheduled to be completed, the new ground-level terminal will have 970 seats —630 with power for phones and other electronic devices — five gates, a four-lane security checkpoint, nursing rooms, a pet relief area and restrooms.

With more gates to work with, Piccolo said he thought Allegiant would be adding more destinations. Another factor in Allegiant's potential expansion at SRQ could be its Sunseeker Resort that it is working to complete and open near Punta Gorda.

"We are working diligently to complete the construction on our new premier resort and are expected to be open for welcoming guests in Oct. 2023. We are now accepting reservations for bookings beginning Oct. 16, 2023, the company says on its website.

Sunseeker is planned as an all-in-one destination resort within reach of Fort Myers and Sarasota.

"Without a doubt, you'll see more destinations," Piccolo said.

A year ago, airlines were already expressing interest in the planned terminal expansion.

"Just about every airline has expressed some interest in the ground-level transportation facility. Some airlines have said they would take the whole thing tomorrow if you'd let me," Piccolo said in April 2022.

Allegiant began offering service at SRQ in April 2018 with three non-stop destinations. It now offers 29 nonstops.

Southwest began serving SRQ in February 2021 and now offers 21 destinations.

Prior to the arrival of Allegiant, SRQ was served by six airlines and offered nonstop flights to 12 destinations. It now offers more than 50 destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 07:32 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
I'd never fly them. All i hear is complaints from people around here who use it.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:52 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
I booked 1 flight with them, it got cancelled, & the next flight out to that destination wasn't for 3 or 4 more days.

So, I took an Uber to TPA to get to my destination several hours late.

They did refund my money w/ a small stipend for my trouble, but it didn't cover my Uber ride to TPA.

I'd try them again, but not for any time sensitive flights.

I like the SRQ airport though, & Punta Gorda, and Ft. Myers. All easier for me to get to than TPA, but of course limited destinations, and times...its a trade-off.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:43 PM

282 posts, read 248,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I'd never fly them. All i hear is complaints from people around here who use it.
Agree. Watched the 60 minutes feature on them a few years ago. Frightening is an understatement. They violated so many safety protocols without any repercussions, and apparently it was common knowledge.
Disappointing that they will be occupying so many of the gates.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:54 AM

733 posts, read 760,367 times
When Allegiant first came about, they had a horrendous track record with their airplanes. The 60-minutes piece was part of that coverage. They started with old, used planes, and just couldn't keep up with the issues.

Since then, I've heard they have replaced all their planes with newer models, and have a much better safety record. So if your perception is still based on the early years, you may want to reconsider. I've only flown them once, Punta Gorda to NH nonstop. It was fine.

You just need to know what you are getting. Just like all the other low-cost carriers, pay extra for bags, no snacks, maybe tighter seats, etc. But the prices are great, and lots of non-stop destinations. They are definitely a great option for many folks.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:15 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
When Allegiant first came about, they had a horrendous track record with their airplanes. The 60-minutes piece was part of that coverage. They started with old, used planes, and just couldn't keep up with the issues.

Since then, I've heard they have replaced all their planes with newer models, and have a much better safety record. So if your perception is still based on the early years, you may want to reconsider. I've only flown them once, Punta Gorda to NH nonstop. It was fine.

You just need to know what you are getting. Just like all the other low-cost carriers, pay extra for bags, no snacks, maybe tighter seats, etc. But the prices are great, and lots of non-stop destinations. They are definitely a great option for many folks.
But when a flight gets canceled or delayed you're screwed and many of the passengers are less than steller due to the cheap price.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
But when a flight gets canceled or delayed you're screwed and many of the passengers are less than steller due to the cheap price.
If you flight is cancelled, yes, you might be in trouble, because they don't fly every day of the week. Delayed.... well maybe same as other airlines. So if that is a big concern, hey, don't fly them. People might say the same about Southwest Airlines these days too.

Passenger quality? No worries there. I've seen all walks of life on Spirit, Allegiant, etc, as well as on Delta, United etc. The major airlines are selling 'basic' tickets now to compete with low-cost carriers, so the same types of people are buying those tickets and flying those airlines. Don't fall for the sterotypes.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:38 AM

Here's a recap from the WSJ 2022 rankings. Allegiant is a solid 5th, so not too shabby.

Old 07-31-2023, 07:31 AM

Seems like this was the fault of air traffic controllers and not Allegiant? Thank God a catastrophe was avoided. In any event IMO as air traffic continues to grow in Florida these kind of events could become more common.

Flight attendant injured after Allegiant plane attempts to avoid mid-air collision in Florida

For full article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fl...6df2c120&ei=26

An Allegiant flight attendant was injured on Sunday when the plane had to take “evasive action” to avoid a mid-air collision in Florida, according to NBC affiliate WTVJ.

Allegiant Flight 485 had just left Fort Lauderdale International Airport when an air traffic controller in a Miami control center instructed the plane to turn eastbound, at an altitude of 23,000 feet.

The plane flew right in front of a northbound Gulfstream business jet, WTVJ reported.

The Federal Aviation Administration said that both the Allegiant and Gulfstream pilot got an automated alert about another aircraft at the same altitude and took “evasive action.”

Old 07-31-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Seems like this was the fault of air traffic controllers and not Allegiant? Thank God a catastrophe was avoided. In any event IMO as air traffic continues to grow in Florida these kind of events could become more common.

Flight attendant injured after Allegiant plane attempts to avoid mid-air collision in Florida

For full article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fl...6df2c120&ei=26

An Allegiant flight attendant was injured on Sunday when the plane had to take “evasive action” to avoid a mid-air collision in Florida, according to NBC affiliate WTVJ.

Allegiant Flight 485 had just left Fort Lauderdale International Airport when an air traffic controller in a Miami control center instructed the plane to turn eastbound, at an altitude of 23,000 feet.

The plane flew right in front of a northbound Gulfstream business jet, WTVJ reported.

The Federal Aviation Administration said that both the Allegiant and Gulfstream pilot got an automated alert about another aircraft at the same altitude and took “evasive action.”
A lot more details about this here:

Flight attendant hurt when Allegiant plane took ‘evasive action' to avoid mid-air collision

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nati...ision/4542133/

Neither the FAA nor Allegiant answered questions about the flight attendant's recovery, nor how close the aircrafts actually came. But longtime commercial airline pilot and Air Force veteran Dan Stratman said the kind of alert of proximity received by both pilots is not one of a set distance across all aircrafts.

"I don't think there's a set number for all situations. If I remember right, it's about 500 feet or 1,000 feet of altitude separation, and somewhere around 3 miles of lateral separation," he said. "At the speeds airplanes travel, especially jets, it doesn't take long to cover a mile or two."

Stratman said that a similar incident had happened to him twice in his nearly four-decade career, and that these types of near-misses, though rare, are beginning to happen more often.

"In this case, that seems to be the most likely scenario, that the two airplanes were on a collision course and the controller might not have remembered that. Luckily, the equipment took over and kept the disaster from happening," Stratman said. "This year has been a bad year, and there's been a spike in near-misses, both in the air and on the ground, on runways. The FAA has convened some meetings to try to figure out what's going on."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area