U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 08:08 AM

1,828 posts, read 1,884,304 times

Advertisements

This sounds interesting. I'd like to more details such as the cost for a ride. Why would somebody use this instead of just using Uber or Lyft? I'm guessing the wait times for rides will be longer compared to Uber.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

The change comes after commissioners in October 2020 announced a plan to eliminate many of Sarasota County Area Transit's fixed routes in favor of a ride share program.

The plan cuts all routes in North Port, Venice and Englewood, as well as unproductive routes in the city of Sarasota and on the barrier islands. One route along U.S. 41 between Sarasota and south county will remain.

The routes will be replaced with mobility hubs that will allow riders to access an on-demand service scheduled to begin in June.

The new mobility-on-demand service will link county services with ride-share companies to take them to a bus stop, or when it makes more sense, their final destinations. Riders can use the new service immediately or schedule a future ride.

According to the contract, River North Transit LLC will provide software that allows scheduling and dispatch, a mobile app for county residents to use and a call center to process other requests.

River North will provide all vehicles and staff needed for the service to function. It also will take care of vehicle maintenance and fuel.

The mobility-on-demand service will be split into four zones: North Port, Venice/Englewood, Siesta Key and Lido/Longboat Key.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 11:36 PM

The article mentioned a call center in addition to a mobile app. If the call center can be utilized to order a ride instead of the mobile app - then I could see this might have some appeal for seniors - because many seniors aren't tech savvy with mobile phones. That would be an advantage over Uber because Uber doesn't have a call center.

Last edited by wondermint2; 05-08-2021 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-08-2021, 08:32 PM

912 posts, read 650,246 times
Censorship ! ! !

Old 05-25-2021, 11:05 AM

There's an article in today's Herald-Tribune that dscribes this service in more detail. Seems like the main goal is to use the ride hailing service to take people to bus stops. Although the way I understand it is if you want to go somewhere that's in the same zone you will have the option of using the ride hailing service for the full ride all the way to your destination.

Sarasota County to roll out ride-hailing public transit in June. Here's how it works

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...em/5145237001/

Unlike traditional fixed-route transit, the on-demand system will enable riders to request that a vehicle come to them and take them to a stop nearest to where they want to go. Think of it like an Uber or Lyft but with a few added restrictions.

For now, service will be split into four zones: Siesta Key, Lido and Longboat Key, Venice and Englewood and North Port. The on-demand service will run 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday. The service also will operate 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Sundays.

Let's say you want to go to the grocery store. As long as you and the store are in the designated zone, you can be taken directly there and back. If you want to go within zones, you have the option of being taken to a bus stop that will take you the rest of the way.

Fares likely will remain at $1.25 for anyone 6 to 70 years old. Children under 5 and passengers 80 and older might have an opportunity to ride for free.

Riders can pay their fares while making the reservation online, in the app or by paying cash to the driver. The application and website will accept credit cards, debit cards and prepaid cards.

Riders can request a ride via a mobile application from your app store, at scgov.net/OnDemand, or by calling a dedicated call center at 941-300-1553. Customers may also email questions to support-sarasota@ridewithvia.com.

The ride will show up within 30 minutes of the ride request.

The OnDemand vehicle, which looks like a minivan, will pick up customers and take them to their destinations within the same zone. Other customers traveling similar routes may ride along.

Last edited by wondermint2; 05-25-2021 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-25-2021, 11:23 AM

30 minutes seems like a long time to wait for a ride compared to Uber or Lyft. Although the price is much lower.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:11 PM

I don't use Uber or Lyft but I've ben reading that their prices and wait times are increasing as there's a shortage of drivers. This could make the Scat-mobility-on-demand service more attractive to some people. I was thinking of trying it to go from my doctor in Venice to my home in Nokomis.

I need to contact them to see if this trip is considered to be in the same zone - because if not I don't want to mess with taking a bus for part of the trip. Also I wonder if there's snags in the system because it's so new - they say a ride will arrive within 30 minutes - but I have no idea how reliable they are. I do like the idea of being able to call in to order a ride as compared to messing with a smartphone app.

There’s A Reason You’re Paying More And Waiting Longer For Uber And Lyft Rides This Year

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Old 06-03-2021, 10:22 AM

12,240 posts, read 4,031,392 times
If this will take cars off the road, then I'm for it.

If it winds up costing millions, and results in underutilized vans w/ nobody, or 1 person in them, then I'm against it.

I see way too many city/county busses w/ very few riders aboard, & that is a waste of financial resources, & is harmful to our environment...even if they do burn natural gas.

What do these vans run on?

Government can seldom do things better than the private sector can, so there's that fact too. The postal service is a train wreck, & most public transportation loses millions, or billions.

I dont mind paying to get granny to healthcare, but I'm weary of anything more.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If this will take cars off the road, then I'm for it.

If it winds up costing millions, and results in underutilized vans w/ nobody, or 1 person in them, then I'm against it.

I see way too many city/county busses w/ very few riders aboard, & that is a waste of financial resources, & is harmful to our environment...even if they do burn natural gas.

What do these vans run on?

Government can seldom do things better than the private sector can, so there's that fact too. The postal service is a train wreck, & most public transportation loses millions, or billions.

I dont mind paying to get granny to healthcare, but I'm weary of anything more.
Well from what I've read some of the under-utilized bus lines were shut down - and the stated main purpose of the Scat-mobility-on-demand program is to get people to bus stops. But it remains to be seen if people will use it primarily that way.

As I mentioned if you live in the same zone as your destination - you can take the van for the full ride. Otherwise they will drop you off at a bus stop.

For now, service will be split into four zones: Siesta Key, Lido and Longboat Key, Venice and Englewood and North Port.

I live in Nokomis so I don't know how that configues into their zone interpretation. They should have a map somewhere where the zones are clearly defined.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:49 PM

12,240 posts, read 4,031,392 times
I'm open to see how it goes. I'll try not to be closed-minded about it. My wife used to drive people around as a volunteer, & some of it was quite helpful to those she drove.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

Well my experience with this service isn't very good thus far (even though I haven't even ordered a ride yet).

I emailed them Sunday night and asked them if my home address in Nokomis is considered to be in the same zone as the Venice zone. I immediately got an auto-reply saying somebody would answer my email soon. I finally got a canned response 3 full business days later that wasn't much help.

They never specifically answered my question - just sent me a map of the zones. Unfortunately the map doesn't seem very clear because it looks like the zone boundary line cuts right across part of Nokomis. I emailed them back explaining this and asked about my SPECIFIC address and just got another unhelpful response that basically said the same thing: "just look at the map".

Here is a link to the map of the zone boundaries they sent me. As you can see it kind of looks like the Venice zone touches part of Nokomis:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...dl7RcXTe0wanVe

Can anybody make heads or tails from this map which part of Nokomis (if any) is included in the Venice zone? (On the map click the box that says "Final Zones). Then click for the Venice zone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a different broad overview map of the zones they sent me. As you can see it looks like the Venice zone goes right up to/through part of Nokomis:

https://p13.zdusercontent.com/attach...FiLOOBq33s6zQQ

Last edited by wondermint2; Yesterday at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area