U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 69 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently retired and are looking to move to the Sarasota area. We are looking in the 400-550k range and would like to be no more then 20-25 minutes to the Siesta Beach and downtown area. We would like a community with tennis, (no golf)resort style pool, and an active clubhouse with a social director. We would like an area with more mature landscaping and not flat empty spaces. We can do a villa, condominium or house.

I understand that we might not get everything we want but these are our preferences. I know that mature landscaping can mean older houses that can create its own problems on the resale market. We looked at the Landings and was impressed but homes rarely come on the market there. I'm afraid of new construction since the lot we get may not be within our control.

Am I being realistic based on on our price range and given the nature of this hot market? Thanks in advance for any insights I can get.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,548,734 times
You could find that in Venice. Grand Palm, Gran Paradiso, IslandWalk they're all newer so the landscape isn't as mature, but have nice pools. IslandWalk has a very active social scene. Stoneybrook, Venetia both built mid to late 2000s so the landscaping is a little more mature. There's lots of new communities being built, but they flatten everything then put little trees in as landscaping.

One of the prettiest for trees is Plantation. It's an older golf community and I think you need a social membership for tennis. I wouldn't call the pool resort quality but the neighborhoods have big oak trees and lots of shade. I ride my bike through there.

Old Today, 08:56 AM

3,758 posts, read 5,525,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa 29 View Post
My wife and I recently retired and are looking to move to the Sarasota area. We are looking in the 400-550k range and would like to be no more then 20-25 minutes to the Siesta Beach and downtown area. We would like a community with tennis, (no golf)resort style pool, and an active clubhouse with a social director. We would like an area with more mature landscaping and not flat empty spaces. We can do a villa, condominium or house.

I understand that we might not get everything we want but these are our preferences. I know that mature landscaping can mean older houses that can create its own problems on the resale market. We looked at the Landings and was impressed but homes rarely come on the market there. I'm afraid of new construction since the lot we get may not be within our control.

Am I being realistic based on on our price range and given the nature of this hot market? Thanks in advance for any insights I can get.

There are several communities located within Palmer Ranch that would match your criteria for both location and amenities. The oldest of those would be built around 2000, the newest 2021.

The issue is the lack of inventory. When homes such as you describe come on the market, they are literally going under contract within a few days, often at more than list price due to multiple offers. Because new construction has pretty much ground to a halt at this time (many builders are releasing 4 or 5 lots per month at most), buyers who prefer brand new construction are now willing to consider somewhat older homes rather than waiting, which is adding to the competition for resale homes.

I am not trying to discourage you or anyone looking to buy in our area, just want you to be aware that you may need to consider rental housing for a period of time until the inventory of homes for sales starts to catch up with demand.

Old Today, 09:13 AM

116 posts, read 157,389 times
I lived in The Landings for two years and loved it. Fabulous location, 10 minutes to SK, 15 minutes to downtown. Beautifully landscaped and maintained. Great nature trail with fishing dock on the intercoastal.Nice pool, fitness and community center. Very active tennis community. Shopping center just outside the gate with Publix, Starbucks, restaurants. Something for everyone: condos and villas ranging $300k-$1,000M and sf homes on large lots, $600k-$2,000M+ There are a couple of realtors who live there that get a large share of the listings and are probably best bet for knowing what will be coming to market.

Old Today, 02:38 PM

12,105 posts, read 3,830,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
I lived in The Landings for two years and loved it. Fabulous location, 10 minutes to SK, 15 minutes to downtown. Beautifully landscaped and maintained. Great nature trail with fishing dock on the intercoastal.Nice pool, fitness and community center. Very active tennis community. Shopping center just outside the gate with Publix, Starbucks, restaurants. Something for everyone: condos and villas ranging $300k-$1,000M and sf homes on large lots, $600k-$2,000M+ There are a couple of realtors who live there that get a large share of the listings and are probably best bet for knowing what will be coming to market.
The OP's high end is $550k, doable in the Landings? Some homes are in a bad flood zone there too, so be aware. Others are high and dry, so you just need to checl each one out.

Old Today, 06:00 PM

3,758 posts, read 5,525,305 times
The cheapest listing of late in The Landings was listed at just under $660k, but sales prices are often going above the list price. Which is why I suggested trying Palmer Ranch instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area