U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 09:39 AM

88 posts, read 72,903 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I had a couple old threads before the pandemic about moving down to SW FL and I had some great feedback. I wanted to check on the status of the area and get some opinions.

We have two young girls 3&5. I work remotely and my wife is a nurse(currently staying home). We are living in saint augustine beach in an rv currently. We visited the Venice Englewood area in 2019 for a few weeks.

We spend the majority of our time at the beach or pool. Parks, splash pads, and good food spots are important.

We are considering coming to stay in an rv park for a while due to the cost of real estate, low supply of houses and lots here in st Augustine.

We came here for the schools and the beach, and things to do, and the ability to get out of the strict HOA neighborhoods as we are not looking for a place that we can’t keep our rv .

If we were 15 minutes to the beach we might go 3 or 4 times a week.
Eventually we would like to get a deck boat and do that as well. Maybe some jet skis.

All that said, our concerns with the Venice and Englewood areas are :
Red tide frequency
Heat and possibly lack of refreshing breeze (off the beach) (not sure)
Lack of close proximity splash parks and kid friendly amenities
We will miss the ocean and waves
Schools are good in Sarasota I see but not so good in Venice, Englewood and the gulf stream, south gulf cove areas.

We might consider fort Myers and or Bonita springs but we would have to come down to get a feel and see how affordable things are there.

Can anyone shed light on our concern list and let me know how things are faring there? What about rv parks without age restrictions that you have experience with?

We have a budget for house of 500k or less and would like to be a non strict hoa or non hoa , 15 or so to the beach, or a beach, in a decent school area.

What is the housing market like there?

Thank you all for everything!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 10:17 AM

173 posts, read 78,071 times
Red tide used to be fairly uncommon, but it was bad in 2018 and it’s present so far in 2021. I’m concerned this may be another bad year since waters are just now approaching 80f. Long-term I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Regarding heat, it’s Florida. May and June are the hottest months, but the sea breeze usually is helpful. In any event, you’ll probably reserve most outdoor activities for Oct-Apr.

I can’t comment on whether or not there are splash parks, but there are plenty of things to do.

The Gulf of Mexico is a lot better than the Atlantic side in my opinion. The water is much warmer, looks nicer, and being placid makes it easy to swim. Occasionally there are waves and I’ve seen some people surf even, it just isn’t the norm.

Schools in Venice are good as far as I know.

As far as housing goes, it’s like pretty much everywhere right now. Sellers market with multiple offers on most homes. For 500k I’d look at Nokomis, Laurel, and Osprey. No, they’re not in Venice but they’re close and in better proximity to Sarasota.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:44 AM

197 posts, read 180,372 times
Not 15 mins to the beach but has most everything else you're looking for in North Fort Myers: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...45382237_zpid/

Old 05-04-2021, 01:14 PM

392 posts, read 231,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens84 View Post
Hello everyone. I had a couple old threads before the pandemic about moving down to SW FL and I had some great feedback. I wanted to check on the status of the area and get some opinions.

We have two young girls 3&5. I work remotely and my wife is a nurse(currently staying home). We are living in saint augustine beach in an rv currently. We visited the Venice Englewood area in 2019 for a few weeks.

We spend the majority of our time at the beach or pool. Parks, splash pads, and good food spots are important.

We are considering coming to stay in an rv park for a while due to the cost of real estate, low supply of houses and lots here in st Augustine.

We came here for the schools and the beach, and things to do, and the ability to get out of the strict HOA neighborhoods as we are not looking for a place that we can’t keep our rv .

If we were 15 minutes to the beach we might go 3 or 4 times a week.
Eventually we would like to get a deck boat and do that as well. Maybe some jet skis.

All that said, our concerns with the Venice and Englewood areas are :
Red tide frequency
Heat and possibly lack of refreshing breeze (off the beach) (not sure)
Lack of close proximity splash parks and kid friendly amenities
We will miss the ocean and waves
Schools are good in Sarasota I see but not so good in Venice, Englewood and the gulf stream, south gulf cove areas.

We might consider fort Myers and or Bonita springs but we would have to come down to get a feel and see how affordable things are there.

Can anyone shed light on our concern list and let me know how things are faring there? What about rv parks without age restrictions that you have experience with?

We have a budget for house of 500k or less and would like to be a non strict hoa or non hoa , 15 or so to the beach, or a beach, in a decent school area.

What is the housing market like there?

Thank you all for everything!

I can't speak for Englewood but many of the neighborhoods here in Venice have HOAs where you cannot have a boat parked outside. In general, the newer the housing area the more likely you'll have an HOA here in Venice. The South Venice area west of highway 41 and south of Venice island have no HOAs that would prohibit you from parking a boat in your yard. I lived in south Venice and had several neighbors who had boats parked outside. The majority of South Venice homes are on well and septic, though, and that is a negative to many people. Venice island doesn't prohibit boats either but the homes there are very pricey.

As for water parks I don't know of any around Venice but there may be one in nearby North Port. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

Schools in Venice have a good reputation. I have neighbors whose kids go to Venice High School and they like it. Great sports programs there.

Red Tide is always possible here but you can never say for sure when it will hit or how long it will stay.

IMO I believe that July, August, September and October are our worst months. As the heat builds in the Gulf the dew point gets worse and worse. The Gulf waters are like a hot tub by August. I have walked the beach here in August in the middle of the night and I swear my eyeballs were sweating. No wind then to speak of either. My girlfriend and I usually get out of here in September or October.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:01 PM

173 posts, read 78,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
IMO I believe that July, August, September and October are our worst months. As the heat builds in the Gulf the dew point gets worse and worse. The Gulf waters are like a hot tub by August. I have walked the beach here in August in the middle of the night and I swear my eyeballs were sweating. No wind then to speak of either. My girlfriend and I usually get out of here in September or October.
My understanding is the reason May and June are the hottest months is because you’re basically getting summer heat, but without the afternoon thunderstorms. Once the rainy starts it helps cool things off in the evenings. That said, if there’s a dry spell during August it is pretty brutal!

Old 05-04-2021, 03:42 PM

3,795 posts, read 5,619,101 times
The housing market in the entire Bradenton - Sarasota - Venice - North Port - Englewood market is very much a seller's market at this time. Latest statistics from our MLS indicate we are now down to a one month supply of homes for sale. Six months worth of inventory is considered a "balanced" market. Over 1/2 the homes sold recently went at or above the list price. $20k - $25k over list price is not uncommon these days.

If you do not want deed restrictions, your options for anything in the way of newer construction are extremely limited. North Port seems to match most of your requirements except being 15 minutes from the beach. It even meets your splash park criteria: https://www.cityofnorthport.com/gove...aquatic-center

Much of North Port (outside of designated subdivisions) is not deed restricted. However, even in non deed restricted neighborhoods you will want to check with the local municipality rules regarding things like RVs and boats because yes, they regulate what you can have, where you can park it, etc. Most local government zoning allows for one RV or boat but not both. Last I checked Sarasota county allows for one boat or 2 RV vehicles with some restrictions.

There are actually quite a few residential neighborhoods of older homes in the south Sarasota area that are not deed restricted and meet your price criteria that would also put you about 15 - 25 minutes from a public beach.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:58 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,592,877 times
If you're going to live in the RV, I suggest searching the sex offender registry. Especially with 2 young children. https://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/of...ops/search.jsf
There is an RV park in Venice on River Road where there had been a number of offenders registered as living in that park.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
The housing market in the entire Bradenton - Sarasota - Venice - North Port - Englewood market is very much a seller's market at this time. Latest statistics from our MLS indicate we are now down to a one month supply of homes for sale. Six months worth of inventory is considered a "balanced" market. Over 1/2 the homes sold recently went at or above the list price. $20k - $25k over list price is not uncommon these days.

If you do not want deed restrictions, your options for anything in the way of newer construction are extremely limited. North Port seems to match most of your requirements except being 15 minutes from the beach. It even meets your splash park criteria: https://www.cityofnorthport.com/gove...aquatic-center

Much of North Port (outside of designated subdivisions) is not deed restricted. However, even in non deed restricted neighborhoods you will want to check with the local municipality rules regarding things like RVs and boats because yes, they regulate what you can have, where you can park it, etc. Most local government zoning allows for one RV or boat but not both. Last I checked Sarasota county allows for one boat or 2 RV vehicles with some restrictions.

There are actually quite a few residential neighborhoods of older homes in the south Sarasota area that are not deed restricted and meet your price criteria that would also put you about 15 - 25 minutes from a public beach.
Thank you so much for all the info. We looked at shamrock park area in Venice and also the gulf stream blvd area in Englewood as well as south gulf cove. I heard from someone on here that they have internet out in SGC now. We can wait to build on a lot, we have some flexibility having the RV to live
In as long as we can find a nice clean park to stay in. We are staying in a nice park now
In saint Augustine beach and it has been great.

Even though prices are going up down there, for what I’m looking at , prices are still more affordable than saint John’s county. Houses here that have flooded are selling for $300 a square foot and more. Now granted we are right on the island but it’s barely cheaper inland unless you go to a master planned
Community.

Lots are running $110k off the island and $165k on and there’s only a couple left not in planned communities
In comparison lots down there seem to be cheaper although it looks like there are fewer and fewer to be had.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
Not 15 mins to the beach but has most everything else you're looking for in North Fort Myers: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...45382237_zpid/
Looks very appealing. We would have to check that area out. We have never been past Englewood. I have a friend who lives in Bonita Springs and loves it. They travel to fort Myers frequently. Thank you!

Old 05-04-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
If you're going to live in the RV, I suggest searching the sex offender registry. Especially with 2 young children. https://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/of...ops/search.jsf
There is an RV park in Venice on River Road where there had been a number of offenders registered as living in that park.
That’s great advice. We keep a very close watch and there’s no time they are away or alone but we can never be too careful . Just checked the area we are in now. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area