U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 99,689 times

Advertisements

We're exploring places to eventually retire to, and really like Bradenton but are worried about the crime. Could anyone tell me what neighborhoods in Sarasota are desirable? Not too expensive.... mid $200,000's to mid $300,000's... close to downtown... what about the 34237 zipcode, 34236? We wouldn't like a gated, cul-de-sac kind of place. I like the idea of being close to shops, bookstores, theatre. Are there any places like this that exist anymore that are nice places to live? Any info will be much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 04:14 PM

393 posts, read 1,655,926 times
Wink sarasota neighborhoods

mary, you might try any areas south of Bee Ridge Road. We just relocated from the 34233 area, and loved it there. Mix of small non gated subdivisions, and areas of no subdivisions or restrictions, and every price range. We had some very nice neighbors where we were. More desirable school district is Ashton school in that area. Not hoity toity, prices in your desired range. Perfect location. 4 miles to beach, 4 miles to interstate. Left for family. Miss it already.... Good luck, hope this helps, can tell you about this area if you need more info.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 41,749 times
Default Considering buying a vacation home in Sarasota

Hello,
could anyone advise me of the pitfalls of owning a vacation home (not a condo) in Sarasota, FL especially if you are only using it 3 -4 times a year until retirement 5 years from now ?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:17 PM

14,495 posts, read 25,203,686 times
We have a house in Boca we rent out from time to time. According to my realtor, the issue with renting out a house is most people in S. Florida are savvy, and end up buying.

Of course if you don't rent it out and don't mind if it's vacant, then the only concern would be making it look occupied, so you wouldn't have to worry about theft.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 AM

4,849 posts, read 13,286,507 times
Default Condo life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytosarasota View Post
Hello,
could anyone advise me of the pitfalls of owning a vacation home (not a condo) in Sarasota, FL especially if you are only using it 3 -4 times a year until retirement 5 years from now ?
Well, if it's sitting empty, you're missing out on rental income....plus what everyone who moves down here forgets about...just because it's warm:

You still need to diconnect your hot water, toilets, laundry facilities...if you're not here and a pipe bursts (I work for a property mgt. firm on Longboat Key), you will flood yourself...and, if you're on a second or higher floor, you will flood your neighbors.

Toilets that aren't taken care of will crack while you're gone....

You will not have a homestead exemption.

You will need to pay someone to come in once a week to check your unit for broken/burst pipes, insects, problems...

If you do not set your A/C and humidifier properly, you will get mold in your unit.

Just because you're not living in your condo, it still needs care.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:48 PM

80 posts, read 323,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybs View Post
Could anyone tell me what neighborhoods in Sarasota are desirable? Not too expensive.... mid $200,000's to mid $300,000's... close to downtown... what about the 34237 zipcode, 34236? We wouldn't like a gated, cul-de-sac kind of place. I like the idea of being close to shops, bookstores, theatre. Are there any places like this that exist anymore that are nice places to live? Any info will be much appreciated!
The PERFECT area for you is the Gulf Gate subdivision in Sarasota. Walk to Publix, Marshalls, Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy, Book Store, and at least 10 nice neighborhood restaurants. Home prices are in your range. 15 minutes to downtown. Look in and around zip code 34231. BTW I live in this zip code.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 99,689 times
Thanks-- this does sound great. Looking forward to looking! We won't be able to buy anything for awhile, but I feel that this time is spent wisely by doing as much research as I can. I really appreciate everyone's input; it's hard to really know what a place is like by just looking, or looking with a realtor. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:55 PM

8,190 posts, read 29,790,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytosarasota View Post
Hello,
You will have a hard time getting/keeping insurance on a home that is not occupied. When I lived in FL many of my neighbors were not full time residents. Every last one of them got dropped, and they all had trouble finding new carriers. As another poster mentioned, you will not qualify for the Homestead cap on your property tax, and you will be paying tax at the full assessed value.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 41,749 times
Thank you for all the good information by the members. I never thought I would have to worry about insurance on a vacation home.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:03 AM

5 posts, read 65,472 times
Default Bradenton Florida

Have you thought about living in the Bradenton area? Manatee county taxes are lower than Sarasota, we had no problem getting HOI and home prices are lower. Lakewood Ranch is a beautiful community minutes away from Sarasota. We live in Eastern Manatee and just love it! Quiet community, nice neighbors and no more than 30 minutes to the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area