U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 05:26 PM

12,832 posts, read 3,946,373 times

Advertisements

My sister is in Sarasota and she says the water smells like sulfur. Can anyone tell me why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 05:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 12,739,349 times
Some wells mel have sulfur water and it smells to hell.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:56 PM

22,662 posts, read 21,705,065 times
All well water smells like that, so you just need to look up a good water purification company and buy a water system from them. 95-99% of the smell will go away and you won’t even notice it.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 12,739,349 times
Not all well water does. Northeast Pasco county has great water and no smell mel.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:00 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,097,471 times
In 1981 a guy I worked with and I took a canoe trip on the Hennepin Canal through Northwestern Illinois. The Hennepin was dug approximately parallel to what was later I-80, in the mid-1800's for commerce movement. He had worked on a crew in the 1970's that replaced the old iron bridges crossing it with large culverts, and he wanted to see how it turned out.

Like idiots, we didn't bring any food or water with us, and we ended up going further and further west. We stopped near the small town of Geneseo, IL, when we saw an older couple using a garden hose to water their garden - we pulled to the bank, tied off and asked if we could drink from their hose. The lady replied, "Sure, but it's got some sulfur taste", but we were so thirsty we didn't care. I took one gulp and almost barfed, the odor and taste of "rotten eggs" was so strong. But I couldn't afford to be picky that day, and held my nose and drank my fill, by the time I was done I was (almost) used to it, but still had to resist gagging for the next few minutes. I asked them, "Do you drink this all the time yourselves?" and the husband said, "For drinking water, we keep a pitcher full in the refrigerator, and the sulfur taste mostly settles out of it". We thanked them and were on our way, grateful we lived near Lake Michigan and its great-tasting water. If I lived there, I'd be working a second job to buy charcoal filtration, LOL.

On a related note, we stopped again further west when we saw some guys fishing, they were older guys who were pulling some huge carp out of the canal. I noticed that one of the guys had really large hands, with fingers that looked like jointed sausages. My grandfather's hands looked the same way, my guess is it was common for men who performed hard labor, working with their hands their whole lives, so I struck up a conversation with him. He had a German accent, and told me that in his youth, he was a sparring partner for no less than Max Schmeling in Germany! (Schmeling lost to Joe Louis in the 1930's, it was a blow to Hitler's "superiority" claims). I wish now I had spent more time talking with him, learning how he came to be in the States.

To Grlzrl's question, I'd guess it was simply due to large amounts of sulfur deposits in the ground the aquifer passed through. My Dad's well in Wisconsin had a huge amount of iron in the water, enough to stain laundry and leave a ring in the bathtub, you could actually "smell" the iron, it was like sanding a rusty steel railing. When I could afford it, I rented a softener system for him, and it was fine after that.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:03 PM

164 posts, read 114,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My sister is in Sarasota and she says the water smells like sulfur. Can anyone tell me why?
The tap water? Well water coming out of the tap shouldn't smell like that. As others said, water system should be checked out to make sure it's operating correctly.

Edited to add that she could always enjoy what could be similar to the water that comes from the "Radioactive Fountain of Youth" in Punta Gorda: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/47431 My husband tried it once but the smell was overwhelming.

Last edited by SellingNWCape; 04-26-2021 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Added info about Punta Gorda

Old 04-27-2021, 04:38 PM

215 posts, read 43,140 times
She can get a sulfur block from her well water company. We had to do that... I want to say it was under $2,000 and now we don't smell sulfur anymore.

Old Today, 05:00 PM

5,361 posts, read 14,565,903 times
Lots of places in this country have FOUL SMELLING water that is safe to drink. Chilling it in the fridge DOES work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area