U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 08:06 AM

88 posts, read 74,375 times

Advertisements

So we made it down yesterday and we are here for a few months for now. Thank
You for all the advice. We are looking through the net for a good down to earth realtor to help us wade into the market and get an idea if the areas we are leaning towards would fit out needs. Just wanted to update. And I must say, wow has river road / west village area been developed since we were here last. I look forward to more exploring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 08:11 AM

204 posts, read 202,387 times
Why not reach out to one you've already been interacting with and who is incredibly helpful to all on this forum? (Hint: Sunshine Rules )

Old 05-10-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
Why not reach out to one you've already been interacting with and who is incredibly helpful to all on this forum? (Hint: Sunshine Rules )
I had no idea. I should have picked up on that after reading the posts from sunshine rules over the last few years. Now I feel silly lol. I’ve stopped assuming these days out of habit. Thank you!

Old 05-20-2021, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 259 times
Just do your research. We have lived in Venice the last 4 1/2 years, and it really earns its nickname ”Heaven's waiting room”. Over 71% of the population of Venice is over 65. The playgrounds and one splashpad are an after thought; the dog parks, however, are numerous and well fenced in. We, along with most of the families we know, are anxious to get out. Even the restaurants and stores, make families feel unwelcome. The older folks will stare at you, and run you over with their shopping carts. Englewood, or ”Oldiewood”, is the same way.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:14 AM

12,289 posts, read 4,062,308 times
Welcome to Shekkie's new identity.

Downtown Venice on the Island is much older than the newer areas off-Island to the North and East. If there were no kids around Venice, why are there so many schools? I think Venice H.S. is in a larger school classification, maybe AAAA, or AAAAA I think. Not 6A like schools in Miami, Orlando, Tampa, ect.., but not 2A, or 3A like schools in rural small towns either.

Did you know the merchants in Downtown "oldsville" Venice hold a trick or treat event each Halloween for the kids? Its well-attended and a lot of fun to watch. If ther were animosity towards young families, I dont think this eventwould be such a success. Senior's fill up Downtown just to see the kids costumes...I'm one of the older people who make the trip Downtown to see them....it's a lot of fun.

There's no denying that this area is older than points North, but there are pockets of families all throughout this forum area.

Old 05-21-2021, 06:08 AM

395 posts, read 235,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Welcome to Shekkie's new identity.

Downtown Venice on the Island is much older than the newer areas off-Island to the North and East. If there were no kids around Venice, why are there so many schools? I think Venice H.S. is in a larger school classification, maybe AAAA, or AAAAA I think. Not 6A like schools in Miami, Orlando, Tampa, ect.., but not 2A, or 3A like schools in rural small towns either.

Did you know the merchants in Downtown "oldsville" Venice hold a trick or treat event each Halloween for the kids? Its well-attended and a lot of fun to watch. If ther were animosity towards young families, I dont think this eventwould be such a success. Senior's fill up Downtown just to see the kids costumes...I'm one of the older people who make the trip Downtown to see them....it's a lot of fun.

There's no denying that this area is older than points North, but there are pockets of families all throughout this forum area.

Very true observation. Venice is changing and trending younger. Yes, we still have plenty of seniors here but not all younger families want to live in Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando or Miami. Many find Venice to their liking.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
Very true observation. Venice is changing and trending younger. Yes, we still have plenty of seniors here but not all younger families want to live in Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando or Miami. Many find Venice to their liking.
Good schools (esecially Venice H.S. & 1 of our Elementary schools), low crime, proximity to high quality beaches w/ free parking, comparitively low cost of living to up in the NE USA, and SE FLA, low taxes, comparivtely low traffic to most other places in FLA and the NE USA...so what if we have more old people than nearly every other place, the positive attributes far outweight the negatives or we wouldn't be trending younger. I'm seeing some temp trailer classrooms outside every school I pass, so enrollment must be growing.

The only bad thing is there's not tons of kids everywhere, & the job market here is mostly low wage service sector jobs. Start your own business, and make $100k+ if you are bold, smart, and hard working.

Pool builders, lanai screeners, Hurricane shutter companies are all weeks out with more demand than supply, and have been for 3 years. Work for one of these existing companies for a year to learn the biz, then start your own. These are just a few examples of under-served service sector niches, where opportunities lie.

Ignore negative nellies & all their excuses. Most are under-achievers who are afraid of their own shadows, and want to drag everyone down to their level, so they don't feel like massive failures.

I succeeded...a "B" student w/ a bad upbringing in beat down places like Detroit & St. Louis; so you can too.

As a top 2%'er, I can live anywhere in the USA I please, & I chose Venice FLA. I'd have moved here sooner, but our Son was too well established in school, with his large circle friends, and year round athletics, to uproot him. We waited until he went off the college instead. He loves bringing his pals down here to visit. They just drive up to Siesta Key to be around the 18-22 year old crowd.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:13 AM

I couldn’t agree more. Just as an update , we decided to go for South Venice and found a great house. We are set for closing this month.
We have lived plenty of places and I just have to say, Venice does not feel old. We seem to desire stability, calm and quiet, cleanliness, and places that feel like the folks here want to take care of what they have.
Most of the areas of the south that are “young” or family driven that we have lived, seem fast paced, growing faster than anyone cares to admit, and the local economies don’t support the high prices, meaning there’s lots of turnovers. The amount of people who move with no job blew me away.
As far as amenities for kids, Venice turns out to be very accommodating. St. John’s county is touted as family friendly but county parks , public areas, and overall non private amenities are scarce. Venice and Sarasota county in general are on par with Charleston Sc and the county parks and Rec there. Which I believe is probably the best in the south that we have seen. The amount of quality playgrounds parks and green space , with the beaches and accessibility / parking is unparalleled. Good luck finding parking on isle of palms on Saturday morning.
We are very excited to settle in and real estate is still within reason here unlike other places we looked. It certainly is getting crazy competitive but it’s worth it for us.
Thank you all for your guidance and support. I look forward to more conversations about where to dine!

Old 06-04-2021, 11:42 AM

204 posts, read 202,387 times
Yay! So happy you guys were able to find your spot.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:45 AM

I agree with the OP's comments about our parks, greenspaces, and beach parking acessibility.

We considered the Panhandle, but they are sorely lacking in beach parking & amenities, so we took a pass, and wound up in Southern Sarasota County instead. We have no regrets, but I'm ready for more young people to move in since we are young retirees.

I like that part of South Venice that is waterfront, and have boat docks. I also think that beach club ferry is a great asset to the community.

In your immediate area, we like Big Mike's Pizza, & for more upscale dining, Luciano's. For sushi, Baiyoke's good. For fast food, we love Culver's near the Lowe's. These are all along 41.

A bit further...I'm hearing great things about our new Indian Restaurant futher North along 41 in Northern Venice. If you explore Englewood, just to our South, you'll find Farlow's that is a near universal favorite for Carribean fare. I don't eat meat, but the 2 barbecue places near Downtown Venice must be good based upon the cars in their parking lots....Darrell's & Gold Rush. For breakfast, we like Abby's on Miami in Downtown Venice. For waterfront views, Fins at the Pier, & Crow's Nest along the Venice inlet are my favs, but they are pricey. Right now, "Savor Sarasota" is going on which is an off-season promotion by many of this areas dining establishments you should try. It's set to end June 14th, but some places will extend that date. Here's the link:

https://www.visitsarasota.com/savor-sarasota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area